• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 twincabmike

twincabmike

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ford Model: 04 Ranger XLT
Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:23 PM

I own a 2004 Ranger XLT. Full service history as well as only 31 100 miles on the clock.
I drove to Spain last month and on my return noticed a knocking noise in the engine that sounded a bit like a loose tappet. Set tappets no difference. I must mention here that there was no reduction in power, no smoke, just this tik tik tik noise around No. 3 cylinder.
Then I noticed that upon start up, the motor runs rough for 2 to 4 seconds then purrs as normal. I decided to check that the glow plugs where all ok as the tappet cover was off and easy to test.
It turns out No. 3 glow plug was faulty. Here's the first shock...Ford want 93.00 + vat for ONE !
Forget that, got them for 14 each.
When I took the glow plug out, the last 8mm or so of the glow plugs element has the ceramic exposed ( not sleeved in metal ) about 4mm of that broke off and bounced around my No. 3 piston.
So it's head off, sump off, new piston etc......and one hell of a job for a glow plug that broke.
The other three glow plugs all show signs of pitting on this exposed tip but it seems No. 3 won the race.
Change them NOW, the replacement aftermarket ones I got do not have an exposed tip, a much smarter option.
Makes you think doesn't it ?

Anybody have any ideas or come across this before ?

Mike

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 mintalkin

mintalkin

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts
  • Name: mintalkin
  • Ford Model: mondeo tdci 130
  • Year: 2006

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:13 PM

it would be intresting to see what ford say about them braking after only 31000 miles, imagine if all four broke at once :o

#3 RangerSteve

RangerSteve

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: Ranger mk1

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:19 PM

I purchased my ranger in 2005 in january 2006 it went in for its service of 12,000 miles.
under warranty the the engine was replaced due to 2 plugs braking down. This was a painfull
experience as it took 6 weeks for the to get another engine. Still my fear is still another
glow plug breaking down.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users