Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight Cutoff Point Quite Close

m1tch

Hi all,

Just something I noticed whilst getting used to my new mk6 about how far the headlights throw the light, I have the headlight level at '0' as its only me in the car most of the time which would give the highest level eg longest throw of light.

I noticed that although the beam pattern is pretty good with a clean cutoff the light isn't actually being projected very far in front of the car, I have driven a fair few other cars and I can safely say that the headlights have a very short throw.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this at all? On High beam the output is good, however on dipped I might as well not really have them on as I can see further than the headlight is throwing the light.

Also, can someone confirm if they are H4s or H7s - I am getting conflicting reports as to what bulbs they are, I am guessing they are H7s are the light output and colour from dipped to full is massively different.

Having another read around some of the other forums it seems that I am not alone, guessing its a design fault or just badly thought out, example:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=676399

Really quite concerning as on dipped beam the light isn't really being thrown far enough in front of the car, might have to fit aftermarket units soon which would be a bit safer.

You can adjust the height & aim of the Headlights by turning two screws on the back of the Headlights..

I wouldn't say its a design flaw, some garages just go over cautious when adjusting headlights

If you were really bothered you could

Follow my guide about retrofitting Bixenon projectors & H1 HIDs

Or rewire the Headlights so that when you put the full beam on, the low beam filament doesn't go out. But you'd have to make sure that the full beam wasn't on when it's not meant to be..

Thanks for the help, I will double check that the headlight alignment motors etc are working (in case it stuck on the fully loaded setting). I also have some H4 bulbs coming to swap those out - the manual states that I need to remove the headlights, but I am guessing that I can just move the coolant tank behind the driver side to get to that, the passenger side seems like it has a fair bit of space.

It seems really odd that the dipped beam is so much worse than the main beam even though its the same bulb etc - will see if there are any other issues. I might also measure the distance the headlights have and perhaps see if I can compare with others - will also compare with a few other cars to see.

Thanks for the help, I will double check that the headlight alignment motors etc are working (in case it stuck on the fully loaded setting). I also have some H4 bulbs coming to swap those out - the manual states that I need to remove the headlights, but I am guessing that I can just move the coolant tank behind the driver side to get to that, the passenger side seems like it has a fair bit of space.

It seems really odd that the dipped beam is so much worse than the main beam even though its the same bulb etc - will see if there are any other issues. I might also measure the distance the headlights have and perhaps see if I can compare with others - will also compare with a few other cars to see.

Trust me, you need to remove the Headlights. Pull out the grill and then it's 3 Torq screws a side.

The bulbs use 2 filaments. One has a shielded cutoff to keep the beam down low

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Removing headlights are easier to remove than messing about with expansion tank etc.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I will be repainting my front grill so I will probably swap over the bulbs when I have things apart anyway.

I will take a few photos of the current setup as well as measurements etc.

You've no idea how simple it is to

1.) Remove the grill &

2.) Remove the Headlights.. barely takes 10minutes to change a bulb..

You've no idea how simple it is to

1.) Remove the grill &

2.) Remove the Headlights.. barely takes 10minutes to change a bulb..

Better than the Renault Megane where you have to remove the front wheel and then you might have a 50:50 chance to get to the bulb via the wheel arch access port.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club