Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stop Start Not Working

RachelHenley

Hi, I'm guessing this one has been discussed quite a bit, so apologies if I'm going over old ground, but I haven't found the answer to this specific question - does anyone know if there is an ECU reset or similar in the engine for the SS?

My SS stopped worked a few months ago, having worked all through last winter. Had it checked out and the battery was low on charge - so now got a brand new battery (correct one for SS). SS still not working. I've tried turning off climate control completely, which sometimes stops it kicking in. Engine was warm (my daily commute is 20miles each way), and the outside temperature was reading 5degrees. So as far as I'm aware, there shouldn't be anything stopping it from kicking in.

I know some people don't like it, but I spent quite a bit of time in traffic and find it really useful, and I now object to sitting in traffic with the engine burning my pounds needlessly!!

Just wondering if the garage needed to reset the ECU or anything when they fitted the battery?

the other thing I've noticed is that previously when starting the engine, I had to put my foot on only the clutch to start. Now I have to put my foot on both the clutch and brake to start - not a problem, but just wondered if they're connected as that changed at the same time as the stop-start stopping working...

It is a 2013 Ecoboost 125bhp model...

Many thanks :-)

You probably didn't need a new battery, just to charge it up (long run or a trickle charger would have done). Your new one will do the same if you are not doing the journeys to keep it charged up.

The garage fitting the battery should have reset the battery monitoring - was it a Ford dealer?

You shouldn't have to put your foot on the brake unless its an Auto?

Also you will need to think of something long term, either going on long runs every once in a while, or trickle charging, otherwise you'll have the same problem with your new battery...

• Like 1

Hi, no it wasn't a ford dealer, wouldn't trust them with a barge pole! It is a local independent garage who I've taken my car to for years and trust them... but will give them a call and see if they reset the battery monitoring, as that could be the problem...

Unfortunately, I had the old battery on a trickle charger for 7hrs last Saturday, and it made no difference to the battery - my dad used to be an AA man so tested the battery after charging and it was exactly the same, so I did need a new battery.

I go on long runs regularly - my commute is 20miles each way, once a month I drive 60miles or so down the motorway, and I have friends and family who live anywhere and everywhere but where I live, so I regularly go on runs of an hour or more!

I thought it was odd about putting my foot on the brake, but reading in the manual all it says is 'if the car won't start put your foot on the clutch and the brake'. there is nothing about what it means though if you have to do that, so I'm still none-the-wiser...

I'm surprised you needed a new battery doing adequate journeys on a 2013 car.

Did you buy it new or used? If used maybe the previous owner didn't look after the battery.

Either way, new battery needs the monitoring reset so the car can enable stop start. I know you can do it yourself on the Focus, but I don't know if it is the same method for the Fiesta.

It could well be that once that is reset it won't need the brake pushed.

• Like 1

I bought it used, it was about 15mths old and if I remember rightly had been used as a hire car, so quite possible it wasn't looked after very well...

My dad was also very surprised that I needed a new battery!!

Just spoke to the garage, and no they hadn't reset it and were very apologetic... so back to the garage I go later to hopefully get it sorted finally!

Thanks all :-)

Ah, that's interesting and looks easy to do :-)

Thanks, I'll have a go later...

The procedure will work on fiesta also. Once its reset , it may take a few miles for it to work again , so dont expect it to work straight away.

Correct me if I'm wrong please guys, but as a 2013 motor (same age as mine), Would this sort of thing not be covered by your original manufacturer warranty? I would take it back to a Trust Ford garage.. I will have a chat with my mate, who works for Ford (hence my ownership) and see what he recommends..

• Like 1

No, the battery is a wear and tear item.

You might be able to argue a battery failing in the first 12 months, but not beyond that.

• Like 1

battery wont be covered if its at fault, but if stop start still doesnt work after reset then as long as uts still under3 yesrs old and under 60k then it will be covered if theres afault with stop start system

• Like 1

If I still can't get it working after the reset, then I will take it to a Ford dealer. However the garage I take it to connected the stop start system to the computer (or something), and it was returning no faults... fingers crossed the lack of reset is the current problem!

• 1 year later...

It's the r4 under the bonnet fuse box it sometimes stick

On 12/01/2016 at 9:40 AM, alexp999 said:

If you wanted to reset it yourself, or for anyone else finding this thread, Ian has written up the instructions here:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/68908-10-ecoboost-disbale-stop-start/?p=470356

Try this first.. It worked for me perfectly.. Once the battery was topped up 

I had this problem and it was, eventually, cured by fitting a new battery monitoring module.

I think the stop start system is very critical on battery charge condition.   Took my wife into town last night and dropped her off with a friend to see a show.   The stop start didn't work once.   When I went to collect them later on it worked every time.   In the meantime I had driven about 15 miles which I think had charged the batter enough to make it work again.   Otherwise most of my driving is very short journeys with a cold engine.

When my battery failed at only 15months old I replaced the 60ah efb with a 75ah agm now the stop start works more often and for longer than the efb ever did. My driving is nearly always city with varying traffic levels.

• 3 years later...

I just bought a Jan 2019 Fiesta Mk8 Vignale. The SS doesn't work. I tried the battery monitoring reset sequence, twice, but the battery light didn't flash and it made no difference to the SS. There's no message I can see saying why it doesn't work so unless anyone has any ideas I guess it's a warranty claim via the dealer.

Edited by PhilC601
Spelling errors
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, PhilC601 said:

I just bought a Jan 2019 Fiesta Mk8 Vignale. The SS doesn't work. I tried the battery monitoring reset sequence, twice, but the battery light didn't flash and it made no difference to the SS. There's no message I can see saying why it doesn't work so unless anyone has any ideas I guess it's a warranty claim via the dealer.

Make several long runs. Try an hour drive and then see if it kicks in. The battery will be low on charge and I doubt the dealer will do anything other than tell you the same. 👍🏻

38 minutes ago, PhilC601 said:

unless anyone has any ideas

Put the battery on charge for a full 24 hours. No need to disconnect or remove the battery from the car. Connect the positive lead of the charger to the battery positive terminal. Connect the negative lead of the charger to the earth point on the body - do NOT connect it to the negative of the battery.

After a full charge and a 5 - 10 mile dirive the S/S will begin working again. Expect it will then work for about 4 - 6 weeks and then repeat the process all over again. Unless you do long daily runs without stuff like headlights and heated windows on then you have almost no chance of keeping S/S working.

I have a 2015 fiesta since new, my experience of the StopStart may be of interest to you.  For the first 3-years the SS was erratic, sometimes it would work and then not.    
Then I had an MOT !!   when I drove away from the MOT garage I found that the engine was so quiet, I assumed they adjusted the tickover (if that’s the right term).   However since then the SS has worked almost perfectly. Very rarely it fails to work so I put it on charge overnight, then all’s well again.

18 minutes ago, Ian500 said:

I assumed they adjusted the tickover

Very intresting indeed. I've never know a garage do even a tiny bit of work of any kind if all they are doing is an MOT. Back in the 1970's the 'tick over' could be adjusted with a flat blade screwdriver, now of course you have to do it with a computer. A massive plus of a 1970's car was it easy to work on and when the S/S worked it meant the engine was broke 🤣

I had my MOT done last Monday. I had forgotten to adjust the handbrake. I came back to a pass with the handbrake adjusted. Nothing was said or charged for. The s/s has been 100% reliable since the original battery was fully charged six months ago and I am very happy with it.

A simple solution for Stop Start problems :

AA 12V Solar Powered Panel Car Caravan Battery EOBD Trickle Charger Maintainer

Plug into the OBD  port so no need to open the bonnet eBay @ £25

My Stop Start stopped working during the first lockdown, bough one of these and popped kit on the top of the dash ( has a connector so you can leave the OBD plug attached and just disconnect the solar panel - you disconnect before driving) my Stop Start now works all the time

AA SOLAR battery CHARGER The AA Solar Panel Car & Caravan battery Charger is ideal for vehicles that are only occasionally used, or are only used for short journeys. It extends battery life by keeping the battery in a good state of charge through a trickle charge, topping up a 12V battery.

It's handy size means that it can be left on the car dashboard while the car is not in use. The unit is maintenance free and will protect the battery against the discharge process that occurs naturally within a lead acid battery. Car batteries should to be maintained at 12.4V to ensure sulfation does not occur, the number one cause of flat batteries and battery failure according to the AA Patrols team.

The AA Car Battery Solar-Powered Charger will trickle charge and maintain a 12V vehicle battery whilst the vehicle is parked by converting light energy during daylight hours into 12 volts DC.

The AA Solar Charger is easy to install by plugging directly into the EOBD socket or onto battery with croc clamps and is fitted with a flashing blue LED light to indicate charge. There is built-in discharge protection as well as reverse polarity protection to ensure that the charger will not overcharge your battery. The THINFILM technology allows a wider spectrum of natural light to be absorbed, meaning the unit can still generate electricity under low-light cloudy or winter conditions. This technology also enables the solar panel to handle the intense heat of the summer sun with little power loss due to the rising temperature.

Extends battery life by keeping it in a good state of charge Ideal for cars and caravans only used occasionally or for short journeys Connects to the battery through the EOBD socket Trickle charges a 12V battery while parked Accepts light from all sources both natural and indoor.