Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speedometer And The Mot

L666JER

Quick question, does the speedo need to work for the MOT?

Picked up another zetec s yesterday and the speedo is not working, done a google search and getting conflicting answers.

Cheers, James

Try calling them. They'll answer that question for you. You can also check here - https://www.gov.uk/topic/mot/manuals . As far as I know, in 2012, working speedo was a requirement. It's quite easy to miss on the MOT though.

The manuals say:

Speedometer incomplete, clearly inoperative or
the dial glass broken or missing.

• Like 1

Ah right, I'll give them a call before i take it in. Just don't want to be fixing things that potentially don't need doing until I know the car is sound.

Clearly inoperative is the key word, for mot purposes there is no roadtest so no way of knowing wether speedo works or not

from what I was told last year , it does not need to work

Yeah I did wonder how they would go about testing it. Obviously I will fix it before it goes on the road, just don't want to be in a rush to do it that's all. I'll see what they say

Clearly inoperative is the key word, for mot purposes there is no roadtest so no way of knowing wether speedo works or not

While he's testing the brakes he can see that the speedo is not working. Unlikely, but possible :)

• Like 1

While he's testing the brakes he can see that the speedo is not working. Unlikely, but possible :)

Not likely, the brake rollers dont go fast enough to register speedo

Anyone know of any common issues with it. If it's an easy fix I'll look into it now.

I did have a car, years ago, where the speedo wasn't working, and it did get through the MoT, although it probably shouldn't have. If you were paying attention, you probably could see that when it was on the brake rollers, but that probably depends on how conscientious the inspector feels on the day.

In my case, it was the drive cable that would have needed replacing, but would have been a real pain. Don't know whether that's a likely cause on yours.

I did have a car, years ago, where the speedo wasn't working, and it did get through the MoT, although it probably shouldn't have. If you were paying attention, you probably could see that when it was on the brake rollers, but that probably depends on how conscientious the inspector feels on the day.

In my case, it was the drive cable that would have needed replacing, but would have been a real pain. Don't know whether that's a likely cause on yours.

The mk5 fiesta's don't have a cable as they're electronic. Makes it more complicated!

It could be the speed sensor in the gearbox :)

I'll have a look at that, gearbox is coming out anyway as the clutch has gone

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club