Do Not Sell My Personal Information

new key for focus

bunter12345

Hi there,

I need a new key made up for my Ford Focus and asked my local dealer for a flip style one, they tell me that I can't have this type of key for my car due to its version or model or something, is this likely to be true for any technical reason?

My car is a 2006 (56) Ford Focus Sport 5Dr, 1.8 TDCi Duratorq

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Hi there,

I need a new key made up for my Ford Focus and asked my local dealer for a flip style one, they tell me that I can't have this type of key for my car due to its version or model or something, is this likely to be true for any technical reason?

Regards

Hi

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there,

Regards

Hi, they make the key for the Ghia and Titanium models.

they are simply a coded key so there is no problem in supplying one to suit your sport.

the only thing will be the cost. with parts and all keys and car re coded your going to be looking at about 200 quid.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, they make the key for the Ghia and Titanium models.

they are simply a coded key so there is no problem in supplying one to suit your sport.

the only thing will be the cost. with parts and all keys and car re coded your going to be looking at about 200 quid.

Mostly RUBBISH It can be done DIY I've done it total cost £45

Yes you can have the Flip key on Laser cut (flat blade) or chubb style keys see bottom for early Focus or fiesta or Ka

the cheapest solution done on my wifes car Zetec 56 Focus AS I have flip with ST3 she wanted same key

eBay you can get the flip key for around £40 if your patient new or used could be cheaper from a scrappers ( any flip as we change the chip so a mondeo or s max will do )

example eBay Item number: 260253441557 or if you find used one the key blade is Item number: 350070589172 or Item number: 380037615962

You can have a used one the new blades are around £5 to £10 and can be cut there is a roll pin hold the blade in the fob a small punch size of a needle taps it out have the blade half open you see the pin in corner of blade

You can PROGRAM the buttons your self see hand book simple job

now the crunch unlike early Fords you can not program the PATS passive engine imobiliser your self (Passive anti theft system)

THIS HAS to be done by a Ford dealer they plug in the PC into the Diagnostic slot under right hand side of steering wheel and program GEM the car PC

They then prog in the imobiliser key they charge between £50 and £90

Soloution to Ford charging you

(Dont try this at home unless you are GOOD) this is what I did if you have 2 remote Keys You can risk it with one key but this stops your original remote key working

The none remote key (the spare that came with out buttons) is too hard to open and you destroy the chip getting it out as it is moulded in unlike the remote

Open your remote key for changing battery seperate the key into its 2 parts shaft and fob

If you look at eBay for Ford key fob the little black square on the end of fob is the PATS chip see photos there

you may be able to ease out the PATS chip set in a rubber cover fine knife or needle may do it DONT BREAK THE CHIP it faces the indent in the Key shaft

or plan "B" if its tight fit cut open the fob It needs a fine craft Knife be carefull along the glued seam

inside there is a small glass chip set in rubber facing the key blade gently pull this out do NOT squash it with pliers its fragile

the chip is self contained there are no wires or anything it is just a numbered chip and this number is entered in to the gem

This chip is already programed to your GEM on your car if its from your existing KEY

next do same with new flip key seperate into its parts the section with the battery in can be opened again with a craft knife The unit is glued together at the factory but gently is does come apart again along the seam very fine craft knife (sharp)

Take notice which way the spring fits as you need to put it back but there are only 2 ways it goes behind the button to flip it out

now take out the chip facing blade looks exactly like the one from remote key put your remote key one in its place (MAKE SURE ITS THE SAME WAY ROUND)

note the remote that does not change thats in the battery section thats ok just the glass chip

put the fob back together HOLD IT TOGETHER with tape for now TEST it with car incase the chip is upside down MAKE SURE CAR STARTS not the remote that does not change we program that b4 or after

next glue it back together I used the GEL super glue so it does not run down to the flip mechanism just keep the flip part clear of glue

Flip key now fully working

Your old remote will still unlock the car by remote and it will turn on the ign but now it wont start it

but if you hold your new flip key next to it you can start the car tight up against key hole

We use the dead key for warming up the car in winter on the drive

insert dead key hold new flip next to it start car you will find the ideal spot to hold the key with practise the car starts and runs

you lock the door with flip key and leave to warm up and melt the ice

IF some one did nick it the 1st time they turn it off or stall it it wont go again (no chip)

Your flip key will work perfectly for a cost of £45 Thats what I paid for the new blank on ebay last year and cutting

if you know a model maker let them split it in half for you to swap the chips over (the chips is about the size of a match but only half inch long

so you can do it your self or buy the key cheap get it cut then let the dealer prog it cost around £90

The dealer will tell you its a LAZER cut key a really good key cutter can do it with a key cutting milling machine Mine is not laser cut and fits perfectly

our local key cutter cobbler cut mine for a fiver

If any one has the older Focus Fiesta Mondeo or Ka with the round key (chubb) You can have the flip too

Jaguar is owned by Ford buy the Jag Flip key again on ebay you will see the blade is same style

example ebay Item number: 220247460220

buy the UK jag key for best results the USA one definatley needs the chip change

get it cut this time try the key in key out it may be possible to program the pats

some jags have different pats chips so if it wont program same again split original key swap chips over

This time you dont have to damage your original key you can just buy a spare remote and pull the chip from that as you can program the pats your self

You only need to buy the remote head not the whole key these are really cheap on ebay now

Done this one on a Ford StreetKA now has Jag Flip key very cool lol we like our flips lol ( works best with remote locks) but you can just have the flip and not use remote looks nice when you put your keys down jag Flip key lol

The Jaguar key has 4 buttons not three the Lock unlock are the same the Boot does the tailgate the Lights button will not work on the Ford so it becomes a spare button

just search ebay.co.uk "Ford Flip Key"

my new one is key less when it comes I will try updating these other two to keyless watch this space lol