Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Few Issue And Clueless.

Metallifan78

Hi All

This is my first post and my first time owning a ford, so decided to go for a focus, so please be nice lol.

I have just bought an 04 focus and I have a few issues that id rather fix myself before going to a garage so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As I bought an 04 for under a grand I expected a few issue so here we go.....

1. My rear left brake light works until I turn on my tail lights and when I press the brake the left tail light goes off and the brake light doesnt work either......I find this strange so hopefully it just a bulb issue?

2. When turning left at slow speed with 3 quarter lock on the steering feels heavy I have checked the power streering fluid and its over filled, could this cause an issue?

All advice is appreciated.

Many thanks

Metfan78

Hi and welcome :)

I would change both bulbs cos if you change 1 guaranteed the other will go soon also when you take them out give the holder a clean with some wd40 sounds like a bad earth or bulb ;)

and the p/s fluid I would try to get some out and then top up to the correct level, start the car while topping it up

hope this helps :afro:

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips I'll give it a go tomorrow and report back.

Metfan78

Is it a stop and tail bulb? upside down I'm guessing or just the wrong bulb.

Hi, yes its the stop/tail light bulb, its just a little strange that they work fine on there own but at night when I need both, they fail.

Once its light tomorrow I will look at the bulb on thst side to see if its in correct.

Cheers

Metfan78

I've encountered this on my Mum's Mk1 Zetec, almost always it's a bad earth, in the lamp unit. After a good clean with a glassfibre pencil tool, the bulbs illuminate as they should.

Hi All

thanks for all the replies I really do appreciate it.

I have changed the bulbs and still no joy, next step is to clean the entire fitting including the bulb connectors, hopefully this will resolve it.

getting a little worried as I am going on my honeymoon on Monday and really don't want to get pulled over for having a dodgy tail/brake light.

When you say a bad earth as the bulb seems to be working for the tail and brake...but not together, do you mean in the light casing?

Many Thanks Again

Metfan78

Your problem is a classic case of a broken earth connection. This diagram should help you to understand it. Note the arrows denoting current flows when just one bulb is energised and when they both are (on the affected side). When one bulb is energised the current returns to ground through the other bulbs but in the second case the voltages applied to the two bulbs with the broken earth cancel out, hence no current. If, as you say, it is a combined stop/tail bulb it might be no more than corrosion between the bulb cap and housing. If you've cleaned this up and it still fails then you'd need to check the earth wire to the lamp unit :-

Congratulations on the wedding btw. :)

post-757-0-41795000-1447945887_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Bulb issue I had with the next door neighbours car. turned out to be the bulb holder itself. Changed that & all was well.

PS pump problems sounds like the pump itself being worn. This happens because people insist on holding the wheel on full lock when parking/manovering etc. Pump needs to be replaced, not a difficult job.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club