Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Very Loud Noise When Reversing And Pressing Brakes

Snowbird

Hi guys.

I have a 58 plate Ford Focus with 48k miles on it which sometimes makes a really loud "groaning" type noise when going backwards (both when rolling in free and when in reverse gear) and pressing the brakes. It happens more often if the car is on an incline. It never makes the noise when going forwards. I'm not sure where the noise is coming from, but as I said it only makes itself heard when the brakes are pressed.

I've taken the car to the local Ford dealer, but they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I suspect that the noise didn't make itself heard when they drove it - it doesn't always do, so not easy to replicate every time. But when it does make itself heard, it is really loud - almost like a noise a large lorry would make. People in the vicinity tend to look at the car in bewilderment. It almost always happens when I'm trying to park somewhere.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

does it do it if you use the handbrake instead of your pedal ?

Now, if you had anything but a Titanium, I would have said your trailing brake shoes are binding on the drums. But Titaniums have disc brakes.

Has it rained a lot since this noise started?

Possibly inner handbrake cables seizing - I experienced similar on my old 05 plate Mondeo ST TDCi & that had rear discs

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Sorry to bump a very old thread, but I have this exact problem.

Just wondering if the OP found the cause?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If it only does it in reverse it is not the hand brake cables it won't be bushes on the early focus they all have rear drums apart from the devil fuel diesel, or the 2.0.

So if it's the 1.6 petrol Jack up the back end take wheels of and pull the drums off you may need to 10mm bolts to pull them as they can be a git, if they are a git there is a cover on the back plate you pull it out and you can get at the brake shoe adjusters.

once drums are of have a look if really dirty get yourself sum brake cleaner and wash all the crap of.

if you are confident pull the components clean them all make sure the self adjusters are free and doing what they should grease the points of contact and reassemble.

paul

• 8 months later...

Mine has started doing this i have disc brakes at rear.

• 7 months later...

Snowbird, did you ever get this problem resolved? Exactly the same issue on a 2007 Ford Focus Ghia automatic with 48k miles. Loud noise when moving away in reverse. Disc brakes replaced but noise remains . Any answers please 

Hi mate I’ve a 2009 c- max had same issue I got some brake cleaner spray and soaked brake disc and pad in it and hey presto it’s not returned keith

Mine does exactly the same, an O8 Titanium - 82,000 miles, had it a bit over a year, fine in every other respect, it seems to be a 'feature'.  It seems to be some sort of resonance and varies with brake pressure, my drive is slightly down hill when I back in, so I used to get it a lot, but I find if I reduce the brake pressure a smidge, I can normally avoid it.

HTH

Martin

13 hours ago, Ford fanatic said:

Snowbird, did you ever get this problem resolved? Exactly the same issue on a 2007 Ford Focus Ghia automatic with 48k miles. Loud noise when moving away in reverse. Disc brakes replaced but noise remains . Any answers please 

I doubt you will have any response from Snowbird.

He last visited this forum on 9 December 2015.

ScaniaPBman.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi

My car does this exact thing as well. It's a 2011 diesel titanium (discs on rear).

Sometimes when it does it I can feel it vibrate the steering wheel which to me suggests it's not just the back brakes (if it is them at all).

Does anyone know the solution?

Thanks,

As in my answer above from a year ago, it's probably not easily fixable and probably not worth the effort trying... See if you can work around it by finding a brake pressure that doesn't do it, slightly less pressure in my case.  Mine still does it, but I've learnt how to avoid it - treat it as a challenge 😂.

• 3 months later...

As mentioned before, I have a 2011 ford cmax, rear disk model..

When reversing and break I get a knock (bang) noise each time I press the breaks but not when driving forward. I have had the pads changed recently also?

On 8/15/2019 at 6:10 PM, Azz7171 said:

As mentioned before, I have a 2011 ford cmax, rear disk model..

When reversing and break I get a knock (bang) noise each time I press the breaks but not when driving forward. I have had the pads changed recently also?

Was is doing it before you had the pads changed?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club