Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HELP HEADACHE MK2 FOCUS WONT START

shaunie

hi all   had my car  sat in garage for couple of months  and  went to  get it out and battery was flat  so   charged battery   and still nothing 

brought  new battery and still nothing 

had clocks  took out and sent off to be checked come  back  no faults 

still nothing   turn  key and all i get is lights and thats as far as it  goes   comes up  on dash  engine system fault  

remote key working fine 

its a  05 plate  1,6  

I was just thinking it could be the starter motor has seized

was  running fine  before i put in  garage  arghhhhhh 

Problem with this can be as it was stored for a couple of months it could have had rats move in, resulting in wiring being cut.

the truth and nothing but the truth will help in answering the following question, did you at all touch positive and negative together when replacing the battery.

The steps you should take now are check all fuses, check engine bay that all plugs are connected etc and no wiring issues.

Based on what you have said so far your issue is with the Engine ECU, so try retrieving some codes with a obd2 reader. If you get no communication you need to do further tests but do this for now.

• Like 1

tried  with  scanner and  its coming up with error comunicating  

Ok, that's no good but still need to check this first before saying the ECU has issues.

1. Check all the fuses. Inside and in engine bay. And relays if you can.

2. Check the wiring at the ecu its in the engine bay next to the battery.

3. Check for a 5v ref signal with ignition on at any of the engine management sensors IE MAF sensor or crankshaft sensor, check all the pins to see if you find 5volts or near enough.

4. Disconnect all the engine connectors one by one if you cannot see a 5volts at any pin on the stated sensors. If you find 5volts comes back once you disconnect a certain sensor you need to test that sensor.

5........ if you want life to be easy just replace the engine ECU for one you know is working and if it work it works, if not you have to trace wires.

6 trace all wires push all connectors if loose.

• Like 1

thanks  mate   might  go  for easy life and   change ecu 

Do check fuses as it can be as simple as a popped engine fuse.

New ecu won't help, under bonnet fuse box, in the centre there is a connector lift the the arm up and pull out the connector, Give it a good spray with contact cleaner and make sure it's seated properly bye.

First thing to check is the immobiliser light, is it flashing a code by one long blink then a series of shorter blinks?

If it is then the HEC is either not seeing the key is present and not allowing the ECU to start the car.

If you can't connect with a scanner you know previously worked then there is certainly a communications issue.

i'm  getting the error  with  flashing light   as   no   comminication with PAT and ecu    ,   done a starter motor  test and thats  fine  ,  checked all fuses and  seem fine  ,  will do the   blinking  light again and see  if im  right on  the code 

just  done a  test  again  got in car   put key in   red  l.e.d  flashing like made then stops        then  1 flash    then 6  flashes so asuming its code 16  

Its a communication problem to the ECU, find out why and the car will start, it either wiring, connectors, relays or even the ECU itself.

These problems are not simple to fix, as replacing a ECU needs programming.

Try James's  suggestion of cleaning and reinserting engine harness at fuse box.

There is also a connector behind the passenger side kick panel, which you could try the same method.

I would certainly check the C19 connector in the engine fusebox especially if you had previously removed it for any reason, unless it is seated 100% properly this can cause the problem you are having. A faulty instrument cluster can also cause this issue or a wiring issue that prevents communication from happening.

Are you able to get it checked out on any other diagnostics as the diagnostics port should still function and would help narrow down where to be looking for the fault, ideally Forscan or IDS would be a good start.

Saw a video in another post where a fiesta wouldn't start, immobiliser light flashing and communication problem. It was solved by cleaning the earth point on the strut next to the battery. Just a thought.

will give it a try   thanks russ    , will try anything

gonna sound   mad this is  but  could it  be caused  by  me removing stereo when i put car in garage   its a long shot  lol call me  mad if you like