Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk1.5 Build Thread

BaronVonSideburns

So, I have after 2 years decided to upgrade my Mk1.5 Focus to something a bit more fun, more stylish, more comfortable and more 'up to date'.

I want to modify Elsie in a tasteful way, and in no way make it chavy or make it a boy racers car. Unfortunately, I didn't think to start the thread when I started upgrading/modifying her, so I will quickly go over what has been done so far...

Firstly, I decided to fit some LED DRLs to the bottom grill on the front bumper, not only does it make the car look a bit more modern, I have found that people don't pull out or step out in front of me quite as much... Maybe its the placebo effect, but I think it is the lights :)...

post-50136-139422805064_thumb.jpg
Not bad I thought!
After looking through the forums, I found some information regarding footwell lighting built into the Mk1 Facelift models, so I decided to take a look. After having a route around under the dashboard, I managed to find a bulb holder and wiring taped up to the OBD2 wiring loom. I then removed the tape and fitted the plug to the dash. I then found the passenger side bulb holder and positioned it. After looking on eBay, I ordered some of these LED 501 bulbs (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151702370542?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=450974541999&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT). This evening they arrived, and all fitted I think they look mint!
post-50136-0-49542300-1452116505_thumb.j
So far so good, got a few more bits coming over the next few days, so will update when I get everything fitted!

So some more new parts have arrived today!

The centre armrest, LED Projector sidelights and the Team Heko Wind Deflectors. Most of these have been fitted so I will update this with pictures and fittings at the weekend....

Now just waiting for the interior map light bulbs and the ST170 pedals, which should arrive tomorrow or saturday!

So this weekend has allowed me more time to finish putting some more parts on my car!

Firstly, I have fitted a centre armrest to the car... It adds another little cubby to store stuff like my phone charger and things like that, plus it's a perfect fit and really comfortable on the long commutes! The fitting was rather easy, just needed to take out the rubber cup holder and place the armrest base in the hole that remained (its perfectly moulded so was really easy to seat), then I just needed to screw in the self tapping screws and it was done. It has plenty of adjustment and makes such a difference!

post-50136-0-78407900-1452550876_thumb.j

I also fitted the ST170 pedal set... got these for £3 from a scrappy and they looked like they had barely been used. The clutch and brake pedal were easy to fit, just had to pull the old rubber covers off and fit the ST170 ones. The whole throttle pedal had to be removed, and the ST170 is a straight swap. If anything that one is the easiest to change...

post-50136-0-06116900-1452551162_thumb.j

All I have left to fit are the Hekko Wind deflectors and the LED interior and numberplate bulbs, which should be nice and easy! Now thinking of getting some ST170 alloys and some Phillips Extreme headlight bulbs, but I'm not sure whether to go for LED or Xenon sidelights to match the DRLs... The LED ones are okay, they just don't look as good as I thought.

Will have to see!

• 5 months later...

Been a while since I have done any of this...

Recently, I have been trying out some different prospective future cars. However, I have come to the conclusion that my old Focus has still got some life left in her, so I need to make some more upgrades.

I have also been using a few different hire cars and company cars during the last couple of months, and all have one particular feature I really want on my car... DAB radio. The quality and clarity in my area is really good, and it means I can get Radio X without eating into my ever precious data allowance.

The thing I don't like about most DAB retrofits I have seen on this and other forums is the fiddly little antennas which need to be mounted to the windscreen. Not only do they look like they come from the clearance bin at Maplin, they also sound crap as well! I did a little bit of research and found the Autoleads PC6-536 DAB adapter. It uses your existing un-boosted (that's very important) car aerial, and picks up the DAB signals, much the same as the aerials on the sides of houses do.

With that, I decided to order one to get the project rolling.

Next I need to find a new DAB headunit. The one I am swaying towards is the Pioneer DEH-X8700DAB, it has iPhone connectivity via lightning cable, Siri eyes free (which I use a lot), bluetooth connectivity for TWO phones, include a microphone to be fitted to the headlining, steering wheel control connectivity and of course DAB tuning. I did want something with a screen and Apple Car Play, but the price of units with DAB is too far out of my range.

So as soon as I have all the pieces I'll write another update and maybe a brief guide!

Then it's on to finding myself a decent set of cheap ST170 alloys!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club