Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Considering a MK3 Focus (First Ford)

Brydo666

I am considering a MK3 (2012) Focus Titanium 1.6 PowerShift. One for sale locally in Mars Red with very low miles that I really like the look of.

Is there anything major that I should look for when buying this car, considering it has no warranty?

What are the major benefits of the Titanium? I was disappointed to see it didn't include Xenon Headlamps or Keyless Entry. It boasts a Sony sound system - is this a big improvement over the system fitted to lesser spec models?

This'll be my first Ford, coming from a 2014 BMW 1-Series.

Seems a down grade in what you currently have

Avoid the power shift versions, known issues, poor gearchange.

I bought my 1.6 Mk3 focus titanium back in March & love it (not a powershift).

If you know the reg of the car you've seen then try the "Ford ETIS" website, this will give you full details on the build/options.

powershift has issues as well as expensive gearbox oil changes no warranty I wouldn't touch it they also suffer leaks

The posts regarding the powershift box that I've read on this forum have really put me off buying this car, a shame too as it was going to be my first auto in 15 years of driving.

A popular model available is the 1.0 EcoBoost but having come from years of 2.0 Turbo's and more recently a 1.6 Turbo I'm not sure about this. Is the 1.0 block comparable to the 1.6 N/A block?

Why do you want an auto anyway?

Yes the 1.0 Ecoboost is a replacement for the old 1.6 N/A.

Try a 1.0 ecoboost 125 focus manual , you will be supprised.

the early powershift versions (2011-2013) should be avoided... although Ford has extended the warranty on the transmission components.

However 2014 versions on seem a lot more reliable. My 2014 focus has 29500 miles on the clock and has not had any transmission issues. I've driven another 2014 focus with 34k miles and again no issues. 

Not saying they fixed the issues, but they do seem a lot more reliable now.

8 hours ago, chrisroberson99 said:

Why do you want an auto anyway?

Yes the 1.0 Ecoboost is a replacement for the old 1.6 N/A.

I'd put it the other way around, why would anyone want to drive a manual after having an auto?

• Like 2

all ford powershift gearboxes require the oil change and needs to be done every 37k or 3 years that's on top of the service costs its between 190 to 280 quid on top of youre annual service ford fail to mention this when they sell you the car strangely enough don't get it done wait to see how long the gearbox lasts

all ford powershift gearboxes require the oil change and needs to be done every 37k or 3 years that's on top of the service costs its between 190 to 280 quid on top of youre annual service ford fail to mention this when they sell you the car strangely enough don't get it done wait to see how long the gearbox lasts

Im led to believe thats only the 450 box and not the 250 box fitted to the 1.6 petrol focus

10 minutes ago, iantt said:

Im led to believe thats only the 450 box and not the 250 box fitted to the 1.6 petrol focus

so is the 250 the dry clutch and the 450 the wet clutch?

which one is the one prone to failures?

any way to know for sure which one does my car have? I only have a generic "  6 Speed Auto Transmission DPS6" on ETIS.

250 is dry and marries to the 1.6 petrol. That's the one with the issues normally,

wet clutch version is "ok" from what i've heard.

wouldn't touch a dry clutch.

I'm sure there'll be a ton of technical reasons but.. can't they just swap the dry clutch with a wet system and be done with all the problems????

wet clutches have just as many issues http://www.caradvice.com.au/321473/ford-fiesta-focus-ecosport-warrantie%20%20%20tended-over-dual-clutch-transmission-shudder/

the dry clutch is limited to how much power it can take before excessive heat starts killing it Honda recalled 80k cars because of issues as did fiat and vw has had a lit of dsg issues as well if you have a wet clutch have it serviced when you should

Thanks everyone for the replies - this has been helpful.

The thought of driving a 1.0 car again seems strange but when I see they are using the same engine in the Mondeo now it makes me think it must be reasonable. About 80% of my driving is <40MPH in town traffic. The BMW is great when I need to blast down the motorway but it's rare - I'm getting a good trade price for the BMW and see the Focus as a way of getting a decent car with more equipment for a saving of over £100/month - and I'll own it after 3 years.

I'm going to test drive a 1.0 EcoBoost 125 tonight to see how it performs - this will include a motorway run.

Quick question, in some photos of similar cars (Age/Trim/Etc) the screen in the instrument cluster sometimes looks good (High DPI, colourful) and sometimes black with a green/blue writing. What makes this change from car to car - is it worth getting one with the nicer screen?

buy the Kia ceed nicer car better built better warranty better customer service and after the 3 years you've still got 4 years warranty left and way more equipment as standard even has heated front windscreen now

I have gone from a 2.2 180bhp diesel turbo to a 1.0 125bhp ecoboost zetec s. First Ford in over 30 years and I love it !

DSC_0576.JPG

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I started this post a while back but wanted to give you an update.

I didn't buy a Focus and went for an Altea 1.6 TDI with the DSG box. Car has been great but didn't get on with the driving position. Wanted to look at a Focus again this time a diesel model (Forgot how much I prefer diesels) and having had a taste of the auto box looking for a manual car.

So last night I bought a 64 Plate Titanium Navigator 1.6 TDCi. Still has a year of warranty, mint inside and out.

It looks to have privacy glass and keyless entry which some other Titanium's didn't. From what I can see it's an outstanding spec car.

On 25/01/2016 at 0:59 PM, Brydo666 said:

About 80% of my driving is <40MPH in town traffic

In view of this I think you're making a mistake buying a diesel. That mix of driving is not really suited to one. You won't get the mpg that is acheivable from long extra-urban journeys and aside from the DPF regeneration issues diesels are likely to be penalised in future by higher charges for driving in urban areas due to high NOX levels. When I changed our Mk1.5 1.8TDCi I opted to return to petrol because I could see the way things are going.

Of course that's just my personal opinion, others will disagree.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club