Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Rear End Grip On Tyres In The Wet. Dangerous!

ZetecShearer1987

My point exactly Alex - especially at higher road speeds, which is when one needs all the grip one can get :)

• Like 1

I don't have my calculator handy, but the momentum of a 1.5 / 2 tonne vehicle travelling at just 60 mph, for instance, on a wet road surface is enough reason for me to ensure my tyres are as perfect as I can get them.

• Like 2

It doesn't even have to be high speeds to get a lateral G force against the rear tyres.

I had a large Volvo saloon while the Focus was off the road for maintenance a couple of weeks ago with budget rear tyres (but Yoko fronts so why skimp on rears!?). Had my heavy tools in the boot. Came round a wide 90 degree corner at about 15mph in the rain (same corner I do several times a week at ~25 in the dry) and the rear end carried on the same direction!! Fortunately there wasn't a car on the other side so I steered into the slide and corrected it but that was a definite fresh pants needed moment! :lol: Made the tailgater behind me back off also...

Of course it could've been very different had there been a car or person there though, I always buy branded for my own cars, cheap car parts should be banned completely, not just tyres, I've seen some awful failures from cheap wishbones and springs as well.

• Like 2

Get some Uniroyal on all four if you have two already. I'm rocking four and the grip is amazing in wet

No-one have an opinion on Falkens?

I've got them on at least 3 corners of my car (too dark/cold to go and confirm) and never had a problem with the rear stepping out in the dry, in the wet I'm captain cautious. Fronts do lose traction in dry and wet on occasion, without me even trying to light them up, but at speeds which I am comfortable with cornering when pushing on they have been fine. But maybe I'm just not a good/fast enough driver to have a good opinion on tyres :P

I have Falkens on the rear of mine, never had issues with them.

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

Such bad advice.

As has been demonstrated by the OP, the rear tyres do a lot more than sit and rotate

Yes I have to say I thought it sounded a bit dodgy when he said it!

I have Falkens on the rear of mine, never had issues with them.

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

Fallen 914's all round.

Never had any wheelspin, even in the wet, since changing them from the Prestivo ones before. They also seem to be wearing well and really do grip well in all situations I've been in.

I did a LOT of research before buying these and am extremely happy with them.

Conti's, Goodyear, Dunlops...... don't waste your money.

A set of Linglong "DitchFinders" is what you need :driving:

• Like 2

Must be what they fit as standard to the Corsa.

• Like 1

And switch any traction control, esp, abs nonsense.

Become a real driver.

Did you consider the road could be greasy?

I have these Autogrip tyres on my Zetec S only the front tyres tho and have michelins on the back and soon as its a little wet going round roundabouts front end is very slippery especially when you trying to accelerate out of the roundabout spins for fun. Defo a load of Sh^te...

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

The rear of focus breaks away easy any way so the best premium tyres are a must.

Guys be aware that the figures your looking at are only a very small insight to the complete testing tyres go through and all the gradings are done by the manufacturer. I've run Continental, Dunlop and Hankook on my old focus st and now with my current titanium X I've run Continental and Michelin with both giving fantastic grip but the Michelin currently giving a better mileage return. Depending on what you want to pay for and whether grip or mileage is a factor, with my experience in the trade I would say grip would be 1.pirelli 2.goodyear 3.conti/mich 4.dunlop and mileage 1.mich 2.dunlop 3.conti/Goodyear 4.pirelli. Can't comment on Bridgestone as don't have many customers running them on mid to high performance cars.

Some of the cheaper brands work well on different cars with different driving styles, I ran a pair of 13 inch budget Mohawks on a 1.2 fiesta for 13000 hard miles and when I sold the car they still had life on them so perhaps would of done 15k+, and one of my customers has an old Honda Civic running 14 inch Mohawks and he's had 30k out of the fronts. When it comes to grip you have to understand that they are cheaper for a reason so you can't expect an autogrip budget to work as well as a premium brand.

I hope this helps anyone and that your local tyre dealers can give you enough advice to get you the tyre you need for your personal driving style and usage.

• Like 3

I have just put two Michelin Cross Climate tyres on the front of my Focus and boy, what a tyre!

Definitely recommend checking them out. Excellent in all weather conditions and the grip is immense. Extremely quiet too!

I have just put two Michelin Cross Climate tyres on the front of my Focus and boy, what a tyre!

Definitely recommend checking them out. Excellent in all weather conditions and the grip is immense. Extremely quiet too!

That's interesting, I've been looking at these and being so new, there's hardly any reviews yet.

I've currently got Vredestein Quatrac 3's on three wheels and some random budget brand I've never heard of on the NSR. :( It came with the car, I don't buy budget brands!

I like change my tyres when there's 4mm of tread left - which there almost is. I am trying to decide between fit Cross Climate or Vredestein Quatrac 5 or Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 2

I suspect its probably a good idea to match all tyres, or at the very least in front rear matched pairs, if one lets go it will kick that side out under braking or round corners.

Ford dealer fitted Autogrip on my MK2 when I bought it, shockingly bad in the wet to the point of being comical. Now got some Goodyear EG on there, much better and incredible reduction in road noise.

Efficient Grip get an A rating for grip.

Never had any dramas while using them.

• Like 1

Ive got the car booked in thursday to fit 2 new goodyear efficient grip performance tyres to replace the budgets at the rear.

Ive noticed the car does handle better in the dry but as soon as the road becomes wet the car it unstable at the rear.

This should solve my issue

• Like 2

Aye, EGP are very stable in the wet and have won awards so can't knock that.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club