Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water Leak From The Roof, Front Roof Lining All Along Is Wet.....

Justin Smith

if its a Pilkington screen it was replaced in the past fords screens are branded fomoco but made by Pilkington a genuine from the factory screen is fomoco a replaced one is Pilkington its likely that when it was replaced it wasn't done right the heated screen elements if done properly wount cause an issue they should be taped to the screen then the bonding is pumped around the screen with all the interior trim removed its was to pop it into place and he on with the rest of the fitting some fitters to save time dont remove the interior trim making it fiddly and likely you'll get fingers in the bonding material causing sealing issues.since the screw was previously replaced it would be the likely culprit

On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 8:34 AM, Justin Smith said:

I finally got round to ordering some of that sealant, it did at least mean the tape across the top of the windscreen was there for 6 months and was a good test that the water was definitely coming from there !

I ordered the sealant at work but when I got home and examined the windscreen edge closely (to check how I`d get the sealant in) it seems there is a seal / trim missing, see picture. I checked another ford Focus in the swimming pool car park and it confirmed that the trim / seal isn`t there ! I take it there is now nowhere for the sealant to go so it wouldn`t work ?. 

What can I do ? ! ?

Am I right in assuming that, even if I managed to get one of the seals fitted, it wouldn`t actually cure the leak ? It looks more like a trim than a water seal. I`d have thought the actual bonding of the windscreen to the body is the seal ? Am I right or wrong ?

Incidentally I was talking to a windscreen fitter in Sheffield who said the actual cause of the leak is that Focus cars of the same model as mine have an awkward plug / socket arrangement for the heated screen and it`s that which sometimes makes the water seal fail. He said the later model has a connection which doesn`t affect the seal so much.

Ford Focus -  missing windscreen trim.jpg

I was having a look at another Focus yesterday and that didn`t appear to have the seal/trim. Not sure why, maybe that had also had a replacement windscreen, but the lady said it definitely did not leak, thus proving the seal/trim does not provide any essential sealing.

that's not a seal as such just a channel for the water the seal is the bond between the glass and frame

• Like 2

On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 9:55 AM, artscot79 said:

that's not a seal as such just a channel for the water the seal is the bond between the glass and frame

Thanks I thought that must be the case, but it`s nice to have it confirmed !

• 4 months later...

I tried the sealant idea, but, unfortunately,the leak is still present. So I finally bit the bullet and decided I`d have to have a new windscreen, but, in the event, Bee`s windscreens managed to get the old windscreen off without cracking it. They`d said it was 50/50 if it`d crack. So, assuming the leak is cured, it cost £70 + VAT, rather than £200+ !

• Like 1

I have a suspicion it may not be if you still have a leak after the screen replacement the drain channels on the top of the car may have to come off not an easy task though as the welds are under there so roof lining out and start searching for water trails

Just sorted a leak on my wifes car and after much investigating and head scratching it turned out to be the body panel seam sealer had perished and was allowing water into the car. This was in the boot area on a Fiat Grande Punto but it just highlights another possible cause to be investigated.

I think we`re fairly sure it was the windscreen, as mentioned earlier in the thread I covered the top of the windscreen with waterproof tape for a few months ( ! ) and there was no leak in that time, it only restarted when I removed the tape. Also, the windscreen fitters had a clever way of confirming the windscreen was the cause of the leak. Rather like gas fitters*, they spray the area with soapy water. The windscreen fitter then uses a compressor to direct a powerful jet of air along the top (inside) of the windscreen, and it bubbled away merrily (on the outside), QED.

Actually, when the windscreen was removed there was loads of silicone all along the top/front of the roof where the screen bonds on. It`s obvioudly been a long term problem, at last 4 years (Ive had the car that long and I didn`t put that silicone in there...).

*If you`re checking gas unions they just bubble, assuming the gas is turned on, obviously !

• 2 weeks later...

There is a slightly unfortunate post script to this tale. I discovered the other day that there is in fact a small cack in the windscreen, but it`s right down in the lower passenger side corner, only about two or three inches long, across the corner of the screen in fact. I plan to just leave it because even if it does leak the water may well still end up where it`s supposed to (i.e. outside the cabin), and the crack may not spread anyway. It`s already gone right across the glass and exited the other side, but, fortunately, right down in the bottom corner. You can hardly even see it !