Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacing Rear Light

NickC1

Hi, newbie to this so please be gentle!

I have a 2015 S-Max and have managed to crack the rear nearside outer light lens ( a particularly vicious shopping trolley) and it is letting in water. Have managed to source another one from a breakers yard on e-bay after finding out how expensive they are to buy new. Haven't had a go at it yet but does anyone know of a guide or You Tube video on swapping it out?

Couldn't find anything on this forum but I may have missed it - or is it pretty straightforward and obvious once you get started?

Any help much appreciated.

undo the rear hatch and there should be a plastic panel that pulls out,take a look inside and you should see a couple of wing nut type fixings,undo these and the light should come out.very simple job.

http://eucatparts.com/?action=cat_ford_unit&s_id_grp=1234857&s_id_model=118

• Like 1

Hi again

Managed to access the panel as suggested and the fuse one below but can only see two of the three retaining bolts that the replacement light indicates there should be. The bottom right hand one as you face the rear of the car seems to be inaccessible. Could this one be a redundant boLt that isn't used?

Have attached a photo below of the new light (I hope) and it is the bottom left hand bolt in the picture that I cant see in the car.

Any help appreciated as I would rather not admit defeat and have to go to Ford!

post-69794-0-11291600-1447260682_thumb.j

you may need to pull off a bit more trim?

• 1 month later...

I think Smaxownersclub has a pictorial guide in their paid member's section, but not really sure.

• 4 weeks later...

Nick, did you get to the bottom of this. I am in exactly the same position and can't locate the same bolt.

Iwan

Sadly not. I even went to Ford who said they'd give me some pointers but when I got there the mechanic spent a lot of time scratching his head in confusion!

Eventually said I'd need to pull away a lot of the trim - ie start dismantling the boot! Weather has been too dreadful every time I think about looking at it again. Have not searched for the tutorials mentioned earlier yet.

Would rather not be defeated so let me know if you get anywhere!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Nick,

did you ever manage to get the light replaced? I'm trying to change one at the moment and not sure how to get at the third nut? Any help would be very much appreciated. 

Thanks

Steve

• 1 month later...

No - still not got to the bottom of it after some six months. The small hole in the light lets in water and produces condensation but still works so more an annoyance than an urgency and I revisit it every now and then. Took it to Ford in March as it was due a service and asked them to replace the light with the one I bought from a breakers and they refused to fit one not supplied from them so am still non the wiser. When I spoke on the phone with them about it they still claimed it was just 2 bolts that needed to be undone so I did that today (losing a nut in the bowels of the car naturally!) and it still wont come off so I suspect the third bolt is not just redundant and you need to get at it. Managed to prise away a lot of trim and problem is it seems to be right behind the car's metal work which doesn't make sense.

I will now look at whether there are instructions in the paid section of this site. If anyone else has solved this please let me know!

it is held in place with 3 bolts, you need to remove the whole side trim at the rear to access properly.

• 4 years later...

Dear all, 

I am looking for a solution for a similar problem, but this on the left rear side lamp.

I bough a bulb for replacement on eBay, now I cannot even get read of the plug. I mean I am not sure how to unplug these lamps. Looks the guy from eBay had a similar problem since he sold the lamp with the plug. Can anyone help here? Any procedure? Thanks

On 9/6/2020 at 11:49 AM, VFig said:

Dear all, 

I am looking for a solution for a similar problem, but this on the left rear side lamp.

I bough a bulb for replacement on ebay, now I cannot even get read of the plug. I mean I am not sure how to unplug these lamps. Looks the guy from Ebay had a similar problem since he sold the lamp with the plug. Can anyone help here? Any procedure? Thanks

Remove the plastic insert in the luggage compartment to access the first plastic "screw-bolt" - look towards where you would expect a long screw to end to locate, the second will be in the compartment below, you will have to remove the foam insert at the back to access this.

• 2 years later...