Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diesel Injectors, Clean Or Replacement Needed? Or Something Else Perhaps.

Kyorin

I've been quite unlucky with my Mondeo 1.8TDCi 2008, only had it a year and in that time I've had to get the DMF/Clutch replaced, and I also broke down in France due to an injector failure. The symptoms I have now lead me to think that another injector is on the way out. Very occasionally, the engine loses power for less than a second (but it's totally noticeable). It doesn't do this often, but I guess this is only going to get worse. Also, when the weather is very cold, it doesn't start on the first attempt, I wait for the glowplug light to go out, it tries to start and fails, then the glowplug light comes back on for quite a long time, but when it goes out, the engine starts fine second time around.

Also, if I accelerate a little hard in second gear, I get a noticeable puff of smoke from the exhaust, is this likely related?

Two questions really...

1. Are these symptoms typical signs of an imminent injector failure?

2. Is this something that may possibly be resolved if I get them cleaned?

There is a company called injectortune which seem to have positive feedback, but I don't want to throw money at having them cleaned if ultimately they need to be replaced.

I would appreciate any comments you may have on this. I am not a mechanic, but have learnt quite a bit about what can go wrong diesel engines over the last 12 months :(

Thanks in advance.

I think it's more grey than blue, in the glare of headlights from behind at night it looks bluer, but I'm pretty sure it's grey in regular daylight.

Never mind, had enough of it and traded it in for a new 2009 2.0 Titanium model with just 29k on the clock. A much nicer car all round. Only issue I have with this is that there is a switch that I don't know what it's for. It's in the compartment below the ashtray (in front of the gear stick). Any ideas? Also there is short beep when it's moved from one position to the other. Can't find anything in the manual.

8 minutes ago, Kyorin said:

Never mind, had enough of it and traded it in for a new 2009 2.0 Titanium model with just 29k on the clock. A much nicer car all round. Only issue I have with this is that there is a switch that I don't know what it's for. It's in the compartment below the ashtray (in front of the gear stick). Any ideas? Also there is short beep when it's moved from one position to the other. Can't find anything in the manual.

A picture may help us identify it

Will upload a picture when I get home in a bit.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Kyorin said:

Here you go...

mondy switch.jpg

Looks aftermarket to me - mine doesn't have that

There is a standard sounding beep when switched though i.e. the same as the sound when reverse gear is engaged...

Has the car got aftermarket reversing sensors ?

It's got them, but I don't know if they are after-market. I'll try the switch and get back to you a few minutes.

It's got them, but I don't know if they are after-market. I'll try the switch and get back to you a few minutes.

Maybe it's an on / off switch for the reversing sensors ?

Think it's a case of trial & error then, as it looks like the previous owner installed it to do something

Previous owner was a lady... I'd be surprised if she had anything done. I have no way of contacting her in any case. As you say, it might become apparent at some point, nothing changes on the Convers+ display when activated or deactivated - don't actually know which way is which with the switch :(

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Previous owner was a lady... I'd be surprised if she had anything done. I have no way of contacting her in any case. As you say, it might become apparent at some point, nothing changes on the Convers+ display when activated or deactivated - don't actually know which way is which with the switch :(

Thanks for the suggestions though.

You're welcome - it just doesn't look OEM to me - so that's why i think it's been put in at some point - let us know what it does when you find out ! :smile:

Have you got front parking sensors, they are normaly switch operated rather than the rears which use the reverse light switch

• Like 1

I'm not sure if I have front sensors - still learning, though I think I have most things sorted now. I'll take a look later and let you know what I find.

Also, the Sony 6CD MP3 head unit, does it support music streaming over bluetooth or just calls? My phone paired ok with it, but only for voice it would seem, and not for streaming audio.

Just spoken to the dealer, and this odd switch is indeed for the front parking sensors, haven't had a chance to prove it yet, but I have no reason to doubt them.

For those who have replied to my queries, thank you very much.

Just the bluetooth streaming to the radio now... I suspect it can't do it, but as it'll play MP3's from a CD, it's not really an issue. It'll do voice over bluetooth for hands-free calls which is all I really need.

I personally wired aftermarket sensors in, tied the reverse to the light, and the fronts to the brake lights. So as I drive forward on biting the clutch, the sensors come on. They also come on when I am in a queue of traffic, so if I am not paying full attention, and end up creeping forward, or the car in front rolls back, I am warned of it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club