Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Finally! Sky Fibre Ordered...

jmurray01

Unlimited here too - it's the only way . . :)

Even though I rarely download anything to the HDD, I watch around 3 hours of YouTube videos (in HD) every day so although I've never actually checked what my monthly usage is, I suspect it is higher than most of the packages around!

Nothing beats the peace of mind you get with unlimited.

• Like 2

Well done to you all, I can't get fibre even though apparently according to the Openreach engineer there is a fibre cabinet right next to the cabinet I am on, go figure.

So Sky unlimited broadband it is, free for a year with £100 M+S voucher which bought me some new clothes.

I can hardly handle the speeds i am getting it's just mind blowing lol

4813465797.png

Slower than 75% of the UK how nice, how lucky am I?

/end sarcasm mode

Jesus Murphy, that's bad! Although your upload speed is actually the same as mine, which is weird.

post-15085-0-83348400-1446986071_thumb.p

Openreach ( part of B.T. I think ) did call 2 days after installation & connected a meter to the openreach socket in our home to test the speed.

The B.T. home hub 5 arrived in the post several days before the activation day - which was described as '' being before midnight '' on that day & was in fact around 10.00 a.m.

Internet access was down for about 20 minutes whilst the changeover was done at the cabinet up the road I presume

So far so good & we're very happy with being able to run 2 laptops, 2 phones & the T.V. simultaneously :)

Openreach ( part of B.T. I think ) did call 2 days after installation & connected a meter to the openreach socket in our home to test the speed.

The B.T. home hub 5 arrived in the post several days before the activation day - which was described as '' being before midnight '' on that day & was in fact around 10.00 a.m.

Internet access was down for about 20 minutes whilst the changeover was done at the cabinet up the road I presume

So far so good & we're very happy with being able to run 2 laptops, 2 phones & the T.V. simultaneously :)

That's pretty much the most stress mine will be put under as well, but I like having a "reserve".

A bit like having a car with a top speed of 100MPH. You'll never need it for daily driving but if you ever have to overtake, you know the car is capable.

Jesus Murphy, that's bad! Although your upload speed is actually the same as mine, which is weird.

attachicon.gifOokla.png

True but that's the price I pay for living in a little village almost in the middle of nowhere.

But then again look at the ping speeds I am getting a much better ping speed than you are. Lol

True but that's the price I pay for living in a little village almost in the middle of nowhere.

But then again look at the ping speeds I am getting a much better ping speed than you are. Lol

I used to live in a wee village myself and I can't remember the exact speed obtained, but I'm pretty sure it was around 4-5 down and less than .5 up. Chronic to say the least.

Even watching a YouTube video was impossible sometimes without setting it to 240p! Even 360p took 3 minutes to load 1 minute of footage.

BT infitity is the way forward, I'd say 9/10 of the things I hear about sky are negative

All fibre broadband is the same speed as BT infinity as it is the same equipment between your socket and the exchange. It just depends on the ISP network it connects to.

In terms of network quality from my experience BT and sky are on par. But BT is over prices you get better value for money with sky.

I prefer plusnet at the same price though as you get Qos so can have a download running without it hogging all the bandwidth preventing a video playing. That and the customer service is better than everyone else we have been with.

All fibre broadband is the same speed as BT infinity as it is the same equipment between your socket and the exchange. It just depends on the ISP network it connects to.

In terms of network quality from my experience BT and sky are on par. But BT is over prices you get better value for money with sky.

I prefer plusnet at the same price though as you get Qos so can have a download running without it hogging all the bandwidth preventing a video playing. That and the customer service is better than everyone else we have been with.

I find the Sky routers to be unreliable & have pretty rubbish range compared to BTs offering. Too many of my family members have had bad experiences with them

There customer service is just as bad too

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yeah the sky hub is poor but the money you save over BT can buy you a better one, lol.

Could you explain that a bit?

Having checked BT infinity all they can offer me is 46mb minimum with 55-74possibly.

Yet on Virgin Media I have an unlimited rock steady 162mb for the same price.

Sorry, should have excluded Vm.

Vm has its own cable network, everyone else uses the BT network between house and exchange.

Vm coverage is quite limited though so many can only use offering via BT.

• Like 1

Sorry, should have excluded Vm.

Vm has its own cable network, everyone else uses the BT network between house and exchange.

Vm coverage is quite limited though so many can only use offering via BT.

Ah that makes sense, thanks for clearing it up for me.

Well, the fibre op seems to be active (see below screen shot), however the speeds aren't exactly what I was promised when I got the email including the line: "You should expect a Guaranteed Minimum Access Line Speed of 36.1 Mb"... Yeah! Not exactly.

post-15085-0-82498800-1447102181_thumb.p

Need to give it 10 days to settle before worrying too much about speed.

That said we were promised 35 ish and only get 20 and that's after they replaced a corroded phone line, lol.

• Like 1

That's more like it! Just need to actually put it to use now...

post-15085-0-06208700-1447110026_thumb.p

It will be up and down a bit where it tries to find the fastest stable speed for your line.

Think we ended up with between 35 & 70Mbs download & 8-25Mbs upload. The lower only occurs occasionally & there's not much of a drop at peak times :)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

As said it will take 10 days of fluctuating speeds to find the most stable speed for the line. Think yourself lucky considering I still can't get fibre lol

• Like 1

I'm on Normal Sky Broadband and i cant complain currently, Set up a wired connection from my router to the Xbox One and did a test, was getting 10mb down and 1.5mb up. Wireless signal is good but not as fast as wired.

I cant grumble with it to be honest i got two years free when I moved to my current property, I would upgrade but the landlord is selling the house i'm in so i can't currently :(

• Like 1

I was told that the further you are away from the datacenter the slower the speed on fiber. Some places are just better off with regular broadband.

Not the datacenter but your cabinet distance makes a difference. Cabinet is always closer than exchange but if you are too far then VDSL can't work and you get better speed communicating directly with the exchange via ADSL. Ping will not be so good though.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club