Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk 2.5 St Driveshaft: Pricing Question

James West Mids

Hi,

I'm very apprehensive about my local Ford garage due to bad experiences in the past. I have a quote from them to replace my passenger-side drive shaft: it's split and needs replacing.

To the mechanical experts, what would you expect to pay to do this work? Parts / labor / VAT (FULL PRICE)

I'll disclose what I've been quoted once I get some of your opinions. I do not want my quote to affect your opinions :P

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks,

James

for both a driver and pass shaft plus oil seal plus fitting i was qouted on a 1.6 focus over £600 do you mean the boot is split? if so you just need a new boot likely eurocarparts do the shafts at half the ford qouted price

Inner or outer cv gaiter? Or the whole shaft?

I'm told the whole shaft

Ford driveshafts are expensive, labour is 0.7hr

£575 inc vat im guessing could be £100 more?

Shaftec driveshafts are an alternative to ford shafts and probably half the price. Extras to shaft is bottom balljoint nut, shaft bolt and bit of transmission oil.

Find out who manufactures them and then see if they are cheaper (OEM)

That is if your car is out of warranty

Jamie

How can they be so expensive!?

Last pair of aftermarket shafts I bought were for the GTi6 and cost £75, took about an hour to change, most of which trying to pop the damn balljoint out.

Thanks all.

My actual quote is £380. Judging by what most of you have said, they seems a decent price?

Price includes parts, labor and VAT

Thats not bad then, not normal to replace whole shaft as the inner and outer joints can be bought from ford separately, unless your unlucky to have both ends knackered.

Either that or they see he can afford an RS and are trying to charge as much as possible... :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club