Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quick Power Steering Replacement Question

cbirchy87

Hi!

So the PAS pump has gone and will be replaced at the weekend. I have also purchased a new union nut. I have researched this am i right in thinking the pipes also need replacing also? I say this as it seems the the union can only be removed when cutting the pipe........

I hope im wrong,

I was told a new nut was needed when replacing the pump.....is the wrong.

Cant you replace the pump without changing the nut and pipes?

Actually , you can reuse the pipes, you have to remove the pipes and pump together , and undo union , there was an issue with pipes leaking at union so the pioes were cut off to remove union in situ then new pipes and union was required, if your renewing pump then the union will be of no use to you as wont get old one off pipe,

So if im just replacing the pump, i wont need new pipes or union?

Nope, but a new sealing washer on the end of union you will need , or carefully remove the one on the new union you have.

It is restricted to undo union even out the vehicle, thats probably why some end up changing pipes also

Well this is embarrassing!

After taking the car to a indy and ordering the parts. it turns out the issue was no steering wheel fluid in the tank! Garage said they checked this before handing over the £320 quote.

I guess my problem now is where did it all go?

3 places, either externaly from pipes leaking, pump leaking or rack leaking internally and filling up in rack boots

• Like 1

Thanks, Ill have a dig around. will use some card to check for a leak first.

You've gotta notice that on your driveway lol? Why did the garage not diagnose where the leak was?

The car is parked on the road, I did notice oil makes on the road but ignored it as work is being completed on my block of flats. im going to leave some card under the car to check.

• 7 years later...

Quick question, I have purchased a used but good power streering pump which still has the union nut installed. Can I reuse this or will I have to put in a new union nut? 

On 12/1/2015 at 1:28 PM, TomsFocus said:

Why does the nut need replacing? Are they one use on these?

the morons used a quick release coupling - snap and connect with NO way to sensibly get it off again

they also fitted weak pipes that after fighting for space doing an alternator or cambelt - likely stressed the high pressure pipe till it will fracture shortly after - which is likely why it now needs a pump - Ford redid the pipes with an upgraded spec including a support arm (that gets in the way of fitting it !!!) to stop the fracture and fluid loss

the upgraded pipes I believe are sold at cost - as there was a legal fight over the stupidly of the original design - both times I had to get them they were STOCK items at my local dealership - but last was last 4 years back - so less likely now

11 minutes ago, Botus said:

the morons used a quick release coupling - snap and connect with NO way to sensibly get it off again

they also fitted weak pipes that after fighting for space doing an alternator or cambelt - likely stressed the high pressure pipe till it will fracture shortly after - which is likely why it now needs a pump - Ford redid the pipes with an upgraded spec including a support arm (that gets in the way of fitting it !!!) to stop the fracture and fluid loss

the upgraded pipes I believe are sold at cost - as there was a legal fight over the stupidly of the original design - both times I had to get them they were STOCK items at my local dealership - but last was last 4 years back - so less likely now

This thread was posted in 2015. :unsure: 

• Haha 1

and there was a question about it posted - 16 may -  can you read?

I appreciate an old post but mine is dead at my daughters atmo, i think my pump has gone, whine that gets louder with increased revs, change of note waggling the steering and small oil drops on the road also burning off somewhere as slightly smoking. Plenty of fluid in the resevoir. Hope mine has the cheaper end of pump allegedly £160 - £560 in parts.

49 minutes ago, Botus said:

and there was a question about it posted - 16 may -  can you read?

You didn't quote that post or answer it directly though.  The recent poster probably didn't even get a notification for it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club