Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk3 Leak In Boot.

AJHMIDSUK

Hi everyone,

Looking to see if anyone can help i have a mark 3 ford focus, in the last 8 weeks i have noticed a serious problem with the boot area, rain water is getting in somewhere so much so the last time i checked it had filled the spare wheel compartment to the top and spilled over, i have checked the seals on the boot lid and around the bumper but i cant see anything thats worn or damaged.the arches seem damp around the bottom area but that may be from the splishing around The water runs in from the right hand side and pools in the dips in the Shell, and has also made its way into the rear right hand footwell by running of under the rear seats and under the carpet very worrying ive only had the car 8 months and never expected this if anyone can help or has had this problem i would love to hear from you. Needles to say i have emptied the boot and removed the right side panel and boot linerand laid towels in there which im keeping my eye on twice a day and when it rains any help ide much appreciate it . Thank you. :)

Glad to see ford still haven't fixed the issue since 1998 and various versions of the car I've heard of the mk3 leaking via the rear lights and the vent hole behind the rear bumper that being said that's a lot of water

I'm assuming you cant take it to the dealer under warranty ...to be honest you'll need to strip the rear inside panels to trace the water first the rear boot can leak if not seated correctly if its the same design the boot hinges aren't fully sealed and can leak the rear screen can leak the rear quarter windows the spoiler the rear lights and the air vent in the bumper

I had a leak in my 2012 boot and since finding it my thread has helped a few others. Scroll down the post to the pictures on page 3 and you will find the most probable cause -

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/70704-possible-mk3-boot-leak/page-2

• Like 1

Thanks very much everyone for your posts I've got plenty to look for now I'm going to try tomorow morning hope I stops raining ill let u know how I get on, quite shocked how a modern car can leak so badly only nearly 4 years old , I'm out of warranty i believe but not on mileage its only done 31k had this car from ford dealers 9 months ago and this is the only problem I've had with it so far all is good otherwise , thanks again for your help

Pull the rear quarter cavity bung out underneath the car. If water cascades out then its most likely the vent, as in my thread. The cavity fills up and then the water spills over into the boot.

• 2 weeks later...

Wes thanks very much exactly the same problem you had stripped the bumper of today checked behind the lights but the problem was the cavity was full of rain water behind the vents just like you said amazing pulled the bungs out on both sides and ot wad full of water it was entering the boot area via the rear parking sensor fixing screw holes which are an inch from the bottom I've cleaned the one side out had a right job getting the vents off there's a white plastic thing riveted in just over the corner I may have broke some of the clips off the side vent one seems to be the side vent one that's really wobbly and insecure definatly not seal tight the rear vent doesn't look so bad but I'm getting the silicone tomorow to finish the job any suggestions on removing the vents a better way ill try not to damage the left hand side ones I've left the bungs out until I see it back up but thanks again you led me straight to the problem saved me a trip to the garage

• Like 2

Glad to help! Use my pics as a guide to show where the locking tabs are on the vent so you can get a small straight head driver behind the seal to push the clip down so it will release.

Only one of mine was leaking but i sealed all 4 vents to save any potential future leaks on the other 3.

how common is this now?

I just bought a 2014 focus and I'm now concerned about this........

1 hour ago, yossi said:

how common is this now?

I just bought a 2014 focus and I'm now concerned about this........

Seems to be more than a few with the same problem, definatly something to look out for and keep an eye on apart from this I have a great car and I've been really pleased with it I'm putting a letter to ford they need to know about it although anything to do with seals is only covered for 12 months from new so I doubt they will be bothered much don't let it put you off but I would be mindfull of it if you go to buy one.

it depends these faults have been known on every focus since it came out they started with a leaky v

boot and then more leaks appear theres more silicone on fords than on any other car ill bet leaky boot leaky lights leaky spoilers etc pretty shocking for a problem that fords known about since 1998

1 hour ago, artscot79 said:

it depends these faults have been known on every focus since it came out they started with a leaky v

boot and then more leaks appear theres more silicone on fords than on any other car ill bet leaky boot leaky lights leaky spoilers etc pretty shocking for a problem that fords known about since 1998

I agree totally they should not leak at all, who designs these cars

god only knows but a design fault shouldn't still be there 17 years later if it was the u.s they're recall or fix it free fords been sued so many times over there the latest is dodgy door locks

• 1 month later...

so it's official. I have a Ford Focus Swimming Pool in my boot.

I had a long argument with Ford CRC and eventually they said they will NOT cover this under warranty at all. My car is TWO years old. Today It rained quiet a lot in my area and when I got back to my card I had about 1/2 inch of water inside the spare wheel well.

I feel so discouraged by this. I love my car, it's the best car I've owned. But it's beyond me how can a 2 year old car have such massive water ingress. It's !Removed! new. 

I´m really bad with DIY and I don't feel like removing panels from the back of my car.

sadly its a ford trait more holes than a sieve like I said I wont be buying ford again the warranty I crap in laws 14plate cmax with water ingress so bad the cluster has water in it yet its not covered once they have you're money they don't give a damn.

• 1 year later...

Hi I have 2013 mk 3 focus boot and bk footwells full of rain water 

Been told it' a fault with the ealy modals  who' having the same problem

• 1 year later...

Rain water dripping inside my Ford Focus estate boot mk3

Arrgh.. ! Never imagined a company as big and famous as ford, would make a car prone to water leakages from the roof. I’ve just noticed there is water trickling down the inside of my car boot, on both sides. For Pete's sake, a rain proof cabin is the basic requirement of an automobile these days, how can ford continue to make such shoddy cars ! I wish I had know about this widely common and persistent problem with ford cars, before buying this brand. My car is barely 6 years old, well kept, but all that does not mater if there are such basic flaws in manufacturing quality.! Shame on Ford. We should get together as consumers, to get these people to fix These water leaks or expose them on social media platforms.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2012 Ford focus zetec s and the windows are full of condensation, even after clearing it fully, I go for a drive park up and it's steamed up in minutes, I went back to the place I bought it and they said it was a leak in the boot and they had taken it to a body shop to be repaired I got it back today after they had the car for 2 weeks, the boot is still damp and the windows are still steamed up any advice would be appreciated, I payed 6,400 about 3 months ago and notified them before the 3 months warranty expired also the interior light was flickering and turning on and off randomly on its own due to the damp I think, they seem to have fixed it for now but I just don't feel like they have done anything to stop it happening again and didn't get any invoice to show its actually been to a body shop he said there was a puddle on the floor and that the water had been drained out they seem decent and like they have actually tried to sort it tho but I just want to know where I could take it now to be properly sorted before it starts to affect the electrics again thanks Sean 

• 3 weeks later...

My 64 plate mk3 focus has same issue, due to I'm told air vents behind the rear bumper leaking water into the  boot, resulting in water under the spare wheel and wet carpets in the back. I've just been told by local Ford dealer, this is not uncommon for a Focus of this age. Best part of a grand to have new carpets fitted as they have gone wouldy, along with sound proofing. I wonder if they have fixed

You can do this yourself for next to nothing. You can also take the full carpet out in one piece, and dry out.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club