Do Not Sell My Personal Information

iPhone 3gs Bluetooth & USB issue?

Fraser.

Hi guys,

I have my iPhone linked up to the car via USB for my

music, and bluetooth for calls. However if I recieve a call when listenening to a track off the iPod, I can take the call as normal but when the calls ended the music doesn't resume playing. I have to press the ok button twice to resume. It's not a great hardship but I'd rather it just

resume playing.

Does everyone elses do this or just mine? Lol

yes i experience the same thing when i receive calls from withheld numbers on my phone very strange the phone just won't transfer to the radio so that it rings through the Speakers and that's with just the radio on.and also transferred an album from amazon tunes to usb stick and now have four of every song on it :angry: :angry:

• 2 months later...

Having troubles with mine too :( It seems the car/phone get confused between the speaker modes.....I've had the following

1. Works fine....occasionally

2. iPod track details displayed fine, but no sound in ipod mode

either => 2.a. press aux again and sound on 'line-in'

or => 2.b. press aux and get sound on 'bluetooth' mode

Is this the iPhone or the car causing the problems?

I thought I'd ask a question around this topic hope somebody has the answer...

You lot seem to be using the same device (iPhone) for calls and music...handy and fair enough...

I really hope my car (when it arrives) isn't going to get confused with the following - I'll be keeping my phone (iPhone 3G) in a "mount" attached to the dash somewhere and ONLY using it for calls; but for music it'll be iPod Nano (generation before the current one) via USB.

Anyone foresee any problems with this setup??? Like when a call comes through, the music should cut out and call come through right?

Thanks in advance.

Peter.

You lot seem to be using the same device (iPhone) for calls and music...handy and fair enough...

I really hope my car (when it arrives) isn't going to get confused with the following - I'll be keeping my phone (iPhone 3G) in a "mount" attached to the dash somewhere and ONLY using it for calls; but for music it'll be iPod Nano (generation before the current one) via USB.

Anyone foresee any problems with this setup??? Like when a call comes through, the music should cut out and call come through right?

Thanks in advance.

Peter.

If your iPhone is just set to bluetooth and the nano is playing through AUX, then I don't think you should have any problems.

Thanks in advance.

Peter.

Nope, no problems what so ever, cause that's the EXACT same thing that I have done. Works fine, also my iPhone works as an iPod fine but I can't change tracks etc with the stereo. No biggy as I use my Nano, the stereo is also very fast changing tracks with the Nano too. Oh I have the fatboy Nano, I think it's the third gen one?

Cheers for the replies guys. I'll probably be using Y-Cable for Nano and yeah iPhone will be in pocket or a mount if I can find a decent one.

Thanks again this helps.

B)

Peter

i use a first gen nano and it works fine,though my 3gs just says"device not compatible" any of you guys know how i can cure this?

i dont have an iPhone but i do use a 2nd gen ipod touch, will this work in my fiesta with the cable, before i splash out on the cable

i dont have an iphone but i do use a 2nd gen ipod touch, will this work in my fiesta with the cable, before i splash out on the cable

Yep, got one myself and it works fine.

Yep, got one myself and it works fine.

nice one, thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I've just bought a Focus 1.6 Titanium with the Communications Pack. When i plug my Ipod Touch in through the USB, i'm able to navigate thorugh my music no problem but when i play anything there is no sound.

I've made sure the volume is up on the Ipod but there is a 'mute' symbol that appears on the radio screen.

Can anyone help with this?

I've just bought a Focus 1.6 Titanium with the Communications Pack. When i plug my Ipod Touch in through the USB, i'm able to navigate thorugh my music no problem but when i play anything there is no sound.

I've made sure the volume is up on the Ipod but there is a 'mute' symbol that appears on the radio screen.

Can anyone help with this?

You need a Y cable from Ford or I think they can be had from E Bay for £15 to £20. It utilises the USB for the info from the iPod and the 2.5mm jack plug for the sound. I think that's correct,but I've never used the iPod, prefer a USB stick.

Alternatively, you can get a USB stick and plug it in the USB slot which does everything the iPod does.

The advantage of the USB stick is that you can leave it in the car at all times negating the need to plug the iPod in and remembering to take it out. Of course, you can use a USB extension etc and hide the ipod away, but it's a lot of hassle. Plus, you have the added bopnus of using iTunes less often. ;)

See here for more info on the Y cable

Thanks Keith, i never thought about using a USB stick. Think i'll try it out.

Just make sure it's formatted in FAT32 before you put your MP3's on or else the car won't read it.

I usually have the folders named " x artist - x album" with the MP3,s inside, do this for each album and it makes it easier to navigate.

• 4 months later...

Im having problems connecting my iPhone 3gs to my fiesta. I've bought the y cable from the ford dealer and it worked perfectly for the first couple of times.

But now when I plug in my iPhone it comes up with a message saying activate airplane mode. If I click no my fiesaa picks up the iPhone and can play all my music. But sometimes when I connect my phone it doesn't come up with any message and car won't find my iPhone.

I have tried unplugging cable, turnin off stereo, turning off and restarting engine and non work. I have to leave car a few hours an then it sometimes decides it wants to work when I reconnect iPhone.

Has anyone got the same problem or any solutions?

Also does anyones dash (under stereo controls/climate control) make a whirring noise like a worn out fan?

I've got a ford fiesta titanium 1.6 TDCI (march 09 build)

bluetooth and handfree

climate control

keyless entry and power start button

titanium x pack

Cheers

Ok so this is actually something I can assist people with. Being such an Apple fan, I too experience this issue.

This issue is part Ford and part Apple. If your Fiesta has bluetooth, you will notice every time your stereo is on your iPod function on your iPhone will be playing music. This is an Apple issue, and all cars with bluetooth experience this. Apple deny that the problem exists, but so many people all around the world have this.

Your issue with your iPhone not playing music is a Ford problem. Because the Fiesta can play both via bluetooth and the USB function via the Y Cable, it gets confused with what function to use. By default, whatever function is active first will play for a few seconds, that is if your iPhone is connected via USB it will play for a few seconds until the Bluetooth kicks in and all of a sudden the music stops, but it says the song is still playing. You need to open iPod on your iPhone, press 'Ford Audio' right at the bottom, and then select 'Dock Connector.' This will enable you to play music through your iPhone via USB and control it with your steering wheel functions. This works sometimes, as again the unit can get confused with the Bluetooth. iPhone doesn't know where to send the signal. Sometimes it'll display the song as playing, but it's not playing, sometimes just freezes and says the song is something like 18 hours long.

Best way? Turn your can to accessories, wait for Bluetooth to connect, then connect your iPhone. That way your saying to the iPhone and Ford Audio to override the Bluetooth song playing, and use iPhone via a Dock Connection. You will have full control with Voice Control, you're able to access playlists and control your iPhone via the steering wheel. This will work 99% of the time. You can still make and receive calls, sometimes it won't connect after though, you need to open your iPhone, select iPod and made sure it's connection via Dock. If this fails, disconnect and then reconnect. Make sure however that your in the Radio function before disconnecting.

Now when it says 'This device is not made for iPhone' select 'No' and continue as usual. You may need to change the connection method in iPod (Ford Audio or Dock connector are your options here).

iPhone has a few issue with all Bluetooth modules, but after you get used to the behaviour of the iPhone and the Ford Audio unit, you're fine. Please do not hesitate to ask a question if you guys need some help. Others have helped me many times so I'm more than happy to assist. :)

GOOD LUCK!

If i were to be naughty and jailbroke my iPhone and disabled streaming over bluetooth, would this work better do you think?

Not worth it IMHO. Just learn the habits of your iPhone and Ford Audio and it'll work a treat. As others have said, a USB stick is a perfect fix to all these issues! I have plenty in my car.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Am thinking of upgrading to the new iPhone 3GS - but before I do... does anyone know if this is compatible with a 2009 Fiesta for bluetooth/hands free/voice control, as I would be pretty narked if I couldn't use my steering wheel voice activate button! You come to rely on these things. Please help. Thanks,

Sarah

Hi guys,

Am thinking of upgrading to the new iphone 3GS - but before I do... does anyone know if this is compatible with a 2009 Fiesta for bluetooth/hands free/voice control, as I would be pretty narked if I couldn't use my steering wheel voice activate button! You come to rely on these things. Please help. Thanks,

Sarah

The new iPhone 4G should be out in the next few months so it might be worth waiting for that.

Also a software update should also be out for all the iphone's soon so hopefully that might fix the ipod automatically playing on the phone when connecting to the cars bluetooth.

Sorry i only have the 3G myself but i was thinking of upgrading like you but i'm going to hang on until July (ish) for newer phone

I used to use my iPhone 3G to stream music via bluetooth but now i use an old iPod connected via the Ford Y Cable and have a HTC Desire to take calls, etc through the bluetooth. It all works fine now but I used to have all sorts of problems when using my iPhone 3G, when my mate gets in the car his iPhone automatically starts playing music to the car even if that source isnt selected which is very annoying for his battery life :unsure:

EDIT: The 'iPhone 4G' is getting announced at WWDC in June and should be out in July for anyone interested

Edited by Chris Ecc