Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Really Thinking About Fitting Cruise Control.

wilto

Hi guys has anyone fitted one of these cruise/ radio control switches, as I'm having trouble finding a steering wheel and airbag cover that don't cost a fortune

I've seen these while googling, and I know someone has fitted their own buttons to existing radio control.

Trying to find a cheap way of doing this mod. I've also seen someone fit the 4 spoke wheel controls to a 3 spoke, after cutting the side of the wheel.

Any advice chaps would be brill, cheers, wilto. [emoji106]

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1904388520_1/zeshen-Steering-Wheel-font-b-Control-b-font-Buttons-Audio-Volume-Constant-Speed-Cruise-font-b.jpg

Sent from my XT1021 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Personally I waited to find the right wheel an bag on eBay, keep it OEM an what not, but from a technical point of view that stalk thing will work

• Like 1

Hi Dar' if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your wheel and bag/bag cover, just so I get an idea what to pay, missed a wheel on the bay last week, it went for £50 grrrr

i paid just over 100 for my wheel + airbag from asm autos, thats how much they go for im afraid

you want to make sure it comes off a ford focus, not a c-max as they wont work i think

I paid £100 for a nearly new wheel last year, unlucky guy bought it new, fitted it then crashed his car a month later lol. Had to pay quite a bit for a new airbag cover though, £20 iirc for a little bit of plastic.

It is by far the best value for money mod I've done though, use it every day! :)

• Like 1

Hi guys has anyone fitted one of these cruise/ radio control switches, as I'm having trouble finding a steering wheel and airbag cover that don't cost a fortune

I've seen these while googling, and I know someone has fitted their own buttons to existing radio control.

Trying to find a cheap way of doing this mod. I've also seen someone fit the 4 spoke wheel controls to a 3 spoke, after cutting the side of the wheel.

Any advice chaps would be brill, cheers, wilto. [emoji106] http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1904388520_1/zeshen-Steering-Wheel-font-b-Control-b-font-Buttons-Audio-Volume-Constant-Speed-Cruise-font-b.jpg

hi a fellow member on here called "Dan P" has fitted the steering stalk with integrated cruise control on his focus and very happy with it,

Here's a link to page 4 of his build thread: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/71848-eve-its-time-for-a-face-lift-mk2-focus-zetec-climate-20/page-4

Nice fella to speak with too.

The wheel was about 50/60 quid IIRC,

it had the wheel with controls, the airbag unit with cover was about 40ish.

So call it an even 100 maybe slightly less, if you missed one complete for 50 quid then that would have been a steal!

Just whilst I have some like minded souls attention, see the horn on your new 4 spoke airbag cover, does yours activate via the middle of the wheel or just the sides. every car ive ever had was in the middle but it seems mine only works when pushing the sides, right about where the horn symbol is.

But its probably one of the best 100 quid mods ive spent on it, along with the oil catch can and ST spoiler

• Like 1

Just whilst I have some like minded souls attention, see the horn on your new 4 spoke airbag cover, does yours activate via the middle of the wheel or just the sides. every car ive ever had was in the middle but it seems mine only works when pushing the sides, right about where the horn symbol is.But its probably one of the best 100 quid mods ive spent on it, along with the oil catch can and ST spoiler

mine was factory fitted and works when pressing/thumping 👊the Ford badge 😠

Doesn't respond as quick compared to pressing the sides where "horn icon" is showing📯

Hmmm thats annoying, anyone know of any circumstances it wouldn't work like that, ie, if the airbag had been deployed, perhaps breaking some cross bar running across the cover?

the airbag has ben checked out as good, but I wonder if they have used an old cover on it, the cover was pre-attached to the airbag.

Will that cause a problem for MOT, only working on the side, I did read somewhere you can have a flip switch for a horn so long as it was easily accessible but you never know how old these stories are!

hi a fellow member on here called "Dan P" has fitted the steering stalk with integrated cruise control on his focus and very happy with it,

Here's a link to page 4 of his build thread: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/71848-eve-its-time-for-a-face-lift-mk2-focus-zetec-climate-20/page-4

Cheers Lenny!

Full details of how I did it are in my build thread. I'm incredibly happy with it. I opted to do it this way because: I got to keep my 3 spoke wheel - which I prefer to the 4; I didn't have to mess around with the air bag; It was pretty quick and easy to do.

• Like 2

My horn is much harder to operate since changing the wheel.

There are 4 contacts for the horn, roughly at the ends of each spoke so pressing sides would make it hit those quicker/easier, there are springs above the contacts to keep the airbag pushed out until you want to press it, I put my stiffness down to these springs being brand new and not having taken 7 years of beeping people lol. But it is a bit annoying when I want a 'light' pip rather than a blast as it's difficult not to end up pushing so hard that it blasts lol.

• Like 1

Cheers Lenny, I've just read his post and it seems the easiest way to add cruise, just cut two wires comming from GEM join wires supplied with kit, and configure set up with computer.

This is the bit that I'm !Removed! at, OK with wiring and spraying and working with tools, but crap at computers. I'm OK with basics but wouldn't where to start with programming the GEM etc, be afraid I'd !Removed! something up

• Like 2

Cheers Lenny, I've just read his post and it seems the easiest way to add cruise, just cut two wires comming from GEM join wires supplied with kit, and configure set up with computer.

This is the bit that I'm !Removed! at, OK with wiring and spraying and working with tools, but crap at computers. I'm OK with basics but wouldn't where to start with programming the GEM etc, be afraid I'd mess something up

ok well in this case there's two obstacles;

One is modified ELM327 cables,

Some are not wired correctly and don't work correctly.

I have a modified ELM327 it's a non Chinese replica, has been modified by a very good friend on here and I have loaned it to many members on here including Dan P

IMG_20150420_140226_zpsnadzigay.jpg

IMG_20150420_140124_zps9dzeyesn.jpg

I ship it out via tracked mail

along with a self addressed UK return envelope.

I charge a total of 27 pounds via PayPal

7 covers P&P to you.

20 stays in PayPal until item is returned to me via tracked mail,

When recieved I refund your 20 pounds

My modified ELM327 is tried and tested, 👌

Your guranteed it will do the job.

Only obstacle left is for you to;

take your time,

Install elmconfig software,

Connect to car,

Copy screen shots via "snipping tool"

Tick appropriate box's

Submit to Gem

Job done.

I'm not trying to persuade you in to using my elm327 or scam you of money,

Just offering service as I do many times i also offer a Pioneer CD-MC20 self Calibration Mic.

IMG_20141122_083006_zpsamnblvpc.jpg

alternatively there may be someone available close to your location who has a functional modified ELM327

Either way will help achieve results.

• Like 1

programming GEM is the easy bit, its when you change the PCM your heart starts to go a bit faster, especially if you get the ENGINE MALFUNCTION! message on the IC, to avoid that make sure you turn off and on again when it tells you, no short cuts!

• Like 3

Thanks Lenny, there's a polish guy in work with me that has modified his BMW ECU, chipped it to 225bhp, when I asked him a few weeks ago about doing this he said he has got the modified elm and the software and said he could do it.

I'm going to check I've got the two wires on my GEM if I have I'm going to order the switch from aliexpress and take the plunge as I really want cruise.

Could I join the wires with scotchlock connector's or do I need to cut and join them as Dan p has done, olso can they be joined to the wiring under the steering wheel? Thanks guys you help has been invaluable.

• Like 1

Thanks Lenny, there's a polish guy in work with me that has modified his BMW ECU, chipped it to 225bhp, when I asked him a few weeks ago about doing this he said he has got the modified elm and the software and said he could do it.

I'm going to check I've got the two wires on my GEM if I have I'm going to order the switch from aliexpress and take the plunge as I really want cruise.

Could I join the wires with scotchlock connector's or do I need to cut and join them as Dan p has done, olso can they be joined to the wiring under the steering wheel? Thanks guys you help has been invaluable.

You can join the wires however you want, I felt I had more room to work by going in at the GEM.

I appreciate that doing the software fiddling is a bit daunting but I was greatly reassured in reading the epic Cruise Control thread. From the large number of people that have made alterations no one seems to have managed to destroy their car!

• Like 1

Thanks Dan, think I'm going to order the same unit as yours, it looks a much better value for money mod than changing wheel and air bag cover, do you know what seller you bought it from as there a few different ones on aliexpress.

• Like 1

Post 55 in my thread has the link to the one I bought. Professional Auto Spare Parts is the seller.

• Like 1

As I think I said in my post, it's a genuine Ford part which has then been modified. It's then shipped half way across the planet and costs less than the original part would if you bought it here. Bonkers!

• Like 1

Cheers Dan, when the clouds decide to stop leaking, I'm going to have a look at my GEM connector to see if the wires are there and my pedals for the switches. If all's OK then I'm going to order the cruise switch from aliexpress. Fingers crossed

• Like 1

Cheers Dan, when the clouds decide to stop leaking, I'm going to have a look at my GEM connector to see if the wires are there and my pedals for the switches. If all's OK then I'm going to order the cruise switch from aliexpress. Fingers crossed

The switches will be present in the pedals because the car has an electronic accelerator and ESP all pedal box's are identical.

May save you getting wet knees

Thanks Lenny, is it a brown wire and a white wire I'm looking for?

• Like 1

From the GEM it's the brown wire at pin 10, white at pin 18. See post 62 in my build thread.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot Dan, :)

• Like 1

Removed my GEM plug yesterday only to reveal that I haven't got the brown and white wires, totally gutted.

I then looked at Dan p's build thread and discovered I pulled the wrong connector off, I pulled the big one off,

It was then I saw a smaller one beside it an low and behold I've got white and brown cables coming from it, I then felt like a right t**t, at least I'm admitting my mistake lol.

So last night I ordered the modified radio control, a set of aluminium heater controls and a carbon fibre decals for the radio surround and centre console, from Aliexpress, all for the pricy sum of £60 Inc postage, happy bunny now :)

• Like 1