Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Dash Cam.

blue flash

Chaps, I'm after a dash cam,there are so many on the market right now it's very nearly impossible to pick 1.I'm looking to pay up to £100,anybody have any thoughts.thanks..

Im considering the Nextbase 402g for £119.99. It looks good and the videos are nice and clear on Youtube.

I've currently got the "ELEPHAS A118C Novatek 96650" mounted in mine.

Fan of it so far, a couple of comments from my time with it:

• Whilst it's nice that it doesn't have a battery (uses some kind of capacitor) but when I turn the ignition on I have to wait for the coil light to go off (diesel) so it comes on and starts to record but when I turn the engine over sometimes it does not come back on, no biggie, just hit the power button.
  • I don't have it on HDR mode but sometimes it does some strange exposure's on the sky, I believe this is fixed when you put it on HDR mode.
  • I absolute love how it mounts on the window and how out of the way it is, it's not one of those on a giant sucker mount so it does not get in your way, I have mine hidden just behind the rear view mirror.
  • The "bump detection" stuff is a nice idea but doesn't work all to well in the real world (though saying that I haven't had an actual accident so I can't say if it works with the sensitivity all the way down). It ended up turning on write-protect mode after going over speed bumps a lot of the time.

All in all, good little camera, I mostly got it for the out of the way mounting and the decent video quality.

• Like 1

https://dashcamtalk.com/

The Mini 805 is good, the 806 was good on more recent batches, the first batch had issues

look about, whatever you do, don't buy from a shop in the UK tho, it will be a rebranded Chinese clone and will probably cost a lot less on the internet!

edit

Theres the new 826 as well but ive not read much about that one yet, probably best not to buy cutting edge camera because they are usually full of design flaws!

I would recommend the mobius as a dash cam. I have mine hardwired in to the focus and it has so many options and produces fantastic quality in night and day I find.

I also have a Mobious cam and liked it so much I bought another for the rear window. They are a few years old now but still do the job. It has no screen which may not suite some people but suites me as it means the camera is really small and discrete. And once its set up you tend to almost forget its there. I prefer it not to be too obvious to potential thieves.

Using a MiVue 518 here. GPS & full HD. Tracks your speed and position and shows it on a map when viewed on your PC.

Hi guys,thanks for you comments and suggestions.I have been looking at the Prestigio Roadrunner 545 GPS full hd .£79.99 in argos.Soooooooo many to chose from.Thanks guys.

Their previous cameras were poor compared to other offerings, its just another chines model, personally I don't like screens, they make it larger than it needs to be which may draw unwanted attention and the mounting design will make it wobble slightly and looks terrible.

spend more and get one with parking mode, it will pay for its self if some one reverses in to your car in the carpark

Thanks Dee,never thought of getting one with parking mode.There are so many cameras out there at the moment,it's difficult to JUST PICK ONE, be better to get front and rear i suppose,I'll have to squeeze the funds a bit more lol.Thanks again..

absolutely worth spending more, I spent 200 quid on mine

Front and rear camera, both 1080p, nice and small with bomber mounts to the windows.

Car reversed in to mine in November, Parking mode records and motion plus and minus 10 seconds and any impact or loud noise, again plus and minus 10 seconds.

If your car insurance excess is very high (remember its vol and comp) all it could take is one large-ish accident and the camera will have paid for itself.

Chinese Units tend to be cheaper they 'Can' be amazing but the QC tends to be lacking so you stand a higher chance of getting a dud and they don't tend to have parking mode.

Korean units tend to be more expensive but they also tend to have great QC and more features such as parking mode.

You get what you pay for but that's not to say all Chinese units are crap, some are fantastic and for a great price, its just a little bit more of a lottery getting a great one that doesn't fall to bits, overheat or, as is the most common issue, is out of focus.

• Like 1

absolutely worth spending more, I spent 200 quid on mine

Front and rear camera, both 1080p, nice and small with bomber mounts to the windows.

Car reversed in to mine in November, Parking mode records and motion plus and minus 10 seconds and any impact or loud noise, again plus and minus 10 seconds.

If your car insurance excess is very high (remember its vol and comp) all it could take is one large-ish accident and the camera will have paid for itself.

Chinese Units tend to be cheaper they 'Can' be amazing but the QC tends to be lacking so you stand a higher chance of getting a dud and they don't tend to have parking mode.

Korean units tend to be more expensive but they also tend to have great QC and more features such as parking mode.

You get what you pay for but that's not to say all Chinese units are crap, some are fantastic and for a great price, its just a little bit more of a lottery getting a great one that doesn't fall to bits, overheat or, as is the most common issue, is out of focus.

Which cameras do you have Darren ? - as I'm interested too

Thanx

I have a Thinkware F750 dual camera

http://www.thinkware.com/Products/Dashcam/F750

It has a couple of issues, firstly the rear camera has a blue LED on it to show its powered up, its BRIGHT, and draws unwanted attention in parking mode, I stuck a little black sticky circle over it to cover it up.

Second issue is the software used to play back the video. Now, it will playback in WMP or VNC or most other media playing software but their own software isn't quite as refined as I would like but its work in progress and is getting better with each update.

it has speed camera alerts which can be extremely annoying if your driving through an average speed zone as she doesn't shut up, the collision detection I don't use on principle, if you cant tell your too close to a car you shouldn't be driving. the lane warning is kinda cool if your driving a long distance where you might nod off, but again, if your a good driver you shouldn't really relying on these things.

ill post some videos soon, Being from Scotland its probably going to be raining so less than ideal but hayho!

• Like 2

This is at night, 300 miles in to a trip so the windows are a little dirty, its got a good mix between different lighting, keep in mind, at night you will be lucky to see any signs at all, the reflective nature of them is all but impossible for our cameras to pickout the letters, the cameras Police cars use have significantly larger optics which improves the image quality

This one is my wee accident, its in parking mode so FPS is reduced to 15 and bitrate is half what normal running is

I don't have a day time running video to hand so ill get you that when I can, also keep in mind youtube compresses the videos even more so the quality is always less than it really is

• Like 2

The '' accident '' footage is good evidence - shocking driving - more like bumper cars :(

• Like 1

This is at night, 300 miles in to a trip so the windows are a little dirty, its got a good mix between different lighting, keep in mind, at night you will be lucky to see any signs at all, the reflective nature of them is all but impossible for our cameras to pickout the letters, the cameras Police cars use have significantly larger optics which improves the image quality

This one is my wee accident, its in parking mode so FPS is reduced to 15 and bitrate is half what normal running is

I don't have a day time running video to hand so ill get you that when I can, also keep in mind youtube compresses the videos even more so the quality is always less than it really is

Thank you Darren - very interesting.

Heres a wee Dusk video

Impressive.

Do you think this camera will work ok with rear viewing through Ford's privacy glass - which is / looks almost limo black on my Mondeo ?

that I don't know, the camera wont see any more than you do, I suspect during the day it will be ok tho, might need to bump up the EV setting a couple of notches, the problem will be at night

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgRHzrUPMw0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJGf_nPAFGo

Just watched this Darren , can't believe what i saw lol! Did they hitbit twice or is that the way you edited it?

Also parkmode is good on that camera I use the motion sensor setting on the mobius which picks up movement when my car is parked and it started recording. Thought I would just metion that for those looking at cameras. At some point I plan on rigging another one for the rear window. I would not have a car now without some kind of dashcam installed because you just never know. Lol!

• Like 1

I highly recommend the Street Guardian SG9665GC, fitted it last weekend and finished hard wiring it this weekend just gone. It's very discrete:

post-17010-0-22886900-1453127985_thumb.j

This is the only footage I have from it at the moment it was a really rainy day, I need to upload some more in different conditions...

• Like 3

Discrete next to that rear view mirror! !Removed! hell that's massive, I know itll have the sensors and what not in there but damn, that's much larger than the MK2 mirror. The SG camera have a good reputation as well, the way in which it fixes to the window is similar to mine which results in a shake free video.

The carpark accident was two separate videos, I only saw the first one originally and just assumed that the other one was a duplicate, but it is different, the first one broke my front bumper, the second one took out the NS wing

I would recommend the mobius as a dash cam. I have mine hardwired in to the focus and it has so many options and produces fantastic quality in night and day I find.

I can only agree, Mobius was the way for me too. It's cheap, easy to set up, and looks discrete. The only thing I did with it, that I changed the battery in it to a super capacitor as it handles the fact that the device is always being charged, much better.

@Sonic113, may I ask, what did you use to hardwire it? Do you have a link perhaps? - Thanks!

• Like 1