Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Bluetooth lockup and reset

Mark CDF

Hi,

We had a bit of a problem with our new Fiesta (mk 7) when the bluetooth locked up a few days ago. All other audio features etc were fine but try as we might just couldn't get any phone to talk to the car. Managed to get it working again (on Ford technical's advice) by dis/re-connecting the battery. After that all was fine again.

The problem coincided with using a tomtom One sat nav linked to a Sony Ericsson C902 via bluetooth for traffic and "safety camera" updates in the car for the first time.

Haven't tried the setup since and the car's bluetooth has been absolutely fine!

Anyone else encountered similar?

Cheers

Mark

Not had a problem like you, I just have my iPhone connected though and use Sat Nav software on it, it did take me a while to get it suessed though, and now I just leave the bluetooth on my phone switched on, then when I get into the car and turn the ignition on it picks the phone up but it has had a couple of glitches and I've had to go into the menu to re-detect the phone. Yesterday it failed to connect and I couldn't get it to work again without switching the stereo off and then on.

It works fine on the whole but is by no means glitch free.

• 3 months later...

We had a bit of a problem with our new Fiesta (mk 7) when the bluetooth locked up a few days ago. All other audio features etc were fine but try as we might just couldn't get any phone to talk to the car. Managed to get it working again (on Ford technical's advice) by dis/re-connecting the battery. After that all was fine again.

I've got exactly the same problem as this, and its taken down my USB port as well by the looks of it, so task for tomorrow is to disconnect / reconnect the battery!

Now this maybe a silly question, but is there anything I need to watchout for when doing this - Radio codes, alarms, immobilisers (yes, thats probably spelt wrong) etc?

I've got exactly the same problem as this, and its taken down my USB port as well by the looks of it, so task for tomorrow is to disconnect / reconnect the battery!

Now this maybe a silly question, but is there anything I need to watchout for when doing this - Radio codes, alarms, immobilisers (yes, thats probably spelt wrong) etc?

Exactly the same thing happened to me on the day of the FOC meet on the 17th! (Maybe I mentioned it at the time, I can't remember). It fixed itself up fine in the end. Although your plan with the battery is probably quicker so I wont bother going into details. GL ALL!!! :)

Exactly the same thing happened to me on the day of the FOC meet on the 17th! (Maybe I mentioned it at the time, I can't remember). It fixed itself up fine in the end. Although your plan with the battery is probably quicker so I wont bother going into details. GL ALL!!! :)

You did mention it....although I had completely forgotten that - how long did it take to sort itself out?

You did mention it....although I had completely forgotten that - how long did it take to sort itself out?

About three days of half baked attempts. Then after about 4 days it wasn't working still. What I did was manually hook the car up to the phone and the phone up to the car, some time is dropped the connection after about 1 minute. In the end it stayed connected though and has been fine since. Have you tried going into your phones settings, doing a scan, then pairing with the car manually, and vise versa with the car?

About three days of half baked attempts. Then after about 4 days it wasn't working still. What I did was manually hook the car up to the phone and the phone up to the car, some time is dropped the connection after about 1 minute. In the end it stayed connected though and has been fine since. Have you tried going into your phones settings, doing a scan, then pairing with the car manually, and vise versa with the car?

Yeah, tried the manual bits from both sides a good 5-10 times on Sat just after it went down...with minimal sucess. Come Sunday, the phone was failing to even see the car's bluetooth at all and the USB port wouldn't read.

I don't seem to be able to turn the bluetooth off in the car (it just turns straight back on) and I can't debond my phone (delete it from the list) so I'm pretty sure its the car not the phone...although time will tell.

My master plan to play with the battery has so far been scuppered by heavy rain, so might go and sit in the car and have another couple of attempts with the manual connect.

One thing you could try from inside the car (in the dry) is simply remove and replace the fuse. However as the head unit will be "on", there is a slight chance of the fuse blowing when you re-insert. Manual will say which fuse to pull

One thing you could try from inside the car (in the dry) is simply remove and replace the fuse. However as the head unit will be "on", there is a slight chance of the fuse blowing when you re-insert. Manual will say which fuse to pull

Fuse 21 it is then!......

Edit:

Right, pulled both the "Audio System / Bluetooth" and "Audio System / Instrument cluster" fuses and TBH nothing has changed - the stereo didnt even forget any of its settings, so I'm guessing I didn't do that quite right...may have to resort to disconnecting the battery afterall.

I'm sure you've all been on the edge of your seats waiting to see if I manage to sort this.....well something like that anyway...

As expected, pulling off the battery negative lead seems to have done the job. To my surprise, the only settings the car seems to have forgotten are the time and date - will have to see if its lost anything else next time I drive it, but so far, so good.

• 2 weeks later...

EXCELLENT NEWS!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Nope, looks like its gone again. USB is still working, but the bluetooth is doing exactly what it was before. Think I might need to take it into a Ford dealer to get them to look at it.

When mine did it, I pulled the fuse, resets it, alternatively, the easiest way, on the iPhone specially, go in to blue tooth, and forget the device, then search, and it finds it, re-input the code it offers, and your off again!

• 1 month later...

My bluetooth also stopped working on my Fiesta and it took the USB/Auxiliary with it.

This is the second time I have had problems with it. The first time I switched the unit off and on while I was getting a call which caused it to start working in reverse. When I switched the car off the radio will come on but not play anything. When I switched the car on it would switch the unit off.

I think that Ford should do a firmware update to fix these kind of problems.

When it all failed on my Mk6, I pulled out the fuse, and back in, it was fine!

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, looks like its gone again. USB is still working, but the bluetooth is doing exactly what it was before. Think I might need to take it into a Ford dealer to get them to look at it.

Any news on the fix?

I'm currently having the exact same problems with my Fiesta.

Thanks

Erk

I had a dealer put an update onto the Bluetooth/USB module a few weeks back and so far the bluetooth is working fine. My USB is now playing up, but that might be the USB stick itself - still looking into that one.

If you car was built in 2009 or before its quite likely that there is an update that can be put onto it, if its 2010 then I'm not sure, but worth asking.

Hi,

The problem coincided with using a TomTom One sat nav linked to a Sony Ericsson C902 via bluetooth for traffic and "safety camera" updates in the car for the first time.

Haven't tried the setup since and the car's bluetooth has been absolutely fine!

Cheers

Mark

take it down your dealer and get them to update the firmware, i've read it a bit on here then it kept happening to me, so had them fix it and now works fine again.

was especially problematic when turning the key from pos 2 to ignition, would freeze then.

• 6 months later...

aahhhhhhh!! I cannot believe it!! I have fallen foal to this!! I forgot about my bluetooth issues with my iPhone when the satnav is running on it, stopped the car to get some petrol and bam! The car failed to reconnect the bluetooth because the satnav was running, if I had stopped the satnav (Copilot) it would have worked fine as expected. But I cannot get it to work again! I made the mistake of deleting the Ford audio from the iPhone but I am now stuck.

I have reset and reloaded my iPhone OS, but no luck. As said above I cannot remove my phone from the stereo, turn bluetooth off, detect another phone. It's stuck! I have tried to remove the fuses but unfortunately my car doesn't have a diagram of what fuses are where so tried to work it out. But it's still the same, is my only option to take it to my dealer to pay for a software update? Mines a 59 plate, how much will it cost me? Or will disconnected the earth on my battery fix it? Please help as I love and use this function a lot!!

Do I just undo the negative (Black) battery terminal and then after a couple of mins reattach it? Will I get sparks? Will everything else work ok if I do this?

Can't answer your question mate but I'm taking my Fiesta to the dealer tomorrow to have the Econocheck check done for a week. I'm having some bluetooth issues (locking up/no sound) so I'm gonna ask them to check firmware and see if an update is available (mine was built July 2010)

Can't answer your question mate but I'm taking my Fiesta to the dealer tomorrow to have the Econocheck check done for a week. I'm having some Bluetooth issues (locking up/no sound) so I'm gonna ask them to check firmware and see if an update is available (mine was built July 2010)

Thanks mate, post back here what they say. I may disconnect my battery on Friday as I have the day off. But if they offer you a firmware update I may take that route? My car was delivered beginning of September ish so the build can't be far off yours.

Thanks mate, post back here what they say. I may disconnect my battery on Friday as I have the day off. But if they offer you a firmware update I may take that route? My car was delivered beginning of September ish so the build can't be far off yours.

Was in for just over 2 hours this morning. Eventually they came back and said there is an update available but their comuter system to Ford is playing up. Every time they try and download it from Ford it gets to around 75% then disconnects. Rebooked for next Thursday.

Was in for just over 2 hours this morning. Eventually they came back and said there is an update available but their comuter system to Ford is playing up. Every time they try and download it from Ford it gets to around 75% then disconnects. Rebooked for next Thursday.

Thanks mate, did they say how much it will cost to install the update?