Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk6 wishbone removal

vinpetrol

Can anyone tell me how I can remove a wisbone.

i can't figure out the rear corner of it . It has a bolt connecting it through the wishbone with a nut I can't get at the nut on top of it above the subframe. Do I need to remove the sub frame or can I just loosen the subframe to get enough room to get at the nut.? 

Im having a nightmare stripping this down to take the gearbox out , every nut and bolt seem to be fighting with me:angry:

im only removing the wishbone because I can't get the lower ball joint pinchbolt out to allow me to pull the half shafts:angry: I've had to cut the bolt off flush as I bent it trying to hammer it out . Now I can't move it at all. 

Anyway any advice with the wishbone greatly appreciated

cheers Vin

If you mean the rear bush with 2 bolts holding it in place, im sure they are captive nuts and wont turn, just undo the bolts

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iantt said:

If you mean the rear bush with 2 bolts holding it in place, im sure they are captive nuts and wont turn, just undo the bolts

Hi Ian it is the rear bush , but it looks like it has three fixing points the 2 smaller ones with captive nuts and 1 larger , that passes up through the subframe

Isnt the larger bolt got captive nut also? Can you see a nut and does it turn when you turn bolt

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, iantt said:

5 minutes ago, iantt said:

Isnt the larger bolt got captive nut also? Can you see a nut and does it turn when you turn bolt

image.jpeg

The nut isn't captive and is turning

Thats a strange one then, been a while since ive done a fiesta wishbone, ive not dropped subframe when ive done them. If I see one tommorow I will have a look , so I know your issue. As for the stuck pinch bolt, as you have cut it flush, you need to smash it out with a subtantial punch and hammer, does the bolt turn at all with a torx bit socket?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iantt said:

Thats a strange one then, been a while since ive done a fiesta wishbone, ive not dropped subframe when ive done them. If I see one tommorow I will have a look , so I know your issue. As for the stuck pinch bolt, as you have cut it flush, you need to smash it out with a subtantial punch and hammer, does the bolt turn at all with a torx bit socket?

No , I can't get any movement at all. I was going to take the calliper off its hanger and then remove the whole strutt and try opening the joint out with a big chisel.

Maybe the big bolt should have a captive nut but the welds could of broken? 

Do you know is it difficult to get subframe off?

• Like 1

u dont need to lower sub frame  if u cant get the front bolt of like i couldn't  i just grinded the bolt off jack the balljoint end up so the antirollbar goes up then hammer out the bolt then shouldn't hit antirollbar then buy a new bolt  as long as all bolts are out its quite straight forward 

also buy some plusgas  its like WD40 but better 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scotty729 said:

u dont need to lower sub frame  if u cant get the front bolt of like i couldn't  i just grinded the bolt off jack the balljoint end up so the antirollbar goes up then hammer out the bolt then shouldn't hit antirollbar then buy a new bolt  as long as all bolts are out its quite straight forward 

Cheers for that Scotty , I will have a go as soon as it stops raining.! 

I have some stuff called deblock that is usually very good but will give the plusgas a go

vin

• Like 1

15 hours ago, vinpetrol said:

Cheers for that Scotty , I will have a go as soon as it stops raining.! 

I have some stuff called deblock that is usually very good but will give the plusgas a go

vin

Have a look on YouTube 4 parts u don't need 1st part ad u have balljoint on this will help a little 

On 26 January 2016 at 4:17 PM, scotty729 said:

Scotty how did you tighten up the new bolt when you were putting the wishbone back in ? 

image.thumb.jpeg.165b577978fcd56435a9289

For some reason this pic has loaded rotated through 90 degrees. If you turn it to the right it makes sense. You can see the nut in question in the hole over the top of the wishbone bush.

in the pic below you can see the loose bolt .

if I grind it off as Scotty suggests in his post above I don't know how I can get the new nut and bolt tightened.

any ideas?

image.thumb.jpeg.909eb6db955dd9985075eaf

Did you manage to sort it out in the end? That nut should definitely have been captive, you were unlucky that it turned.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club