Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Tddi 2001 Starting Problem

Pulsar

Hi All I'm new here so if this is the wrong category for help with my Ford focus just let me know or hopefully a mod can move it.

So Yeah... I've been having all sorts of problems with my Ford Focus TDdi 2001.

Main issue right now is after letting a friend practice "hill starts" in it, after a while and a lot of stalling and cranking of the engine getting it to start again, it died. I turn the key and nothing now not cranking at all, but all the lights come on.

Apparently they was keeping the engine cranking a lot and holding the ignition for longer than they should have done and to get it started again he rolled it backwards down the hill and then started the ignition which eventually worked to get it back to me.

If the car is pushed it starts up straight away, and I mean straight away like a car should doesn't need all the cranking of the engine.

I'm aware that it could be the fuel pump, never considered the starter motor until now when it won't turn over, possibly an injection problem...etc

Any Idea what you think happened and is the problem?

EDIT: There is no fault codes showing at all.

No Replies?

If you need more information just let me know, any help is appreciated please.

I have read many of the other threads, kind of similar issues, but many don't have the OP come back to say what resolved the issue or they are not the same model most are the TDci's.

Just thought my own thread would be more helpful instead of hijacking someone else's :)

If the lights stay on when you turn the key to the cranking position I'd say it looks like a problem with the ignition switch, starter motor or solenoid. If it was just a knackered battery the starter would kill the lights.

Yes the lights stay on, Also I watched the voltage of the battery it's a new battery but it is saying 12.2V when the car is on and 11.5V when I turn on everything in the car, the headlights, the air con...etc like I said, it's a new battery only got it last month I think it just needs a good charge after the recent issues.

Could it still be all 3 of those issues you mention even though when you push the car it will start up?

Thank you for replying :)

12.2 V when the engine is running & the alternator is charging - with no load is low voltage

• Like 1

12.2V is without the engine running, thats just with the key turned to have the dashboard lights on, it probably should be about 12.5V right? But the engine hasn't been running to charge it for about a week now.

I looked more into what mjt said and answered my own question :) yes can still be the issue.

I tried it earlier and even after pushing it, the car would not start up :(

Going to test the ignition switch first then I'll let you know.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't be the ignition switch as it does start up with the key when it is pushed, also after I get it running and give it a bit of a drive when I stop the car and turn off the engine and try to turn it back on, it does try to start, it does crank! but then after a couple of tries it gives up again then no longer cranks at all.

Does this information change anything?

After running it tries to crank can it still be the starter motor? initially this is what I thought and think is gone.

Thanks for your help :)

The way you describe it, it does sound like the battery being nearly flat, Have you tried, or could you try, putting it on charge for 24 hours or so?

I have not tried but sure I can try that! :)

It does show a good charge though so its strange and its a really good new battery.

Here is some more info if it helps too:

I connected jumper cables to the battery and to another running car, it doesn't crank still.

Also the voltage when connected to the other car was 13.3v

That change anything?

I'll get a battery charger and charge it in the meantime while I await a reply :)

Thank you

I believe the starter motor is clogged up and basically after the engine is running for a while it heats up and loosens some of the junk clogging it up so it tries to crank again before giving up.

I'll be taking it off and cleaning it up and then I'll report back.

• 3 months later...

Hi there!

Have you resolved this?Please let me know how have you done it cos I got one with the same issue.

• 1 month later...

Yes, it was the starter motor, some cleaning and had to replace a part inside it.

But it has since started up everytime.

The mechanics all said it was the fuel pump which is one of the most expensive fixes, I'm glad i first tried this even though it at times didn't make sense to be the issue. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club