Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008 Mondeo Tdci Zetec Question

Grungemonkey

hi all I am looking at buying another mondeo as my Mazda 6 just bit the dust and I have found a 2008 1.8 TDCI Zetec at a very reasonable price but it does have 226k on the clock! Any advice on how much life this engine has left in it? The car has a good service history and had a cam belt done at 132k. I have seen reports that the TDCI's seem to be ok but when they fail it's big bucks to fix!

Any advice or past experiences with this engine would be nicely appreciated!

Thanks in advance Sean

Prepare to pay for another cambelt, fuel pump belt, pulleys and tensioners as soon as you get the car. I would also treat it to a dose of Teraclean.I would also prepare for the air con compressor to need replacing, and the alternator at least!

Depending on the reasonable price, and also the overall service history, if it i has had no bolt left unturned, it could easily do double that, but, even at a reasonable price, you can find the above, and turbo issues need resolving. In which case, you could still spend a lot on the car.

I bought mine with 100k on the clock for £3800, and its proven to be reliable, the whole belt change, came in at £700 or so, then its had other day to day bits done on it, needed a new battery etc. but for a 220k car, I dont think I have seen one that high!

How much is the reasonable price if you dont mind my asking?

Well it was up for just under 1000 which I thought was too good to be true! Otherwise Ii was looking at slightly older 2006's with only 100k on them!

I would try and get a few hundred off, given the work its going to need doing to it. I would say, prepare to fork out £700 for an indie to do the timing, and I would prepare for £700 for a new clutch and DMF. If they have all been done already (recently) then definitely get it, but if they havent, use that to negotiate the price.

Thanks for the advice know anything about the 2.2 TDCI SIV Zetec 2007? 130k mileage on this one! Similar price ( as you may guess I'm on around £1000 budget atm)

the 2.2 is a good engine, I think its a timing chain, so slightly more robust, but I would probably still get it changed as well, the DMF and clutch at that mileage will have seen better days.

To be honest, the worst you can do is drive the car, if the clutch feels rough, then you will likely need to replace it.

As long as the car has been looked after & had regular oil changes the timing chain in the 2.2 should last the life of the car.

I have the same engine in my Titanium coupled to a 6 speed gearbox, it's a very lively engine (same engine as used in the ST TDCi).

The car came with a bill for a new clutch & DMF at a cost of £1100 so check if that has been changed!

Injectors can be a common problem.

Mine has been faultless so far and I love it.

My old 05 plate 2.2 ST TDCi's engine was faultless in the 8 odd years / 50k that i owned the car, as was the car itself

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club