Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Airbag Light On Dash After Replacing Seats

mpk90

Hi all,

I have a 2003 1.8 TDCI Focus hatchback. I was at a scrapyard recently a found a mk1 Focus ST with near mint leather seats, so I had to have them to replace the grey cloth ones in mine. I'm pretty sure these leather seats have a heating element in them.

After replacing them, the airbag light is now on in the dash. Doing some research this looks like a common problem and it's hardly surprising as the seat connector is now not hooked up.

The old seats didn't have airbags in the sides, so am I right in thinking the connector is for a sensor in the seat? I didn't actually test it but the connector from the floor and the one in the new seats look different. I assumed they wouldn't fit so I didn't try at the time.

What are my options here? Does the airbag light mean the SRS components in the rest of the vehicle are affected?

Will I need to get an auto-electrician to wire something across the loom to trick the car into thinking everything's OK? Or can I still hook the two connectors together somehow? I'm not really sure how it all works.

I will try and take some photos soon to show the connectors on the seat and from the car floor.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: Had a quick glance and it looks like the new seats have the square loom whilst the one coming from the car is the rectangular one. If this is correct, how does this affect what I need to do?

I believe the sensor is indeed within the seat. I believes its used to acknowledge which passengers need protection if it needs to go boom. I dont believe it deploys the passenger airbag for example, if the passenger isnt present.

• Like 1

I believe the sensor is indeed within the seat. I believes its used to acknowledge which passengers need protection if it needs to go boom. I dont believe it deploys the passenger airbag for example, if the passenger isnt present.

Thanks for the info. Would the new seats be likely to have that sensor in as well? If so would it be possible to connect that part (without the heated seats bit) and have that fix the issue?

The sensor should really be standard, unless the seats are aftermarket. I would personally check around the seat, and make sure it hasnt been cut off, otherwise your probably best rewiring a sensor to it and then reconnecting it.

• Like 1

The sensor should really be standard, unless the seats are aftermarket. I would personally check around the seat, and make sure it hasnt been cut off, otherwise your probably best rewiring a sensor to it and then reconnecting it.

Thanks for your help, I'll check that out.

The seat occupation sensor is only installed into the passenger seats. The driver seat does not need a seat occupation sensor because this seat is always occupied of the car is driven.

The seat connectors are also connected to the seatbelt pre-tensioners which are activated in case of an accident. The seabelt pre-tensioners do have a small explosive charge which is activated by the Restraints Control Module in case of an accident. If the seatbelt pre-tensioners are not connected or have been activated the airbag warning light will be on.

• Like 2

The seat occupation sensor is only installed into the passenger seats. The driver seat does not need a seat occupation sensor because this seat is always occupied of the car is driven.

The seat connectors are also connected to the seatbelt pre-tensioners which are activated in case of an accident. The seabelt pre-tensioners do have a small explosive charge which is activated by the Restraints Control Module in case of an accident. If the seatbelt pre-tensioners are not connected or have been activated the airbag warning light will be on.

I'm guessing I'd probably know about it if the pre-tensioners had gone off?

So I need to connect the passenger sensor in the passenger seat, and the seatbelt connector in both seats?

Also, I've just had a look under the seats and the seat's connector is square whilst the car's connector is rectangular in shape.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club