Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Brake Pedal Goes Hard On Second Push

nickla

Hi,

I've got a Focus Sport TDCI 2006.

It recently developed an issue with the brakes where the pedal goes hard under repeated use.

If I pump the pedal, the first push is ok and applies the brakes as expected, but subsequent pushes are hard, like the servo assist has dissapeared - the brakes still work but considerable force is required to push the pedal. It seems to recover after a few seconds, and I can then repeat the process.

From what I have read it sounds like a vacuum problem, and my local mechanic ran some quick tests and suspects that a new brake servo is required (~£350 for the new part and ~£350 for the labour). But, he also thought there is a chance it is the vacuum pump.

I don't want to spend £700 to fit a servo and find the problem is the pump instead.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Also, I notice that second-hand brake servos are quite common and I can easily source the correct part for my car - is fitting a second-hand servo a good option?

Many thanks,

Nick

In addition to your suspicions - when was the brake fluid last changed ?

• Like 1

when was the brake fluid last changed ?

I'm not sure as I don't have my service history to hand - I've kept up with the service schedule but I don't remeber seeing brake fluid change on the bill recently. I can check later today.

I'm not sure as I don't have my service history to hand - I've kept up with the service schedule but I don't remeber seeing brake fluid change on the bill recently. I can check later today.

Every 2 years is the recommended interval

• Like 1

Could old brake fluid cause the problems I described?

Yes it could.

& so could the issues you have already identified, so whatever the root cause, I'd change the brake fluid for optimal braking efficiency if not changed within the last 2 years.

It's a service item like oil & filters etc & is often overlooked

• Like 2

Brake fluid was done 22 months ago - so it's due a change, but not overdue

disconnect the vacuum hose engine running and see if it has suction on the hose if it does its the servo

Lack of vacuum or the servo. Brake fluid won't cause the pedal to go hard.

• Like 1

The pump is creating vaccum - this has been tested.

I think I will just bite the bullet and get a brand new servo fitted.

While I'm tempted to try a second hand one the labour cost to fit it is quite high (350) so if the part is wrong or no good I'd end up paying at least that again.

i think that's your best bet cant you supply your own parts make it a bit cheeper

• 1 year later...

I have same car and same fault.

what was wrong with your car in the end? I went into ford today and was quoted over £500 for the servo and if it's another £350 for work then it's getting expensive.