Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Focus 1.6Tdci Engine Malfunction

ajmitch51

A few months back, my 10 reg Focus 1.6Tdci went into turbo overdrive, which I had to stop by stalling it.
It was recovered to our local Halfords garage.
They said too much oil in engine had bypassed seals and got into turbo with turbo then running on the oil.
They dismantled the turbo system and cleaned it all out. Replaced filter etc. They had to fit a new CDPF which cost me an arm and a leg. They instructed me on how to drive it to regen the new CDPF, but that didn't work. They took it to the local Ford dealership who did a forced regen.
Having got the car back, I noticed that at low revs in low gears (around 1100 to 1500 rpm in 2nd and 3rd), the engine would hesitate.
I lived with this and the car behaved normally otherwise.
However, just over a week ago, on the way to work, the alarm sounded and a message came up saying "ENGINE MALFUNCTION".
I found that this reset by turning the engine off, but came back after driving again for about 15 or 20 minutes.
Before I had chance to take to the Ford dealership, I had an extra fault arise with the little orange engine symbol lighting up. This didn't go away with restarting the engine, so I took it into the dealership.
They managed to clear the orange engine light then suggested I took it for a drive to see if it was OK, but after about 20 minutes, the "ENGINE MALFUNCTION" message came up again. I took it back to the dealership for them to investigate. That was Tuesday, it's now Friday and they still haven't come up with an answer.

Once a Turbo has started to scavenge the oil out of the sump it needs a new turbo and all the cleaning work done.

The blocked DPF by the sounds of it would certainly cause the oil level to rise due to being contaminated with diesel and probably needed doing anyway but I fear there is more wrong than they have diagnosed.

Secondly Halfords garages are not the best place to have mechanical work done on a car in my opinion, I would not trust them to change a bulb on my car let alone touch anything mechanical.

With the DPF change it also needs the ECU resetting for the new DPF, which we have no idea if they have done this.

It needs investigating with IDS diagnostics and someone who knows what they are doing, it also needs to be figured out whether the rectification work already done is enough or if there is anything else not right.

Sorry to hear of you tale of woe.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, getting on for four weeks in the garage now and they still haven't fixed it.

To recap: September 2015, the turbo went ballistic, (running on oil I was told), but I managed to stall it to stop it. It started ok again afterwards, but I wasn't about to risk a repeat of that.

Recovered to Halfords, who cleaned out the turbo and pipework, fitted new filters and put in a new DPF. They took it to the Ford garage to get the mapping done and DPF regen.

Move on to January 2016 (four months later) and I get an Engine Malfunction warning after about 20 minutes of driving.

This resets when the engine is turned off, but comes back after about 20 minutes again.

Took it into local Ford garage who were unable to diagnose what was wrong.  They were in contact with Ford Technical who were giving them advice, re the various fault codes.  Ford Tech said the fault codes didn't make sense and sent one of their top guys to see it for himself.

I spoke with garage today and was told that the tech had suggested that going back to the original failure, it could be a bent con rod, or twisted camshaft. They also said that one of the injectors was suspect.  However, they also said that it didn't show up on compression test or timing test, which I would expect for either a bent con rod or twisted cam shaft.

Now, this has been ok for almost four months, so how does it suddenly get a bent con rod or twisted cam shaft to cause the fault indication?

Rectification of the first suggestion would not be economically viable.

Based on what what they have told me and my own years of experience of working on my own cars, I would put my money on the injector being the problem.  I really can't see a bent con rod suddenly causing a fault to show up after four months of working ok.  On the other hand, crud from the original problem could have caused a malfuction in one (or more) of the injectors.

What do the experts out there think?

Your right, compression test should confirm bent rod,

What dtcs are coming up now?

get away from Halfords for mechanical repairs, they are liars

I agree, I would start by inspecting your fuel injectors