Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fusion Dashboard Storage Lid Latch (Again)

seka1980

Hi people

I really need some advice on how to sort out a problem with the storage department in my dash board on my 2005 ford fusion

I am unable to close it and it feels like the spring has gone in the latch, I have undone 2 screws as per the atttched photo but the whole thing doesn't seem to come out and I don't want to break it, an suggestions on what to do

any help would be greatly appreciated

Jon

post-50995-0-30824100-1446487660_thumb.j

Been struggling myself for a year it seems to be a secret nobody knows

tegs 98411

The Haynes manual only says this about the storage compartment: Remove storage compartment from the centre of the facia and where fitted remove the air temperature sensor.

It shows the removal of the two fixings you have removed. It seems to lift up from the front.

Here are the images:

post-66292-0-29322300-1446996615_thumb.j

post-66292-0-34063800-1446996609_thumb.j

Thanks for the picture it does show what the hidden clips look like, I have been pushing them in from the inside it looks as though you have to pull them out from the inside with small tool .

tegs

• 6 months later...

Old post I know, but thought I'd share this. To remove the tray, take out the two big screws, get a long flat screwdriver and a bike tyre lever. Ease the tray up above the air vents, while holding it slip the screw driver between dash and tray and push the latch/clip to release it. Then do the same above the other vent. Took me maybe a couple of minutes to release the tray. 

Now the fun bit. You'll probably have a pin, a spring and several bits of black broken plastic in the dash void. Collect up what's left and hopefully you'll find the latch itself if it's come adrift. 

The latch mechanism consists of a fairly robust latch, Spring, pivot pin and top button. 

The thing breaks the pin holding points located on the bin. On ours there was also some damage on the latch pivot, but it still clipped in so I reasoned that would remain ok. 

I made a couple of steel brackets from banding used for construction, but anything 0.5mm thick would do. The pin had gone missing too, so a big split pin looked to be suitable. 

Use the broken mount as a guide, big blob of epoxy and fixed the brackets inside the broken ones, held steady by the pin and lid close with masking tape. 

24 hours later, epoxy now hard - clip in the latch, hold spring in place and feed the pin through pivot, latch and Spring. 

Take off the tape - and lid now works a treat. 

Refit is screen side first and push the thing home until clips clip.

close the lid. Job done. You Have to love epoxy, best stuff ever.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry..but you are doing this wrong 

I've had mine out at least 10times and caused no damage...touch wood

You need to remove the 2 screws at the back

Then get 2 flat short screwdrivers and push them into the 2slots at the front inside...then gently prise them open and ram the screwdrivers in..upto the handle.

Then half close the lid and gently pull from the front..upwards.

It will come out unharmed...

Shame about the crappy coating on top..I've tried vinyl wrapping it.

Err...I didn't break anything but don't be sorry for commenting. The catch was broken and needed fixing which was really what I wanted to help with.

As for removing the tray, yup agree your method sounds better than anything else I've seen described elsewhere or my attempt. Thanks for that. Only other comment is its really hard to see before getting it out.

ive ordered some Plastidip Matt bolt grey rubber paint to see if I can tidy it up - as the coating is lame to say the least.

Edited by Splott
Sorted first line
  • Like 1

Sorry, didn't mean it to be blunt...

I thought you had  broken the clips to get it out...once you've done it a few times it's fairly straightforward.

As for the coating on the lid...keep us informed...I've vinywrapped mine and the first time I used Matt black wrap which looked spot on, until the sun shone on it and the heat made it bubble up terribly. Gave up on the 3rd attempt as kept doing the same.

So i bought some in your face carbon fibre wrap...which I don't prticularly  like the look of...but it's been in 3 weeks and through our mini heatwave and there isn't  bubble in sight!

Looks tidy. Once I get it painted with the rubber I'll post a picture - good point about the heat...we'll see, if it ever stops raining.

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is painted. Almost the same shade and rubbery feel. We'll see how well it copes with windscreen temperatures - but do far it looks much tidier. And it works. image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Paint is PlastiDip Gun Metal rubberised paint. I got it from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331755572554?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT on eBay. It was the only place I could find the shade. It is available on amazon and independent retailers too, but this looked like the right colour.

sanding was very light as I didn't really fancy taking all the existing coating off. I hoped the thickness and Matt finish would blend over anything showing through. It's not perfect, but it is loads better than the battered lid and button I had before. Looks quite respectable and feels the same as the original finish.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

3 months on and the repair and finish have stayed together. No problem with bubbling in the sun, and latch works fine.

• Like 1