Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Titanium X Ecoboost 125 Slow To Warm Up On Cold Days

540itouring

Hi , I have had my 125 ecoboost March 13 fiesta for just over a year and when I got it noticed it took about 5 or 6 miles to warm up on a cold day. With normal weather temp of say 10 deg or more car warms up fast and no problems but with outside temp of 6 deg car is slow to warm up.

I tested the car tonight and after a drive of about 5 miles the temp gauge shows just two bars lit and after 6 to 7 miles 3 bars lit on gauge.

The car drives perfect and would not notice any problems apart from slow to warm up on cold days.

I can not think this is normal for this engine as they use a cast iron cylinder block for rapid warm up but would like to ask other members how quick the engine warms up on colder days ?

I can only think may be a faulty thermostat but not sure which one as read the ecoboost engine has two thermostats.

I had the heater on auto at 26 deg but did not blow much and noticed slow to warm up inside the car.

How quick does other members cars warm up on cold days please ?

Thanks for help in advance

When it's cold my 125 takes 4-5 miles to reach normal. That's half way between the brackets [##__].

Actually you get a better guess with the old type analogue hot wire meters. [##__] means _ugger all to me, zero indication of temp, progress (of course).

Mines not an ecoboost but my 1.6 tivct has been sluggish these cold mornings. Put my foot down and nothing happens. Turn the car on and off again (at red light) seems to sort it out. Temp gauge reading normal when sluggish or not.

Sent from my iPhone 5s.

When it's cold my 125 takes 4-5 miles to reach normal. That's half way between the brackets [##__].

Actually you get a better guess with the old type analogue hot wire meters. [##__] means _ugger all to me, zero indication of temp, progress (of course).

It's no different to other analogue gauges ford used, basically cold - normal - hot, there was no temperature markings, the marking would be pointless, as long as the car is running in the normal range then it's ok.

OP, is your coolant level ok? You could put a bit more load on the car by using the heated screens, fans lights etc. diesels for example take longer to warm up so when too cold the screen comes on automatically to help warm the engine quicker.

• Like 1

How do you check your temp,i have the 1.6 tivc.2011

I miss my temp gauge.

How do you check you temp,i have the 1.6 tivc.2011

I miss my temp gauge.

You'll find it in the secret test menu. YouTube search

If anybody wants a more accurate temperature reading you can buy a cheap ODB2 bluetooth scanner for £2.78 on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261530551930?euid=03b642980fdb4fe5809395eb7d047338&cp=1. You only have to download software to your mobile phone and can get to see the actual temperature.

The only hassle is the length of time it takes to arrive, mine took almost a month to arrive which wasn't a problem as I wanted it but didn't need it for anything specific so could wait.

• Like 2

A lot of cars don't put temp gauge on these days,mine don't take that long to get warm going on the heater.

I might be misreading this but...are you saying the car takes longer to heat up when it's colder outside? Because, surely that's to be expected?

What you're describing sounds normal - I would say how quickly it heats up really depends on what you're doing during the first few miles, so if you're pottering around doing 30 then it will take a longer period to get up to temp than if you were straight onto a motorway or dual carriageway.

But as long as it is getting to temp and you're not noticing any other problems I wouldn't think anything of it.

• Like 2

Hi exactly the same on my 1.0 eco boost. I was surprised how long it took to warm up considering the exhaust manifold is part of the head etc. It takes longer than my old 1.6 zetec grand cmax.

Smaller more efficient engine = less fuel= less heat energy produced, simples. Lol

• Like 1

Later versions of the Titanium (X) are fitted with a PTC heater. Because the 1L ecoboost is an efficient motor, it produces less heat.

When I hooked up an OBD cable with Forscan, there was a DTC fault that said there was a problem with the PTC heater. I turned out to be a faulty relay underneath the LHD headlight. When I replaced the relay the DTC was not there anymore and the interior heated up a lot faster.

You could buy an OBD cable and download forscan, or ask you're dealer to check for DTC's.

Well, I checked the coolant temp using torque pro, from cold it took 7.1 miles to get to operating temp (90c) but only was at 44c when the guage in cluster read normal temp ( midway between 60 and 120 on display.)

Confirms what ive said on other topics about not relying on the car temp guage.

And yes it takes a long time to warm up!!

Well, I checked the coolant temp using torque pro, from cold it took 7.1 miles to get to operating temp (90c) but only was at 44c when the guage in cluster read normal temp ( midway between 60 and 120 on display.)

Confirms what ive said on other topics about not relying on the car temp guage.

And yes it takes a long time to warm up!!

Well that confirms my car is normal as on warmer days it warms up fast.

Thanks for your help with your tests

Later versions of the Titanium (X) are fitted with a PTC heater.

just took delivery of tit x ecoboost and etis says Less Auxiliary Heater so guess that means its only the engine warming the car up. so have to wait for engine to warm before the climate control will warm the car.

just took delivery of tit x ecoboost and etis says Less Auxiliary Heater so guess that means its only the engine warming the car up. so have to wait for engine to warm before the climate control will warm the car.

Think the post came from member not in uk,

I imagine auxillary heaters are market related as in colder climate countrys,

Uk petrol engines ive seen never have them, well ive never seen them , diesels I have and in electrical form and fuel fired.

Uk petrol engines ive seen never have them, well ive never seen them , diesels I have and in electrical form and fuel fired.

My tit x ecoboost lists 'with supplemental air heater' on etis, are the auxiliary heater and supplemental air heater different things?

Anyway to retrofit these heaters?

Ps some cases in America of people blocking there radiator to heat it up faster a wouldn't recommend it

After I did my last post I had a think and recon I might have seen an electric aux heater on a bmax ecoboost.

Probably no reason why they couldnt be fitted, theres an access panel on the side of heater box im lead to believe on my focus where the heater goes, a few cables and controlled by the body control module , so that would have to be programmed up. Will look on mine tommorow as I know where the wiring should be if its got the harness, fiesta probably the same, ive had a read about the bmax and now remember why I saw the wiring that went to the heater. So I have now seen a petrol car with aux heating.

The focus in some markets can come with electric or fuel fired heaters( petrol and diesel)

Dont fancy the idea of petrol fuel fired heater!!

Strange thinking of Ford, because the UK has a colder climate than The Netherlands. Weird that we do get a standard PTC heater on all the Ecoboost models.

Retrofitting should be possible, but it's a lot of work. You need to check if your heater box is compatible with a PTC heater. If it is, you need to remove you dashboard to place the heater element. After that you have to install the complete wiring loom and activate it with an IDS computer.

A lot of work :)

There I thought It would have been simpler lol a know someone who has a pump they added to the car they just turn it on in morning and it heats the engine up

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club