Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Throttle Body Clean

Richard2k84

Hi

Currently having issue with my Focus 1.6 zetec (2012 petrol) randomly stalling. I am want to take the throttle body out to give it a good clean. My question really is as it is a Electronic Throttle Body, is there anything I need to know when removing it. i.e am I OK to open the butterfly to give it a clean? or will this mess up the internals. Do i need to reset the throttle position sensor after cleaning?

Cheers
Rich

Hi Rich

i'd get the fault codes read first to see if anything shows up. if you have a smart phone then you can purchase a bluetooth obd2 reader off eBay for a few quid and use the torque app or purchase a handheld obd2 reader for a several quid.

has the car been recently serviced? I'm thinking off possible air in the fuel lines when the fuel filter was changed.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2016 at 3:16 PM, Richard2k84 said:

Hi

Currently having issue with my Focus 1.6 zetec (2012 petrol) randomly stalling. I am want to take the throttle body out to give it a good clean. My question really is as it is a Electronic Throttle Body, is there anything I need to know when removing it. i.e am I OK to open the butterfly to give it a clean? or will this mess up the internals. Do i need to reset the throttle position sensor after cleaning?

Cheers
Rich

Rich I cleaned my throttle body on my 09 1,6 zetec model. Very easy to do to be honest. I did it in a few steps and took my time just to make sure all was ok.

I agree with sal though first check for any codes as its the easiest thing to do. I am not sure about the fuel filter though as my model its built into the pump itself so its what ford call "Lifetime Filter" Meaning it cant be changed at services but your MK3 model they may have a changeable one some one else could maybe confirm that.

From the top of my head (Its been a while since I did mine lol!).

1) Turn engine off remove the key, unplug the throttle body wiring.

2) remove the Air intake pipe from top of throttle body housing and at the air box end. (May be a bit different on your model)

3) Remove the 4 torx bolts from throttle body. Remove throttle body. Mine had a small rubber gasket that I cleaned and reused, I think most have these but some models may not so be careful when removing it , a very light tap should release it if its well secured. 

4) I inserted a small piece of wood in wrapped in a cloth to keep butterfly valve open so I could clean around the inside of the throttle body ect. I just used a soft cloth soaked in wd40 then another soaked in petrol then a dry one for a final wipe down and then left all for a few minuted to fully dry. Try not to scratch the inside of the body as I think its best to keep it as smooth and clean as possible.

5) To reinstall you just do the complete reverse and leave the wiring plug to last.

6) The bit I did read up on was you have to kind of reset the throttle body with the ecu. Again from the top of my head it was very easy the steps where just reconnect the throttle wiring and then pop the key in but don't start the car. Put the ignition on and leave it for about I think 30 seconds or so and then turn it off and wait for another 20 seconds or so and that's it. You can hear the throttle resetting during anyway.

Those times may be a bit more than stated but as I say its from the top of my head If you need more info I can look into it but its pretty straight forward.

Hope this helps.

I have done what Sal said and connected the OBD2 port to my tablet and used the Torque app (very good app by the way) and no error codes have been stored. So I am assuming this is a good sign.

Thanks for the break down of what to do. I have done this before on a older car but it was connect via a cable and not electronic, so was usure if any extra steps were needed. Just need to wait for a dry day now to give it a go. 

Thanks for your help guys

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club