Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Goodbye Diesel

mjt

We've finally got around to trading in the old 1.8TDCi 115ps Ghia estate and are buying a 1.0 EcoBoost 125ps Titanium estate. It was the first diesel we'd owned and I've found it a very good, reliable, engine with a pretty decent performance and a really nice car to drive but I've decided turbo petrol is now the way to go. I'm just hoping I've made the right choice.

I looked up the new car on Etis and a couple of entries had me puzzled. Maybe one of you gurus can throw some light on it;-

Firstly In the Primary Features list it quotes the paint as Metallic but in the Minor Features list it says "Exterior Paint - Solid". The colour is Ink Blue.

Second, in the Minor Features it says "Less Load Area Cover" (there wasn't one and I've asked for one to be fitted) but further down it says "With Tonneau Cover". Now I know a tonneau cover isn't strictly a load cover (it's defined in the dictionary as a cover for the rear seats of an open touring car) so I'm baffled as to what this means.

Any ideas, Guys?

• Like 1

Hi Mike

If you enjoyed the fuel economy of the tdci then why switch to a petrol engine.

Are you covering less mileage.

My car shows as solid on etis, but it i metallic Deep impact blue.

Etis isnt strictly 100% accurate except for build dates/engine type/ etc etc

Jamie

Ink Blue is definitely metallic, it was the colour of my old Focus Tit X, lovely colour.

As it is the estate you have the retractable cover which rolls up behind the back seats when you don't need it, instead of the hard fixed cover on the hatchback.

Hi Jamie,

It wasn't primarily the economy that drew me to the diesel although that was a bonus. It was the low-down grunt and the kick you get when the turbo kicks in. I found it a very leisurely drive and it was nice to just put my foot down in 5th and surge past the HGVs without having to change down

However I've always regarded diesels as dirty engines and despite all the emission controls that have been bolted on in recent times, with the problems and expense they cause, they are still more injurious to health than petrol. I think there is gathering political momentum towards measures to keep them out of built-up areas and this will result in increasing running costs compared with small turbocharged petrols.

Alex, what you're describing is a load cover. I've seen them on other recent estates that we've looked at and it's almost identical to what we have on the old estate. I wouldn't describe it as a tonneau cover so I really don't know what the Etis listing is referring to.

• Like 1

Ford call the retractable load cover a Tonneau Cover.

If it wasn't in there the previous owner must have removed it.

Ok, well it's not a problem as the dealer has agreed to fit one. It was just curiosity on my part that the Etis listing seemed to contradict itself in those two areas.

I'm glad to have it confirmed that it's metallic paint. I wouldn't say deep blue would be my choice but I'm sure it'll grow on me. :)

The "load cover" on etis is the hard version for the hatchback.

So you have less hatch back load cover but with estate Tonneau Cover.

Of course. It's obvious when you say it. Doh! I wasn't cottoning on to the fact the list covers all variations and models.

Deep blue is a nice colour for most cars tbh, its my first choice, with black coming a close second! They look so good polished up compared to silver/white/light blue where they look the same after a full detail as a quick wash. :lol:

I'll be making the same switch to petrol soon, I'm sure it is the best option nowadays. :)

It's the fact that light colours such as silver only need a quick wash that I find quite attractive. :D

I'm getting too long in the tooth to spend hours cleaning and polishing, it causes too much physical pain. I do like to keep the alloys, tyres, mudflaps and wheelarch liners clean though, even though it kills my back.

aye but dirt only needs to near the car to make a light colour car look a mess!

Actually whilst I remember does anyone else get little strips of dirt and mess appear on the rear doors, just above the arch right on the join where the door meets the body. its a strip about 4 inches long, happens on both sides of the car

Yes, where the door flares as part of the wheelarch always gets it. Seems to be pretty common.

It's the fact that light colours such as silver only need a quick wash that I find quite attractive. :D

I'm getting too long in the tooth to spend hours cleaning and polishing, it causes too much physical pain. I do like to keep the alloys, tyres, mudflaps and wheelarch liners clean though, even though it kills my back.

Ah I see, can't argue with that! Finding the time to do it properly is the usual issue for me, rewarding when it's done though.

I wish Titaniums would come with easier to clean wheels, I hate cleaning multipokes lol.

aye but dirt only needs to near the car to make a light colour car look a mess!

Actually whilst I remember does anyone else get little strips of dirt and mess appear on the rear doors, just above the arch right on the join where the door meets the body. its a strip about 4 inches long, happens on both sides of the car

Yeah I get that too, must be how the airflows I guess!

I know what you mean about the wheels. My Mk2.5 has 5-spoke which look rather utilitarian but are a doddle. The old estate has 12-spoke which look very stylish but are a bit of a pain. The new car (2012 Titanium) has twin-5-spoke which to me don't look particularly special and will also be a pain I suspect.

Hi Jamie,

It wasn't primarily the economy that drew me to the diesel although that was a bonus. It was the low-down grunt and the kick you get when the turbo kicks in. I found it a very leisurely drive and it was nice to just put my foot down in 5th and surge past the HGVs without having to change down

However I've always regarded diesels as dirty engines and despite all the emission controls that have been bolted on in recent times, with the problems and expense they cause, they are still more injurious to health than petrol. I think there is gathering political momentum towards measures to keep them out of built-up areas and this will result in increasing running costs compared with small turbocharged petrols.

Alex, what you're describing is a load cover. I've seen them on other recent estates that we've looked at and it's almost identical to what we have on the old estate. I wouldn't describe it as a tonneau cover so I really don't know what the Etis listing is referring to.

I understand you now :-)

Jamie

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club