Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Loss Of Power (Limp Home) 1.8 Lx Tdci Diesel

RetroJ

Hey guys,me again.

-Ford Focus 1.8 Tdci Lx Mk2-

Still having an issue with power loss,or as the masses call it,it's in Limp home mode and has been for a while now.

I gave up trying to diagnose it after a glow plug change,did nothing to performance,that and since I'm new to cars,hadn't a clue where to look for more advice without going to be bled dry of money from a Ford Garage.

The Engine management light is what first showed,followed by the loss I've been experiencing,this was only a month into buying the Car.

and got me thinking,,what about the Fuel Filter? If the past owner hadn't had it changed,or vary rarely and drove like a saint,it wouldn't have been an issue for him (by my thinking anyway),as it would require less fuel to be filtered through the ,,,err filter.

Could be the Egr but this sounds so expensive to have fixed,hope it's just a filter/Fuel issue.

As I was a new driver,my foot went down to test it's worth,,meaning (again in my head and bearing in mind that this theory is based on a previous saint never changing his filter) that when I drove the revs up it required more fuel to pass through and if enough fuel couldn't be pulled through the old filter,this might throw up an error and send it into Limp Home Mode,as the engine would be starved of Diesel at the Revs I was wanting from it,so the engine may have decided to play it safe and save me a major engine catastrophe.

This is just my thinking anyway,,please don't go about thinking that I'm crazy on the road,I drive very safe (even safer since Limp mode came a knocking) and would never put anyone's lives in danger,I have a little 5yo Princess who I love to death,so am very responsible road wise.

So why am I hear if I already have an inkling,,,I would love some opinions on this subject,mainly my theory? this may well be common sense to most advanced motorists ^ ^

I'm 31 btw,late starter lol

Thanks in advance

hey

Have you tried disconnecting the battery and leaving it off for at least half an hour

sometimes letting the ecu etc etc clear itsself helps

Jamie

Change the fuel filter as a first step & see if there is any improvement

Followed by a hefty slug of BG244 in the tank or similar.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 1

. . . . . & then take the car for a long distance, high engine revolution drive, aka Italian tune up :)

james_60

The battery was off for around an hour an half while I changed the Glow Plugs,nothing improved but thanks for suggesting ^ ^

MONDEO TXS 2.2

Italian Tune up sounds fun,will have to remember to state the reason to the police,,nah lol I'll drive down the M1 or something similar,plenty of leg room and still well within the Queens Highways limits.

williamweb

Thanks for the tip fella,so have you tried it? this will be a must as I want the tank as clean as can be to fully cure or rule out a fuel issue.

BG244 BG 244 Diesel Fuel Injector & Engine Cleaner

Will keep this updated with results etc,just waiting for my bead breaker to repair the tire first ,can't run on the space saver Donut forever (only had it on a week),then onto the Fuel issue.

A big Much Luv to all who replied

• Like 1

High engine speed as opposed to high roadspeed - get the rev's up & keep 'em up for a while :)

leave it in 4th on the motorway that will get the revs high enough at 70

• Like 1

Ok Guys new update,,,

The supplier of the fuel filter here has said my vin is for a C-max ford focus!

When checking on a Vin identification site,it does indeed say cmax,,,The vin was taken from:

-the windscreen-

-The drivers side door frame-

-The Receipt from the dealer-

So why is this? my car looks nothing like a cmax,It definitely is a 1.8 Tdci Lx,,even states this on the Autopoint Motors Uk Ltd Receipt pictured below,hmmm I need Yodas help here I think.

535190_10205288856917559_8225826962562181915012_10205288850837407_54838668670628

68856_10205288902478698_4280997728007147

Yeah so anyway they cancelled my order and said I needed a paper filer instead,,here is an image of the filter for your inspection,any thoughts?????

EDIT!!!

OK so further to some more google searches,On Halfords they have a fuel filter License plate search thing,,so I searched my plate and it did infact come up with a paper filter,,hmm

here

So ordered one,still confused over all of this though.

this is what you need.

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_mk2_fuel_filter_element_18l_diesel_2005-2008_f_1352443_c_424.htm

only get genuine ford you want, fordpartsUK are the cheapest ive found. the dealer parts shop will sell for 40+

as for your VIN, Its fine in ETIS so i wont worry about what the fordpartsuk guy said, hes gotten a few things wrong for me too before

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=562812B306A03923BFF3C902BECEF68F.eccvas502

Pick up a Bosch filter from euro car parts for £12.34 - Bosch is likely the OE manufacturer anyway.
Part number - 503590337

(discount code XMAS)

• Like 1

this is what you need.

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_mk2_fuel_filter_element_18l_diesel_2005-2008_f_1352443_c_424.htm

only get genuine ford you want, fordpartsUK are the cheapest ive found. the dealer parts shop will sell for 40+

as for your VIN, Its fine in ETIS so i wont worry about what the fordpartsuk guy said, hes gotten a few things wrong for me too before

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=562812B306A03923BFF3C902BECEF68F.eccvas502

Just ordered it from fordpartsuk,thank you for the information fella,cleared it up for me.

stef123

Thanks for the tip fella,will have to pick up a few just encase.

Will report back once fitted.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club