Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Uneven Tickover When Cold

nwsavvy

Hi All. i have a strange problem with tickover on my 2007 TDCI 2.0 Ghia. From cold the tickover is ok then suddenly it will miss a beat, it can then settle down, then the car will start bouncing for 10 seconds or so, settle down and then repeat this for 5 minutes or so until it warms up. Changed fuel filter,air filter and cleaner in the fuel. Recently had oil and filter change but did it before all these symptoms.No EML except for the blanking plate on the EGR.

It runs like a dream as soon as it gets even slightly warm and seems worse in the colder weather we are having now.According to the onboard computer I am getting 54.3 or so MPG and that is aroung town with the occasional 35 mile trip so 70 miles there and back. great acceleration with no problems.

Any ideas? could it be a sensor at all?

Cheers

Does your car ever get any high engine revolution, high vehicle speed long journeys - or is it all low mileage town driving ?

Hi, Yes every week it gets at least 70 miles motorway. I tend to give it 3500/4000 revs for maybe 10 or so minutes on these runs. It gets a few runs on holidays across country when it even registered 60.2 MPG. Otherwise it is local with some 15/20 mile runs.some Italian tune ups when SWMBO isn't in the car.

Does that help?

Cheers

Yes it does, so what make was the new fuel filter ?

Did the car have the issues before the fuel filter was changed ?

Hi, The fuel filter was a genuine ford item and yes the car did this before I changed the filter. I changed the filter to dismiss that being the cause.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Just another thing, I put a new battery on but the car had the problem before that!

Cheers

Could be the crankshaft sensor, or it could be injector related?

Hi Jeebowhite,

Thought about both your ideas but as it runs perfect when even slightly worn I was leaning towards MAF,MAG, or even a temp sensor. Really pleased with the motor otherwise. It is just a bit annoying that's all.

Cheers

MAF should be easily resolved with electrical contact cleaner.

As for the crankshaft, you might be surprised. It can play alsorts of weird tricks, between delaying startup, taking a longer crank, and running rough when cold.

Have you done a proper diagnostic scan? might be worth getting a modified ELM and FORSCAN on there.

MMMM you got me thinking now about the crank sensor! will clean the MAF first and remove the blank plate see how that goes. There's a local chap who does all the diesel taxis around here with testing gear so get him to put a test on there.

Thanks again

• Like 2

Probably best to leave the blank in - at least that will negate potential EGRV issues in the short term & help make your engine live longer in the long term

• Like 2

Hi Jeebowhite. Can you explain please: Have you done a proper diagnostic scan? might be worth getting a modified ELM and FORSCAN on there. If I get a modded ELM (I have googled them) what do I do? These modern cars get me LOL give me points and a cigarette packet Ha Ha.

sorry to be an idiot!! Any help etc.

Thanks.

I have done diagnostics, tracked an airbag problem and resolved it using forscan, along with other smaller issues. Get th e modified elm cable (500k) from eBay about fifteen quid, plug in and connect up to forscan, then let it so the diagnostic scan and click the switch when prompted.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi, Thanks for that. Birthday and Christmas present methinks!!!!

Thanks again :)

• Like 1

No worries fella, definitely worth having in the car. I have that with a small windows tablet, its a spot on diagnostic software for the ford, and does a few other models too!

• Like 1

Me again Jeebowhite. Having looked into this ELM jobbie can you tell me which unit I need? I can sort the switch out no problem to modify it. If I can build pedals and valve amps I think I can possibly manage that. If you wouldn't mind doing that then I can get on with it as I have downloaded the Forscan.Just a thought I will be using Win 10.

Many Thanks again

Barrie ;)

To be honest for the price of 15 quid it's as easy to but a premade jobber off eBay.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=181457167332&alt=web

Not sure what you mean by pedals and valve amps though lol

Thanks, will get one now. Pedals and amps:_ guitar effects and amplifiers etc. LOL I build them along with guitars.

Cheers

Barrie

Lol I was thinking that but couldn't make sense where they came into the car diagnosis lol

• Haha 1

Ahh that got you thinking then haha, me with too much time on my hands now i'm retired doing more with hobbies than ever.

Have a good Christmas if that is your thing.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Long time I know but regarding the original problem, I changed the air filter again yesterday as a matter of course and decided to remove the top of said filter housing to clean it. I noticed that the clip that holds the rubber hose after the MAF sensor was missing. With my limited knowledge of said 130 TDCi I would have thought that this could have caused the uneven tickover? I have cable tied it at the moment until I can get a clip.

It does seem better today on a 75 mile motorway run, will keep an eye on it

Thoughts please!!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club