Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TDCI Problems. Can anyone help please?

oggsy

Hi everyone, I am looking for a substantial bit of help. I'll give you the long version as details count. Its a 2002 TDCI mondeo with 70k on the clock one company owner. Company has maintained themselves mostly (engineering company) and was sold to a friend of a friend last year. From the off he had problems with running so spent #1500 quid on egr valve, turbo,air flow meter, 4 new injectors,pump was checked ok, still running rough. He was offered his money back by the company so it fell into my hands at a cheap price. I had the diagnostic chappie onto it and came up with 2 injectors calibrated 2 not He calibrated it and run perfectly home. Came to restart and hey presto back to square 1.

Symptoms are - starts ok usually, idle lumpy tickover showing about 850rpm but feeling about 300rpm, smoky on accelleration but once at speed feels 95 % there. As it was sound before I am hoping it is a small thing to correct it seems as if it has forgotten the calibration redo ( maybe a chip/sensor) also it was low on fuel (totally my fault Wally!) this i am going to try to rectify with new fuel and a redex dose with thrash. Any suggestions please?

Hi everyone, I am looking for a substantial bit of help. I'll give you the long version as details count. Its a 2002 TDCI mondeo with 70k on the clock one company owner. Company has maintained themselves mostly (engineering company) and was sold to a friend of a friend last year. From the off he had problems with running so spent #1500 quid on egr valve, turbo,air flow meter, 4 new injectors,pump was checked ok, still running rough. He was offered his money back by the company so it fell into my hands at a cheap price. I had the diagnostic chappie onto it and came up with 2 injectors calibrated 2 not He calibrated it and run perfectly home. Came to restart and hey presto back to square 1.

Symptoms are - starts ok usually, idle lumpy tickover showing about 850rpm but feeling about 300rpm, smoky on accelleration but once at speed feels 95 % there. As it was sound before I am hoping it is a small thing to correct it seems as if it has forgotten the calibration redo ( maybe a chip/sensor) also it was low on fuel (totally my fault Wally!) this i am going to try to rectify with new fuel and a redex dose with thrash. Any suggestions please?

An acqaintance of mine had this very problem just 2 weeks ago, and it was due to the crud in the tank & system. A new fuel filter, and a couple of gallons of diesel + a dose of "FORTE" diesel system cleaner, gives a quick decoke, and cleans pipes, injectors, lambda probe, EGR valve, and within a very few miles, smooth-running is restored, and the tank can ba filled to the neck, as the 400 cc bottle treats 100 litres of diesel. I have been buying this thro' the trade counter at my Ford dealership, who use it routinely at services. You won't find it outside the trade. I am now using the petrol version, after 8 years with diesels. eBay seems to be a source although I cannot vouch for it's authenticity. They also do an engine flushing additive. Even Mercedes have been using "FORTE", but are now under contract to a different brand.

For general info., the water content in diesel causes the growth of algae in your car's fuel system, and this coats pipes, injectors, lambda probes, and EGR valves, and "FORTE" gets rid of this. I used this every 3 months for 8 years, and am now using the petrol version. £7.50p + VaT well spent.

when the two injectors were recoded was the car run for 5 miles or more, this is required to set the codeing as the injector pilots do not set straight away. if this was not the case an injector may not of coded correctly and would give the symptons you have.

when the two injectors were recoded was the car run for 5 miles or more, this is required to set the codeing as the injector pilots do not set straight away. if this was not the case an injector may not of coded correctly and would give the symptons you have.

Thanks to you both for replying. I have looked on googlemaps and according to them it was 6 miles drive back so it may be borderline as to whether it had time to code. so i am having it redone, using fresh fuel and filter with the additive and giving it a good thrash. one thing has newly cropped up, yellow glow plug light is now came on and constantly flashes and an audible beep comes on once, any further ideas ? ta very much

a flashing glow plug light usually points towards injector problems.

a flashing glow plug light usually points towards injector problems.

oh dear. injectors at a cost of 200 quid + each were replaced 800 miles ago by previous, running out of ideas but thanks a lot anyway

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having the same problem with mine hauing had to replace the clutch & flywheel (£620) get the flashing glow plug light permanently goes in for diagnostic told injector leaking and have to replace lot (£700 by Halfords ) goto fords am told only need to do one (£200+vat new + £80 to code + fitting ) found a place jt fowler at stretford who will suppy & fit a recon injector and code for £167 + vat hope this helps any one else

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club