Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 7.5 Humming Noise In Reverse

Jazman23

HI guys I recently bought a brand new 65 plate Fiesta Zetec, had it since October from new and have put about 2500 miles on the clock so far. I've notice quite a few times now that when reversing the car makes sort of like a loud Low pitched Humming noise when reversing. It doesn't do it every time but its doing it more and more. It's hard to describe. It happens either when reversing on a flat or when on a slope, even a very slight slope or when I'm turning when reversing, like reverse bay parking.

It's like a low pitched humming noise, only when in Reverse and not every time. This is separate to the normal high tone noise cars make when reversing. I did a bit of testing with it today when it started happening and when it happens the engine feels like it wants to stall or like its struggling. It does it when im bringing the clutch up and the faster I go the louder it gets and the more the engine stutters. It's also regardless of whether or not the car is moving for example, I put the hand brake on and brought the clutch up to bite point for a second and it did it then so i think it's when the clutch is engaging rather then something with the engine itself and it doesn't matter if i'm putting pressing the accelerator or just the clutch. Best way I can describe it is like the noise you get when you blow across the top off a glass bottle haha!

Apart from that there have been no issues with the reverse gear, no grinding or popping out if gear at all unlike my old 58 plate Mk7.

Question is, has anyone else had anything similar and is it normal? Would it be worth speaking with my Ford dealer and seeing if they can take a look under warranty?

My 15 does it and so did my 13 plate. Others have commented on this problem. I live with it but others have gone back to the dealer without success

My 15 does it and so did my 13 plate. Others have commented on this problem. I live with it but others have gone back to the dealer without success

Ahh well I feel a little bit better knowing it's not just me lol. That's my worry going to the dealer about it because it doesn't happen every time. Knowing my luck they wouldn't be able to reproduce it. I wonder if it's to do with them being Ecoboost models

It's not just the Ecoboost. I had a 58 plate mk 7 that did it and a 59 my 11 plate diesel didn't have the issue. When I traded in for my first ecoboost 13 plate I noticed it after around 1500 miles . My current 64 ecoboost has been fine so far . If I remember sometime ago there was a post on here and I think it was down to a clutch issue

It's not just the Ecoboost. I had a 58 plate mk 7 that did it and a 59 my 11 plate diesel didn't have the issue. When I traded in for my first ecoboost 13 plate I noticed it after around 1500 miles . My current 64 ecoboost has been fine so far . If I remember sometime ago there was a post on here and I think it was down to a clutch issue

I did try searching before posting on here but didn't have much look finding a similar post. Can you remember if it was resolved for the person?

Try searching for ( New fiesta ecoboost groan when reversing)

There's a couple of pages .seems to be the clutch like thought