Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Engine Transplant

welshpete

Hey guys,

I realise this is probably old hat to you guys, but it's kinda new to me.

My Mrs blew the lump on her 2003 1.8 Focus zetec.....

We had a second hand lump put in, which came out of a 2002 which had been rear ended and written off as uneconomical to repair, but was running great, only 57 thousand on the clocks...Saw the car driving, heard the engine running etc.

When the engine was put into ours, it developed a rather nasty grinding noise, so out it came....turns out the chap had dropped a washer into one of the plug holes and subsequently ruined the barrel.....Now, the question is this....

He has a 1.8 Duratec out of a 2006 car there, which he says he can make fit......

I, however, have my doubts about this...

Can it be done, would the wiring match up, would any mountings/cross members need removing, would the brakes be need upgrading, as I beleive the Duratec has more power than the Zetec?

Any and all views/opinions/expert know how is very welcome...

Thanks guys, and I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and hope you have a great new year.

Regards

Pete

The 1.8 Duratec HE engine is completely different from the old 1.8 Zetec E engine and will not fit without major modifications. Both engines use the same (IB5) gearbox but that is actually the only similarity. Installing a Duratec HE engine into a focus MK1/MK1.5 is a major job and requires a lot of custom made parts.

The 1.8 Zetec E used in the focus MK1/MK1.5 is the last version of the old Ford engine Ford used for many years. This engine has a timing belt and a cable operated throttle body.

The 1.8 Duratec HE is based on the Mazda L engine. Back in the days Mazda was partly owned by Ford and Ford used the reliable Mazda L engine as a template to develop the Duratec HE engine. The Duratec HE engine has a timing chain and a fully electronic operated throttle body (drive by wire).

• Like 1

Was going to Say but beaten to it if you want to change the engine then like for like is easiest

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys.....

As I say, I had my doubts about his claims to be able to do the transplant.....sounds like a mare of hassle and ludicrous expense......Unless he wants to pay for the mods himself lol.

I have found another zetec engine, only this is a 2.0 l.......would this make much difference, apart from the hassle of notifying the dvla nutters about the change?

Regards

Pete

The 2.0 Zetec E engine has a different gearbox from the 1.8 Zetec E engine. The 1.8 Zetec E has the IB5 gearbox while the 2.0 Zetec E has the MTX75 gearbox.

It is possible to install a 2.0 Zetec E but in that case you also have to change the PCM, gearbox and both driveshafts.

Thanks for the info JW, I have spoken to him, and he will change the box and shafts as well, only an extra 80 quid for the box.....sounds ok to me.

Regards

Pete

If you want to drive the car for a few more Years it is recommended to change the clutch and cambelt while the engine and gearbox are still out of the car.. This is a lot easier with the engine and gearbox removed from the car. If they need to be changed next Year for example it will cost a lot more money.

• Like 1

I must admit I'm not overly enthusiastic after his first effort where he lost a washer down one of the bores.

• Like 2

The safest and best solution for you would be to find a car with a larger engine in the first place

Will save a hell of a lot of hassle expense and labour

surely a mk2.5 st would be a better bet for you

Jamie

Thanks for all the advice guys, in answer to some of the replies, the engine and fitting is already paid for, the guy is actually a close friend who has the workshop etc, and has a ready source of new and used parts available to him through his family. (His brother runs a performance tuning workshop), admittedly this is for Fiats......Performance there?) LOL.

As for getting an ST, the Focus is for my Mrs, and an ST whilst a great car for me, would be too much for her......her words not mine guys....

Cambelt and clutch kits are there with him, as are new leads, plugs filters etc, along with a supply of magnatec oil, though not sure if that is good for the engine or not......

Regards

Pete

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club