Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Who Has The Right Of Way?

jmurray01

And by not doing so I would be showing "undue hesitation" wouldn't I?

Almost certainly - Yes

& you would be demonstrating that you're not able to deal with crossroads effectively & quite possibly not ready to take a driving test = I'm not being horrid here Jamie - just stating facts :)

Almost certainly - Yes

& you would be demonstrating that you're not able to deal with crossroads effectively & quite possibly not ready to take a driving test = I'm not being horrid here Jamie - just stating facts :)

Facts is always good, Forewarned is forearmed after all.

Mind you I am hoping to do my class 1 this year, now you have made me realise just how little I can remember now lol

Having said that I have been driving 20+ years so hopefully there is a fair amount I do automatically without realising I am doing it the right way lol

• Like 2

Almost certainly - Yes

I want you to be horrid/state facts Mark, as I'm 100% inexperienced and need to learn to be able to drive and eventually pass my test, so I welcome your help.

At the moment, yes, I would be unable to deal with that. Mainly because having the clutch control to pull out at that junction would be bad enough, let alone "fighting" with another driver to go through first.

I will need to drive for at least 2-3 months before I think of taking my test, that much I know for certain. Hopefully by the end of it I will be up to a standard where I can pass the test, but even then it will still take years before I am 100% confident behind the wheel.

As my mother said to me, she makes it look easy but only because she has been doing it for over 20 years. When I start it will take me a long time to be comfortable taking control of situations like this.

I fear that I may expect too much of myself too soon, but that is the only way I can make myself go out there and do it. If I think of it in a negative way I simply won't try, and then I'll never learn.

• Like 1

if in doubt let the other car pass after all " when the big man made time " he made plenty of it safe driving

I was taught SLR for right of way at a cross roads (for the joining roads opposite each other)

Straight, left, right is the order of right of way.

So straight across has right of way over people turning left or right.

Turning left must give way to those going straight on but have right of way over those turning right.

And then turning right must give way to those going straight or left.

Of course you also have to give way to people on the road you are joining first.

However most others don't seem to know this so it actually ends up just being he who moves first gets right of way, like what you get when everyone arrives at a mini roundabout at the same time, lol.

I was taught SLR for right of way at a cross roads (for the joining roads opposite each other)

Straight, left, right is the order of right of way.

So straight across has right of way over people turning left or right.

Turning left must give way to those going straight on but have right of way over those turning right.

And then turning right must give way to those going straight or left.

Of course you also have to give way to people on the road you are joining first.

However most others don't seem to know this so it actually ends up just being he who moves first gets right of way, like what you get when everyone arrives at a mini roundabout at the same time, lol.

I know what you have said probably makes sense, but to me it is completely confusing!!

I can only hope that once I've been driving for a while I'll know what to do naturally.

I know what you have said probably makes sense, but to me it is completely confusing!!

I can only hope that once I've been driving for a while I'll know what to do naturally.

Just take your time Jamie & have as many professional lessons as you can :)

If you're ever in South Wales let me know :)

& then there are unmarked crossroads . . . . :)

Buy a theory book too Jamie & read it to death & ask someone to quiz you on answers to various questions, starting with the easiest & this way you'll have many answers in your head - ready to put into practice :)

• Like 1

This is a junction I encounter every morning on my way to work, and soon it will be a road that I'll drive rather than my mother, so I'd like to finally clear up a question I've had for a while... Who has the right of way?

My mother lets the other drivers go unless they expressly flash/wave her on, but technically speaking who has the right to drive and who should wait?

Both ways have a give way sign so I'm clueless...

Another major issue here is the use of headlights to '' flash '' someone - the flashing of headlights has only one meaning & that is to warn another road user or pedestrian of your prescence.

Similarly - waving at someone has no meaning.

Both waving & headlamp flashing have been the cause of many a misunderstanding & '' accident ''

With all due respect to your Mother Jamie - she is navigating these crossroads incorrectly in your worded example - as many experienced qualified drivers also do.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club