Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Windscreen Replacement

TomsFocus

So, I've booked replacement for tomorrow morning... Gonna miss the crack after all this time haha. :lol:

They haven't asked what 'extras' I have on the screen so that'll probably be wrong. Also, will I have to remove the dashcam wiring or will they just treat that as the rest of the screen wiring?

If the screen is heated or has any other sensors attached, it may be wise to let them know, although reputable windscreen replacement companies should know what is standard fitment on any given car i.m.e.

I'd ask about the dashcam wiring as that may, or may not, be charged as an extra

• Like 1

I don't do telephones. :( Thought they may've had a box to write the extras on the online booking form but didn't see one!

It's all on ETIS if they have access to that sort of build data tbf. I think Titaniums all had the auto wiper/light sensor and heated screen though. Not really fussed if it comes with the IR reflection as that doesn't seem to do anything anyway lol.

I don't do telephones. :( Thought they may've had a box to write the extras on the online booking form but didn't see one!

It's all on ETIS if they have access to that sort of build data tbf. I think Titaniums all had the auto wiper/light sensor and heated screen though. Not really fussed if it comes with the IR reflection as that doesn't seem to do anything anyway lol.

I / R reflective windscreens help keep your car interior cooler & can save fuel over the long term, if & when we get hot days, & as your car is black it'll heat up quicker than a lighter coloured car on a hot day

So, I've booked replacement for tomorrow morning... Gonna miss the crack after all this time haha. :lol:They haven't asked what 'extras' I have on the screen so that'll probably be wrong. Also, will I have to remove the dashcam wiring or will they just treat that as the rest of the screen wiring?

The 'fitter' should check the screen he has is identical with yours before he starts. When they did mine I watched him and he showed me where the old ORIGINAL Ford screen hadn't even been bonded to the bodywork! How it never leaked I'll never know!

• Like 1

I had a couple of new screens on my old ST TDCi & all Autoglass needed was the registration number to identify the correct replacement.

• Like 3

I wonder if they will replace a standard heated window with the one with auto sensors...

I / R reflective windscreens help keep your car interior cooler & can save fuel over the long term, if & when we get hot days, & as your car is black it'll heat up quicker than a lighter coloured car on a hot day

It didn't do that in the summer. :( Coupled with the useless manual air con it was basically a sauna in there lol. :lol:

So, it was of course the wrong screen, I should've bet on that. :P

The label was correct but had been put on the wrong screen!

2nd time lucky tomorrow hopefully...

So, it was of course the wrong screen, I should've bet on that. :P

The label was correct but had been put on the wrong screen!

2nd time lucky tomorrow hopefully...

Who is the supplier ?

Well the glass is right this time! :)

Turns out they label each screen as it leaves rather than batches so I was just unlucky there.

Now being fitted...fingers crossed!

• Like 2

Well the glass is right this time! :)Turns out they label each screen as it leaves rather than batches so I was just unlucky there.Now being fitted...fingers crossed!

A cup of tea and deep breaths, it'll all be over shortly. I watched the guy do mine as I was genuinely interested in how they do it, he made it look so easy!

• Like 1

Lol, I don't like being watched so I'm resisting the urge to stand there watching him, do keep peeking through the window though haha.

I don't like another man touching my car though, she's gonna feel all dirty afterwards. :(

• Like 3

i stood right there watching when mine was being replaced, make sure they put a nice gob of sealant around the glass and that there is no gaps left around it. and the surface is free of rust.

also keep an eye on the foam/rubber pad along the bottom and make sure its straight when the windscreen is installed

Too late, it's already done! I'm sure he knows what he's doing...

On another note, I'm glad it's getting done through insurance, had a slight system issue with insurance yesterday...the full price would've been £502!!

• Like 2

Auto lights and wipers stuck in default, comms error in forscan. :( how do o remove the mirror to check its plugged in properly?

Pull the upper section of the trim panel (on the windscreen) upwards and remove any clips, then pull the bottom part downwards and again remove any clips, this should allow you to see the connector. If you want to remove the mirror turn the bracket anti clockwise but be warned it can be a pain to replace. Have a look half way down this page http://www.justanswer.com/ford/5um04-ford-focus-ghia-hello-i-need-remove-rear-view-mirror.html

Just an edit: you could phone the windscreen company and tell them the sensors aren't working properly and they'll come back out! The fitter should have switched the auto wipers on and sprayed water across the screen to check they auto wiped.

• Like 1

Thanks Russ. Trim removed but no loose connections so guess the sensor itself has been damaged. :(

Thanks Russ. Trim removed but no loose connections so guess the sensor itself has been damaged. :(

Does the sensor gel bag appear to have an air pocket against the windscreen?

Edited due to writing this using an iPad !

Sensor mount looks a bit poor tbh, but not sure if there's an air pocket?

post-58818-0-57378500-1451578675_thumb.j

I know I'll have to get autoglass back next week. Wish I hadn't had it done now. :s

If you look at your sensor there is a small curved area at the top......look at the attached photo of mine, it's positioned at the bottom of the sensor (as is my sons on his car), I wonder if your Gel Pack is the wrong way around?

Also look here as it could be misaligned .... http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/56673-headlightrain-sensors-new-windscreen/

Edited to add the forum page link

post-1371-0-35215600-1451579734_thumb.jp

Hmm, that's interesting. I didn't know it could be upside down (would think it'd work either way) but there must be a reason for that bump.

• Like 1

Lol, I don't like being watched so I'm resisting the urge to stand there watching him, do keep peeking through the window though haha.

I don't like another man touching my car though, she's gonna feel all dirty afterwards. :(

don't worry you can wash and polish till your heart is contended :lol:

Can't, no car washing for 2 days after a new screen! I have had the anti-bac wipes out inside though. :P

• Like 1