Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Few Focus Problems

Paul Moore

Hi, hoping i can get some help from here, a few technical issues with my focus.

It a 1999, 1.6 ltr 16valve.

Problem started last week when the trip mileage randomly reset itself to zero while i was driving. Then when i got out of the car and pushed the remote button to centrally lock it, nothing happened.

Later, i tried it again with the button and it worked ok but on the drive home the radio swtched itself off, then flashed on and off continuously.

Sounds to me like an electrical problem, or a bad earth.

Has anyone else experienced this, and any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, start with checking the battery and also the earth point next to it. Make sure its clean, it is always worth removing it, rubbing it with a wire brush to clean it up and then reconnect.

The battery in the car is not a standard one, but i tested it with a multimeter and got a reading of 12.8 volts.

I have stripped the earth point, cleaned the contact point, bolt and washer with a wire brush, and also cleaned the battery contacts.

At the moment, its working ok, and fingers crossed it will stay like like. It may take a couple of weeks before i can be sure it is sorted.

Thank you for the replies.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Update - Since cleaning the earth point by the battery, all ran fine for a few days, but now is worse than ever.

Faults are: Trip Mileage resets to 000.0 intermittently,

Drivers side electric window switch - Led light flashes constantly

Odometer displays dashes instead of mileage

Remote Central locking intermittently not working at all.

Is this likely to be a major fix, or something fairly straight forward? Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like you have the old instrument panel failure issue at least, that will cause some of what you see and can be fixed for about 100 quid, as fit the led, could be a loose connection to the earth, as for the locking issues, could be a bad key.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club