Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ELM config help

wilto

Hi guys I purchased a new ELM adaptor from "tunnel rat electronics" and im having trouble running elmconfig.

I have downloaded various drivers and elmconfig 0.2.10. I can get the program to load on my laptop, these are what I'm seeing

Driver: (v)cp   checked.   FTDI D2xx unchecked

Port: COM3

Speed: auto

Connection: Focus ll / C-max /Kuga

When I click "open port" it runs through the different speeds, and then I get a big blue box with an ELMConfig error box inside that saying... "Run-time error '383':  'Text' property is read- only.. When I click OK the program closes

I have also tried checking the FTDI D2XX driver, but I get the error message saying " Can't communicate with FTDI:

No FTDI devices found" so I'm guessing it not that chipset in the adaptor.

What am I doing wrong guys, laptop is my sons running windows 8.1

1453552533249179866216.jpg

1453552584402-1013269204.jpg

Lol...that picture is so fuzzy I can't rear any of it!  Sounds like you've got everything right though.  Have you tried other USB ports, both physically and changing it in the program?

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Lol...that picture is so fuzzy I can't rear any of it!  Sounds like you've got everything right though.  Have you tried other USB ports, both physically and changing it in the program?

Sorry tom for the crap photo's yeah I've tried the other ports but still the same.

Hmm ok, there is a newer version out now, 0.2.15 which I have, so maybe try dowloading that one?

Also do you know how to get into device manager?  If so, have a look for the cable and see if it says it's 'working properly'.  I had an issue with mine originally where I'd managed to download the wrong drivers, there was a yellow warning triangle over it in device manager.

firstly, did you install the RuntimePack?

secondly, did you copy ELMConfig to a user area such as your desktop or my documents?

Ive attached the runtimepack file to this post.

RuntimePack.exe

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Hmm ok, there is a newer version out now, 0.2.15 which I have, so maybe try dowloading that one?

Also do you know how to get into device manager?  If so, have a look for the cable and see if it says it's 'working properly'.  I had an issue with mine originally where I'd managed to download the wrong drivers, there was a yellow warning triangle over it in device manager.

Hi tom, ive been into my device manager and its saying its working correctly, have you got a link for the newest version,as when im clicking on civills web link its saying webpage not available

53 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

firstly, did you install the RuntimePack?

secondly, did you copy ELMConfig to a user area such as your desktop or my documents?

Ive attached the runtimepack file to this post.

RuntimePack.exe

Cheers Dar' ive downloaded it again from your link, but its still the same. I also downloaded Forscan to see if that would work and it connects to my car no problem

That's odd, ok, if at first it doesn't work, delete it all and redownload it.  Then extract it to your Downloads folder or ever better a USB stick, Run both the Runtimepack and ELM config as admin

are you using window 10 by any chance? Internet explorer 11 and edge for that matter seem to have issues accessing the elmconfig website, I hate to say this but you might be worth installing chrome, ill get to the bottom of why it does it one day but for now just use chrome

1 hour ago, Dee_82 said:

That's odd, ok, if at first it doesn't work, delete it all and redownload it.  Then extract it to your Downloads folder or ever better a USB stick, Run both the Runtimepack and ELM config as admin

are you using window 10 by any chance? Internet explorer 11 and edge for that matter seem to have issues accessing the elmconfig website, I hate to say this but you might be worth installing chrome, ill get to the bottom of why it does it one day but for now just use chrome

YES cheers Dar, got it running after downloading Chrome, tied it quickly in the car managed to read,save and write the GEM but as soon as I tried the PCM after switching switch, when I clicked read PCM it came back with all N/A values, also when I clicked on something ( cant remember what now ) it gave me an error message saying "can error" battery is running low on laptop now so will have a go tomorrow, I think I need to read all the procedures I need to activate cruise before I continue tomorrow, in case im doing something wrong, thanks again buddy ,nice one

Glad you've finally got it working! :)

It is a bit temperamantal sometimes, just have to give it time...and make sure the switch is in the right place lol.  With the PCM, I think you may need to select your engine from the dropdown box before it'll show values, but that might be the other PCM page. 

I had this problem myself, never did find a solution, I ended up doing a full clean install on my laptop and it has worked faultlessly since then. I assume the error is down to a windows issue on the laptop you are using like mine was. Rather then spend go knows how long trying to find out what it was and fixing it I just did a full fresh install. My laptop was purely for the diagnostics side though, since then I bought a windows tablet and run all my diagnostics on that including my IDS via a Virtual machine in Virtualbox now.

Cheers Tom, I'll give it another bash tomorrow, hopefully someone will be online to hold my hand lol

Aaaahhhhhhh, next problem, when reading the PCM it comes up with another error.. File frw.DAT is missing and getting N/A value's on firmware number and module type. Any ideas guys, I've successfully done the GEM module and the HEC module. HELP 

Sorry for the crap photo's

1453634119434-2117558689.jpg

14536341551431922262858.jpg

Honestly what are you taking those pics with!? :lol:  

Ignore the first page and go straight to the one with 'speed control' on it.  Choose your engine from the dropdown box and then click 'read from PCM'.  Hopefully that should work.

Edit - What is that ignition voltage?  Looks like 11 something?  If so, get the battery charged before touching the PCM. 

The frw.DAT file needs to be in the same folder as the ELMconfig EXE file. If not or the program is started from within a zip or rar file you will get the frw.DAT missing message.

N/A means that the ELMconfig program does not recognise the hardware/software version of the PCM. This can be because the PCM has an unknown hardware/software version or because you selected the wrong PCM type.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Honestly what are you taking those pics with!? :lol:  

Ignore the first page and go straight to the one with 'speed control' on it.  Choose your engine from the dropdown box and then click 'read from PCM'.  Hopefully that should work.

Edit - What is that ignition voltage?  Looks like 11 something?  If so, get the battery charged before touching the PCM. 

Sorry tom, its my crappy phone, I've got 12.315v at ignition now and it still the same I've also tried the drop down box on on the configuration screen, two PCM type's listed for my car but still the same on both types

Hmm, ok.  I'm not really sure what to try next without physically being there. 

I would trust JW is right about the files and folders thing, have you 'unzipped' the files?  And they're all together in the same folder?  I'm not a computer expert but I think that's what he means.

Started an older version of elmconfig and its now reading the firmware, but iv got engine malfunction on my display, is this normal, when it's finished do I click load firmware from file

No, 'load from file' would be taking an updated firmware from the laptop and putting that on the PCM.  If you're just activating cruise, go to the page with intergrated speed control, choose your engine, read and save that page, tick the 'speed control' box and then 'write to PCM'. 

Thats how I do it anyway, I have read that other people save the firmware first but I don't find it necessarty.

55 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

No, 'load from file' would be taking an updated firmware from the laptop and putting that on the PCM.  If you're just activating cruise, go to the page with intergrated speed control, choose your engine, read and save that page, tick the 'speed control' box and then 'write to PCM'. 

Thats how I do it anyway, I have read that other people save the firmware first but I don't find it necessarty.

Cheers Tom, I'm now reading the firmware again on page2 of procedures, so after that I go to configuration and tick integrated speed control read and save and then write

OK this is where I'm at, have done a fresh download of elmconfig, and this time it's showing my PCM module number whereas the last download I was having a N/A value in that box.

Also the reading of the PCM is a hell of a lot slower than last time (took just 15 mins previously) now only on 3500 of 16384 after about 20 minutes, so fingers crossed it will work this time.

OK failed at the finalhurdle, after reading firmwear from PCM took 80 minutes then loaded firmware from phf/hex/bin file

Selected no to warning about a non empty vid block

Clicked on configuration ticked box for integrated speed control

Clicked on procedures again switched ign off, switched it back on

Then wrote current firmware to PCM, this took about 20 minutes

Then configuration, then clicked read from PCM, it was at this point I got an error message saying no empty vid block in this file, or something like that.

I then tried to put I back to square one and can't find how to do it, I now have a transmission light and a car skidding light on my dash, it seems to drive OK though. Also when I try to read the vin at the top I get a load of funny looking letter R's. Any ideas lads

The VID-block is basically the firmware part which contains all configuration data. A non empty VID block means that the firmware you are trying to load already has a VID block included.

To activate Cruise Control you have to load a modified version (integrated speed control function activated) of your original VID block to the PCM. On some PCM types the VID block and the firmware file needs to be loaded into the PCM at the same time.

I expect your problems are caused by a corrupted VID block or a corrupted firmware file. reloading both the VID block and the firmware file should solve this.

80 minutes to read or write the PCM firmware seems very long to me. I use a modified ELM327 interface myself with the FTDI chipset. At a Baudrate of 500.000 Kbps reading or writing the firmware did never take me longer than 10 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club