Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reversing Lights, Focus 18 Diesel Ghia,

Ash666

Hi everyone hope your all well.

Can anyone help with reversing light problems,

Checked bulbs, ok,

Changed switch on gear box and checked for voltage, ok

Checked for any blown fuses, ok but iv been told there are two fuse boxes on the focus so any clues to where the other is besides the one under the bonnet,

Regards Ash

There's another fuse box below the glove box, in the front passenger side footwell.

If you've got a carpet/fabric moulding, you'll need to squeeze the two yellow grip clips to remove it.

The fuse box is secured by two rotating plastic fasteners, after turning these anti-clockwise, it will drop down

Hi,

Thanks for the info i,ll have a look and heres hopeing its just a fuse,

Regards Ash

Good evening everyone,

This is how it stands so far,

Replaced gear box reversing switch, ok

Checked both fuse boxes, ok

checked bulbs, ok

checked power to the rear lights, ok,

But still no reversing light,

Any more suggestions,

Regards Ash

Oh, in that case, have you checked the bulb sockets? Could be a poor earth, either to the body from the socket, or the actual socket has corrosion on/in it

Hi, all earths are clean, took them off and greased the earth wires to the body,

The rear light clusters have good connections that feed all the other bulbs too,

This one just dosent seem right, both reversing lights go out at the same time, even with a multi meter on the light cluster theres current when gear lever is in reverse, then put it in neutral and the current goes away,

Really dont know where to go with this one,

Regards Ash

You say the bulbs are ok . . . how have you checked them to know they are ok & have you tried new bulbs ?

bulbs are new as is the switch on the gear box, thought id go down the easy route first, all fuses have been checked in both fuse boxes, under bonnet and behind glove box, all are ok, as iv said theres current getting to the bulbs when gear lever is in reverse position,

If current is reaching the reversing light bulbholders & the fitted bulbs that are proven to work do not illuminate, it must be an earthing issue, probably at the bulbholders

As far as i have found theres only 1 earth going into the connector and 1 on the body, the 2 earths feed the whole cluster and all rear bulbs work accept reversing lights,

Iv just ran out of ideas now as im sure its something simple

Have you measured for voltage at the actual reverse bulb contact within the reversing lamp bulbholder ?

What seems strange is both sides have stopped working and both sides have independant earths

Voltage reads around 10 volts with engine not running but goes to just under 12 with engine running,

That's low voltage either way - especially the 10 volt figure ,which is cause for concern , , but the other bulbs work , , so - is the reversing bulb single or double contact ?

seems low at 10 but it feeds all the other bulbs thats why i cant understand why they dont work, the reversing bulbs are single, only double is rear light and breaking light

Next step is an auto electrician if I cant sort it,

I can think of no other cause than bad earths on the reversing light circuit - as all other requirements for the bulbs to work are present & correct

It is indeed baffling & may need a car sparky to investigate further

Think you could be right, because im baffled too,

Well I thank you and anyone else trying to help me sort it, I,ll update this thread when I find out what it is,

Regards Ash

• Like 2

have you actully powerd the bulbs to illuminate them as they maybe duff ones even if they are new

Martin i tried other bulbs from the cluster that work and they didnt work in the reversing slot

You've exhausted all the possibilities, I think as you and Mark have concluded, it's probably time a for an auto electrician to investigate. :)

With that voltage drop, the only thing I can now think of now , which you've bound to have already looked, is has the insulation somewhere on the reverse light loom cracked or chafed in some way, and is leaking to earth; albeit poorly

• Like 1

The 10 volt supply feed that Ash mentioned is neither good or normal & definitely needs further investigation as previously stated

The 10 volt supply feed that Ash mentioned is neither good or normal & definitely needs further investigation as previously stated

Well I'm just waiting on a call back from an auto electrician let's hope he can sort it for me. Drained my brain

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club