Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Unbelievable

simcor

Absolutely! people on phones, facebook (which is now integrated into cars like BMW!!!!!) or daydreaming are the problem.

• Like 1

It is true that many drivers attempt to join a motorway at too slow a speed - they are inadequate drivers in need of further tuition.

It's good driving practice & considerate towards others to move into lane 2 or 3 at around one mile before a junction in anticipation of slower moving traffic joining the motorway & if more drivers did this lane 1 would be empty at the on slip therefore allowing easy & safer access for all traffic joining the motorway & safer progression of vehicles already on the motorway

I really cannot agree with the comment that drivers on a motorway should move out of the nearside lane before every junction, manoeuvring on a motorway or dual carriageway takes a lot of judgement and unless you use these types roads a lot this is not straightforward, , I do not believe that a large amount of lane changing is very safe.

For instance, it is not always easy when changing lanes to an offside lane not to get to close to someone changing lanes to their nearside, as they are in your ‘blind spot’. The less lane changing the better/safer.

Feel free to disagree Jim

I'm just stating the facts of good driving practice & that is that multiple lane changes are part & parcel of safe motorway driving.

I've never yet driven in permanently just one lane on any motorway journey & I must have driven in excess of half a million miles in 36 years without incident

Are you an experienced driver ?

• Like 2

Obviously I don’t mean that you should stay in one lane all the time, that’s ridiculous. I have been driving for about 50 years, both here and abroad in left and right hand drive cars, also in the military, I also drove an emergency vehicles for the best part of 24 years, so you can draw your own conclusion.

I think that this conversation has run it's course, perhaps we should agree to differ on this subject and leave it here.

• Like 2

I will certainly agree to disagree.

• Like 1

I was taught to change lanes before and after junctions on my advanced course.

It's all about reading the road and allowing smoother progress without affecting other road users.

I also take the 'racing line' (moving in to the lane on the inside of a bend on a motorway) when possible and safe.

This allows me to progress at a steady pace and gives more room to recover a skid at speed before hitting armco or a ditch.

• Like 6

As Clive above states - my point is made to those who are clearly in need of further tuition . . . .

• Like 2

I take the racing line too, I personally think I have some traits of "advanced driving" though I go with the flow on when to use them as appropriate.

I do tend to move out the lane when necessary, but if I can allow for seamless integration, to keep my fuel costs down then I will, but otherwise I agree its best to move out the way.

I was taught to change lanes before and after junctions on my advanced course.

It's all about reading the road and allowing smoother progress without affecting other road users.

I also take the 'racing line' (moving in to the lane on the inside of a bend on a motorway) when possible and safe.

This allows me to progress at a steady pace and gives more room to recover a skid at speed before hitting armco or a ditch.

Very similar to how I was taught by my driving instructor in some ways.

All about making progress even at slow speed or higher speed, using the full width of the road (using the apex) when available especially on country lanes, and also keeping the vehicle moving as much as possible at a steady speed and making progress.

Something very few drivers do these days, how many times do you come up to a roundabout and the car in front brakes to an almost standstill or complete stop to see if anything is coming round the roundabout, instead of looking and checking the roundabout as your speed is lowering, thinking in your head "is it safe to proceed?" "yes it is". It's clear you have looked and assessed there is nothing on the roundabout or no other hazards and can go without stopping or slowing down needlessly,

• Like 3

...how many times do you come up to a roundabout and the car in front brakes to an almost standstill or complete stop to see if anything is coming round the roundabout, instead of looking and checking the roundabout as your speed is lowering, thinking in your head "is it safe to proceed?" "yes it is". It's clear you have looked and assessed there is nothing on the roundabout or no other hazards and can go without stopping or slowing down needlessly,

I thought this was just me being impatient, didn't realise it happens to everyone...happens to me every single day! I often 'roll' up to a roundabout in 2nd or 3rd, good visibility, nothing coming, the car in front jumps on the brake right at the last minute and I nearly end up in their boot... Winds me up no end and after 2 or 3 times I'm usually on the horn... It's really not hard to look further than 2 feet in front of the car and is extremely dangerous to be jumping on the brake for no reason... Where I live there are 3 roundabouts close together on a 70mph dual carriageway, there are always tailbacks there for no reason other than lack of forward planning, 'most' of the traffic is going straight on or left at the roundabouts yet there is still 900yd+ of traffic built up there from about 3pm to 7pm due to this. I now take an earlier turn off to avoid the roundabouts...then usually get stuck behind someone that can't manage more than 30 on a wide single carriage national limit and has to jump on the brake at every slight bend or leaf that blows near them... Sigh...
  • Like 1

I thought this was just me being impatient, didn't realise it happens to everyone...happens to me every single day! I often 'roll' up to a roundabout in 2nd or 3rd, good visibility, nothing coming, the car in front jumps on the brake right at the last minute and I nearly end up in their boot... Winds me up no end and after 2 or 3 times I'm usually on the horn... It's really not hard to look further than 2 feet in front of the car and is extremely dangerous to be jumping on the brake for no reason... Where I live there are 3 roundabouts close together on a 70mph dual carriageway, there are always tailbacks there for no reason other than lack of forward planning, 'most' of the traffic is going straight on or left at the roundabouts yet there is still 900yd+ of traffic built up there from about 3pm to 7pm due to this. I now take an earlier turn off to avoid the roundabouts...then usually get stuck behind someone that can't manage more than 30 on a wide single carriage national limit and has to jump on the brake at every slight bend or leaf that blows near them... Sigh...

Nope not just you, same with people who brake hard for every hazard coming up, instead of assessing the situation and looking for any hazards being present and ease of a little bit in anticipation and then progress.

I do get very frustrated by people who can't drive to a decent standard and hold everyone else up needlessly.

Assume that no one else can drive for toffee and expect the unexpected even though you expect it to happen all the time lol

I am sure most people get their licence out of a cornflakes packet by collecting tokens lol other cereals are available.

• Like 4

Some drivers are beyond further education unfortunately . . .

• Like 1

driving standards are terrible no matter where you live and commute

• Like 1

Very similar to how I was taught by my driving instructor in some ways.

All about making progress even at slow speed or higher speed, using the full width of the road (using the apex) when available especially on country lanes, and also keeping the vehicle moving as much as possible at a steady speed and making progress.

Something very few drivers do these days, how many times do you come up to a roundabout and the car in front brakes to an almost standstill or complete stop to see if anything is coming round the roundabout, instead of looking and checking the roundabout as your speed is lowering, thinking in your head "is it safe to proceed?" "yes it is". It's clear you have looked and assessed there is nothing on the roundabout or no other hazards and can go without stopping or slowing down needlessly,

The A31 between Merley and Ringwood get clogged up regularly, with the un-anticipating drivers stopping dead, in all lanes, at the roundabouts.

When I get the dog's food in West Moors, it's actually quicker to go through Ferndown town centre, than use the principal trunk road :o

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club