Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0 Duratec Engine Warm Up Time

LJ00

Is it normal for my Mondeo to reach halfway/normal operating temp on the coolant gauge in about a mile of driving? Never had a car warm up as quickly.

I noticed it when I got it but never thought anything of it, just thought I'd ask the question... :)

Its common for a lot of modern diesels, as the EGR recirculates the exaust which warms up the coolant, reinjects the hot air and helps to bring the temperature up.

I must admit the engine names like that are not my strong suit (clearly) but even the petrol have them don't they?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

The EGRV actually reduces the combustion temperature - unless it's blanked

But with the coolant flowing cold and the hot gasses passing it I was under the impression it would heat the liquid in the early minutes.

I think this could be my misunderstanding

My Mondeo is a diesel, which I why I haven't answered the O.P.'s question - but the recirculated exhaust gases go nowhere near the coolant on my engine, there is an outlet on the exhaust manifold at the back of the engine which connects directly via metal tube to the EGRV at the front of the engine

Whether a 2.0 Duratec is similar I don't know

• Like 1

I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time.

• Like 1

Yeah it's deffo the 2.0 petrol Duratec engine, not sure about having an EGR? All i know is it warms up pretty darn fast compared any other cars I've owned... Suppose it's nice on a cold frosty winter morning :)

• Like 1

My ST's 2.0 ecoboost is based off the same engine as yours.

I have never had an engine warm up so fast, I can have warm air starting to come out the vents by the time I get to the end of my road, lol.

I expected the bigger block to take longer to heat up, but it appears to the opposite.

• Like 2

My petrol 2.0 also heats up quickly and whats impressive for me is how quick it clears the ice off the windscreen in winter.

• Like 2

My Mondeo is a diesel, which I why I haven't answered the O.P.'s question - but the recirculated exhaust gases go nowhere near the coolant on my engine, there is an outlet on the exhaust manifold at the back of the engine which connects directly via metal tube to the EGRV at the front of the engine

Whether a 2.0 Duratec is similar I don't know

your egr gases do go through an egr cooler at the rear of the engine on the 2.0 and 2.2 tdci

never rely on the temp gauge to give a reliable indication of engine temp, way off what temps rearly are

Nope . . . there is a shiny pipe that exits the exhaust manifold at the back right hand side and is visible along the right hand side of the engine & connects directly to the EGRV at the front

never rely on the temp gauge to give a reliable indication of engine temp, way off what temps rearly are

Yeah oil temp gauge on mine takes a lot longer to reach temp. But it still seems to be capable of warming up the coolant and therefore cabin much faster than other engines I have experienced.

thats strange, never seen a dv10 without a cooler at the rear, normally it comes out of manifold at the side, through a 180 degree short metal tube, into the cooler and egr valve at the rear, then the long tube from egr valve to the front and into the inlet manifold with the electronically controled intake manifold flap under

Sounds like a different engine to mine Ian as my EGRV is at the front ?

yep, even ford etis shows the egr valve and cooler at the rear, dont see 2.2 very often but next time i see one i will have a look, curious now . lol

• Like 1

They are rare - mine is the 2.2 200ps / 197bhp

The EGRV is definitely at the front - slightly to the right of centre as you look at the engine from the front

are sure your not mistaking it for the electronic intake manifold flap assembly, see the 2.2 on freelanders more than mondeos

Nope - when I blanked it front & rear it was definitely the EGRV at the front ?

I'm getting curious now :wacko:

There's nothing like an EGRV at the back of the engine - just the shiny pipe which exits the exhaust manifold / outlet port & runs to the EGRV at the front ?

post-59356-0-54384200-1447286891_thumb.jwhen you say it exits the manifold , which side of manifold as you look at car from the front? your left or right?

this is the manifold from rear view , you can see the 180 degree bend pipe

then cooler and egr are above manifold and the long pipe attaches to it on the left of picture

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club