Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 Tdci Ticking Noise?

Kcr4cer

Hi, thanks in advance for any help on this. My car makes a loud ticking noise, it's always there and gets louder with revs, it seems to be in time with the engine noise. The car drives ok but a bit worried about it.

Mine is the same.It was making the noise when I bought the car at 44000 miles,still going strong at 90000.Regular oil changes and an oil additive running smoother than ever so I don't think it s anything to worry about buddy.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Not sure when it last had an oil change, (which means it needs one now) been told it sounds like the camshaft, and also been told it's an expensive job. The sound is loudest at the top of the engine by the Cambelt side. Mines on 135k miles only had it 3 month's and has ran great so far, and still does apart from the noise.

Mine only makes the noise when it is in gear & pulling away mainly in 1st & 2nd, fine on tick over & on high revs.

Ideally valve clearances should be checked at around 75000 miles.

What does that mean... i'm no mechanic! Is it a big/expensive job?

If you are concerned enough,take your car to a reputable independent and ask them to investigate the noise.Do you have any service history ,garage receipts?Has the timing belt been changed?

Gray J ,I was responding to the original post ha ha,but hey ho.If your car has done 75000 then you should be thinking about a timing belt change buddy.

Yeah was thinking of getting it done soon, will that make a difference to the tapping do you think?

It's good practice to change the belt sooner rather than later protecting yourself from one big noise and a big garage bill ,noisy tappets will be the least of your problems .

• Like 1

Although I did not get any paperwork with the car I am only the second owner and I know for a fact it's been fully serviced and repaired at the same garage all its life, I am going to take it in tomorrow but I thought I would just check if it was anything common with a quick fix sort of thing.

Cheers for info William 😀

Hi

Get the oil changed. If you are unsure of how old it is change it.

Camshaft bearings are commonplace on these engines

A replacement camshaft is not an expensive job as it is replaceable without taking much of the engine apart (cam on head rather than in block)

Combine this with a new cambelt and tensioners, Check oil pump clearances, and also Change the water pump for total peace of mind

Jamie

• Like 2

Will be checking camshaft bearings tomorrow as I have a feeling that could be the problem.

Cheers.

I have also been round a few garages but got the impression they could either not be bothered or wanted to take my car apart to find the problem, I understand they need to do that to find but I'm not really in a position to pay to find problem and fix it too, so I'm just trying to find the problem myself so I can tell them :-) I am fairly competent with these sort of things so hopefully I can find it.

The timing belt should be changed at 110,000 miles but because of the cars age it needs changing ASAP, because if it loses its teeth it will destroy your engine completely and the car will be scrap. Do not delay and change the water pump as well, as its part of the belt run.

The belt should be changed sooner rather than later.The timing belt doesn't run the water pump on this model.

Well it's not crankshaft related, it's deeper n the engine, so it's in the garage tomorrow to have the engine, which also means it will get a new Cambelt as I understand that they cannot be reused? It's looking like an expensive job :-(

Is it possible to post the engine noise so we can here it ?

It's a 53 plate Gary....I can't upload sound atm but will try and explain best I can, it sounds like a pinging noise (metal on metal) it's in perfect timing with the engine ticking over, and increases with the revs again in perfect timing. Which to me suggests it is something that is working the engine, I have done the old peice of wood to the ear and it sounds loudest at the egr valve/manifold, but I suspect the noise is just being amplified through the pipes as the manifold has been checked. But it also suggests the noise is coming from inside the engine, and because the crankshaft area has been checked I can only assume it's from deep inside the engine..................he is a very poorly boy me thinks.

I thought about that John but it also has trouble starting, it turns over fine but cuts out after a couple of seconds unless I give a bit of gas, only happens from cold though? It also kicking a bit of blue smoke out, not sure if it is related to the ticking though? I have known an oil change solve this issue on other cars but been told by a couple of mechanic's that it sound way past an oil change.