Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just Plasti Dipped My Wheels

Taylor22

Hi, I've just plasti dipped my wheels on my car today so I thought I'd upload a few photos for those who are interested.

This is the before shot

post-70233-0-83908100-1448557435_thumb.j

This is after 4 coats, i put another 2 on after for good measure

post-70233-0-56733500-1448557524_thumb.j

This is after i took the bin bag out from behind the wheel

post-70233-0-04631100-1448557639_thumb.j

And finally a full shot of the car

post-70233-0-03809700-1448557740_thumb.j

The last two photos aren't in good lighting so apologies for that. Look's really good in person in my opinion.

For anyone looking to do it themselves, I used rust-o-leum peel coat matt black, £9.99 from Halfords. Did 5/6 coats on all wheels and still have some left in the can, so great value compared to the 'plasti dip' brand which is £15 a can and harder to get a hold of.

I did my other car with the same stuff about two months ago and its held up really well in the bad weather. Any questions feel free to ask.

• Like 1

Like the look of that, why didn't you cover the ford badge and the wheel nuts?

Roughly how long did each wheel take?

Did you do it with the wheels on the car or did you take them off?

Like the look of that, why didn't you cover the ford badge and the wheel nuts?

Roughly how long did each wheel take?

Did you do it with the wheels on the car or did you take them off?

Didn't cover the wheelnuts as they're silver and wouldn't look right against a black wheel. Didn't think the blue ford on a black wheel with red calipers would go either. Just personal preference to have it all black really. And its about 10 minutes to dry between coats then leave it to fully dry for 24 hours before driving on it.

Also I left the wheels on, pull a bin bag through the spokes to cover the breaks and drums behind the wheel and then there's no need to take the wheel off, then just take the bag out from behind once it's all dry.

• Like 1

Just to clarify, mine personally took just under an hour to do all 4 but it depends how many coats you put on. Also it is plasti dip so it will come off the bolt covers and ford badge when you choose to take it off.

Yeah, each to their own, like that you've had the plums to go for it!

Think I may have to have a go in the new year, my car is a ZS like yours but it's black so I'm a bit unsure of how it may look - you can remove plastidip right?

Yea you can remove it whenever you want. Also you can get other colours so just pick a colour you think will suit. I'm gonna buy the silver metalizer soon. If you have a black base coat and then put the silver over the top it goes a gun metal grey which I think suits any car so go for that maybe?

Yeah that's what I was thinking, black on black can make the tyres look permanently dirty.

So you can get differently coloured plastidips?

I did mine a few months ago and was very careful with my application. I was very pleased with how they looked but unfortunately it only lasted a couple of weeks before starting to peel off. I hope you have better luck.