Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying Focus

JB79

Hi,

I am thinking of a buying a Ford Focus and was hoping for any advice. I have about £4,000 to spend plus a rusty Ford Puma 1.7 R reg to p/x.

Is there any partciluar models of the Focus that provide better value for money, or are more reliable? The Puma engine is still great but unforntuately the body work is falling to bits. I also want a smoother ride, since moving to Leeds i have to drive over potholes everyday and it's a bit of a nightmare so low to the road.

I mostly use the car to and from work (5 miles each way but not much standing) and occasioanlly long trips at the w/e.

So any tips on what i should be looking for when i go shopping, and particluar problems, or things that should be serviced at certain mileage i.e. any belts need changing.

Thanks

post-8648-1253645935_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I am thinking of a buying a Ford Focus and was hoping for any advice. I have about £4,000 to spend plus a rusty Ford Puma 1.7 R reg to p/x.

Is there any partciluar models of the Focus that provide better value for money, or are more reliable? The Puma engine is still great but unforntuately the body work is falling to bits. I also want a smoother ride, since moving to Leeds i have to drive over potholes everyday and it's a bit of a nightmare so low to the road.

I mostly use the car to and from work (5 miles each way but not much standing) and occasioanlly long trips at the w/e.

So any tips on what i should be looking for when i go shopping, and particluar problems, or things that should be serviced at certain mileage i.e. any belts need changing.

Thanks

Hi

my advice is quite simple, buy my car, its a focus st170 and in perfect condition, would like it to go to a good home as im only selling because i need more room for the little ones stuff. st170's are great cars would strongly recomend it, its up for 5199, anyone on here with one will tell you the same thing, let me know or good luck with the search mate!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

The puma 1.7 was / is a great car but suffers from rusty arches and sills etc. As you do low mileage you don't need a diesel, petrols are good. Lots to choose from lots of specs. Zetecs with climate pack or ghia models. 1.6 is fine. avoid unusual colours like Harvest gold, Jewel green , pepper red etc. Best Buy Would Be 2004 ST170 3 DOOR, IMPERIAL BLUE, 44000 MILES WITH CUSTOM PACK (Recaro leather + heated, Uprated 9006 6 disc dash cd player and factory sub in the boot) + COMFORT PACK (Climate control, heated screen + Xenon headlights) + SPOILER + PARKING SENSORS + TINTED WINDOWS + MILTEK STAINLESS EXHAUST SYSTEM. Thats right you can buy mine. Its only £4500 and i would even buy your puma off you. Let me know what you think.

Lee

Hi,

Thanks

You cant go wrong with a Focus, I've had one (X reg) for 5 years and never had any trouble.

I've got a zetec 1600. Focus is superb to drive. Ride quality - If you want a smooth ride then DONT go for the zetec version its quite a stiff suspension and you'll feel the bumps on the road - and probably best to avoid the sporty ST170 version which will probably have stiffer suspension too. You should go for the LX or something similar which will give a softer ride. The body is galvanised on these cars so it will take forever to corrode. I'm getting mid 30s mpg which aint fantastic but there's a lot worse out there. Ford recommend a Focus cambelt change every 100k or 10 years -I've just had mine changed (april 09) although the car is only nine years old, and there is no history of cambelt problems on these cars. For hints and tips on what to look out for go to honestjohn.co.uk and click on 'car by car' - there's tons of info.

hope this helps, and I havent tried to flog you my car either!!

regards

An average motorist.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club