Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Blistering Paint around filler cap

Budgie650

This was starting to happen on my 05 Ka, so I'd say it's quite common. I was wondering how to sort it out when the car got written off anyway...

• 3 weeks later...

i had the same problem, mine is the same age, just got that section resprayed, looks good as new, also watch out for under the doors i noticed ive started getting some blistering there too :blink:

Very common problem, either get it resprayed or if it needs grinding back/welding, i'm afraid its a fuel tank out job.

Hi ya, i work in a bodyshop, its common. If having it repaired, make sure the filler cap assembly is removed. its quite easy, take off the fuel filler cap & you will see a phillips screw just of top centre, unscrew it & then rotate the complete black plastic assembly (with the fuel filler flap attached) anti clock wise & it will come off the car, this way you dont have to remove the fuel tank. I tend to use a die grinder to grind out rust/ corrosion then treat with Q-rust. skim it up with top stop. flat & then 2k prime. Prep & paint the quarter panel out. I always remove the rear quarter window too as its only 4 screws & it makes a much neater job.

i always smear grease on the apature before refitting so as to repel any water spray coming up from the N/S/R wheel.

post-9010-1255381127_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Didnt realise you could do it that way. Well at lest you dont have to drop the tank!!

• 1 month later...

Rust around the filler cap on the Ka is caused by the dirt trap on the other side. From what I can tell, dirt gets trapped in the space behind that area. When I checked mine, it was really dirty. After shoving a hose up there, its now very clean. Also, the rubber around the filler cap traps water. So if its one of those weeks when it doesn't stop raining, water is going to be trapped there for quite some time. As we all know, moisture speeds up the rust process.

A proper repair is a new panel - respraying looks nice, but it will only happen again within 1-2 years most likely. Rust has to be cut out or the panel replaced to get rid of it completely.

EDIT: I know it says it in my profile, but my Ka is an early '08 registration - last of the old shape. Since the design is no different to any earlier models, I am taking all the care I can to prevent this area from ever rusting.

post-10246-1258314939_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

I also own a Ford Ka with rust problems - in particular around the fuel filler cap and rear wiper.

Don't despair though - I found some "Rust Screening Rings" on eBay specifically designed for these problem areas - bought both and they have really transformed my Ka and are really easy to fit.

Try the following link cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&;item=130432799232&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

You won't be dissapointed!

Hi

Had the same problem. The rust around the rear wiper motor is easy to repair by a good bidy shop. The problem around the fuel filler is a little harder. Had my sport ka done last year and it has come back. The only way to cure is it to have a new rear wing fitted and then wax oil the inside of the rear wings. Bit drastic I know but as we are keeping the car we are coing to have it done along with all the car park knocks and scrapes.

Stuart

• 5 months later...

I also own a Ford Ka with rust problems - in particular around the fuel filler cap and rear wiper.

Don't despair though - I found some "Rust Screening Rings" on Ebay specifically designed for these problem areas - bought both and they have really transformed my Ka and are really easy to fit.

Try the following link cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&;item=130432799232&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

You won't be dissapointed!

Are these "screening rings" only a cover up for the rust?

• 9 months later...

Hi ya, i work in a bodyshop, its common. If having it repaired, make sure the filler cap assembly is removed. its quite easy, take off the fuel filler cap & you will see a phillips screw just of top centre, unscrew it & then rotate the complete black plastic assembly (with the fuel filler flap attached) anti clock wise & it will come off the car, this way you dont have to remove the fuel tank. I tend to use a die grinder to grind out rust/ corrosion then treat with Q-rust. skim it up with top stop. flat & then 2k prime. Prep & paint the quarter panel out. I always remove the rear quarter window too as its only 4 screws & it makes a much neater job.

i always smear grease on the apature before refitting so as to repel any water spray coming up from the N/S/R wheel.

post-9010-1255381127_thumb.jpg

Hi there i know this is an old post but i'm having trouble removing the filler cap after removing the phillips screw and trying to turn anti-clockwise,doesn't seem to wanna budge,anyother tips?,its a 2003 model by the way.

• 1 year later...

Just come across this topic having bought a 58 plate Ka in December and having the same problem - if your car is less than 8 years old it should be covered by the Ford anti-perforation paint warranty so if you got it from a garage/dealer push them to get it done! I used to work in a Ford accident repair centre by the way!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club