Photo
- - - - -

Tyre Pressure Observations

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 DanGull

DanGull

Area Rep: Midlands (Despite owning a Seat)

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts
  • Ford Model: Formerly a Mk7 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TiVCT now a Seat Leon FR+ 2.0TDI 170
  • Year: 2014

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:35 PM

I always like to experiment with the tyre pressures on my cars to try and get the best possible fuel economy.

I did a run from the Midlands - Southend last weekend with all the wheels at the recommended tyre pressures for when the car is carrying a low load (32psi on the front and 26psi on the back) and got an average (by the computer) of 44 mpg. I actually got 306 miles from the tank before the light came on.

Same run today, but with the tyres at the maximum load pressure (35psi on the front and 41psi on the back).

The difference? Average of 47mpg by the computer - but actually got 356 out of the tank before the light came on.

Yup - 50 miles different. Identical roads, identical style of driving as far as possible. My advice - top 'em up.

I'm on the X pack 17s.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 sussex

sussex

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Ford Model: Was - 1.4 Zetec / Now - 1.6 ZS

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:27 PM

41 on the back!! !Removed! hell thats a lot more than 26!

Ive got the X pack 17's too and always keep them on 32 and 26, will pump them up to the max tomorrow for my 50 mile work commute and see what difference I get.

Also, any difference in handling? I thought you get worse handling/cornering on higher pressures?

#3 DanGull

DanGull

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts
  • Ford Model: Formerly a Mk7 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TiVCT now a Seat Leon FR+ 2.0TDI 170

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:31 PM

I didn't notice any difference in handling. 41 may seem like a lot more than 26, but in real terms they're both quite soft really.

#4 hedgepig

hedgepig

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.0 125 Titanium X
  • Year: 2013

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:09 AM

I didn't notice any difference in handling. 41 may seem like a lot more than 26, but in real terms they're both quite soft really.

I agree that it does seem quite firm at the back but that's some difference isn't it?

I'll have to give it a go I guess.......

#5 hendrix

hendrix

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Ford Model: fusion uk

Posted 05 October 2009 - 12:28 PM

Brill way to boost economy :lol: how ever this increases tyre wear so its up to you with brains to trial it and work out if it proves better. basicly tyres will wear out faster.

#6 slappyhaze

slappyhaze

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk7 Fiesta 1.6Ti-VCT Titanium

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:44 PM

Just my 2 pence:

I let my pressures slip a bit for a few months without checking (can't remember exactly what they ended up but it was high 20s all round). Conscience got the better and I decided to put an even 30 on all wheels the other week. I didn't really look at the fuel economy change (my driving style is erratic anyway), but I DID notice the handling get worse almost immediately, especially in the wet.

For me a car that feels right and not like its gonna dart off the road on the next bend or the back end is gonna end up in front far outweighs needing to fill up 1 or 2 times less per year.

#7 DanGull

DanGull

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:49 PM

Just my 2 pence:

I let my pressures slip a bit for a few months without checking (can't remember exactly what they ended up but it was high 20s all round). Conscience got the better and I decided to put an even 30 on all wheels the other week. I didn't really look at the fuel economy change (my driving style is erratic anyway), but I DID notice the handling get worse almost immediately, especially in the wet.

For me a car that feels right and not like its gonna dart off the road on the next bend or the back end is gonna end up in front far outweighs needing to fill up 1 or 2 times less per year.

1 or 2 times a year? An extra 50 miles per tank is a full tank every six tanks. As I've said, I've noticed no difference in handling and I drive hard.

Hendrix - you are of course correct, I shall keep an eye on the wear rates of the tyre - not that I have much to compare them to!

However, a full set of top spec tyres is around 400. If I'm getting 15% extra out of each tank, I would suggest that the fuel savings outweigh the increased tyre wear.

#8 coysht

coysht

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk7 Fiesta Zetec S
Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:59 PM

Hows the MPG these days?
I only got just over 300 miles out of the first tank or two and I'd really like to be able to do a 330(ish) mile round trip on one tank - especially since the tank is 10+ litres bigger than my Mk4 and that could almost do it (and did once or twice), even when driven like it was stolen.

#9 irononreverse

irononreverse

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Zetec Mk7

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:33 PM

Hows the MPG these days?
I only got just over 300 miles out of the first tank or two and I'd really like to be able to do a 330(ish) mile round trip on one tank - especially since the tank is 10+ litres bigger than my Mk4 and that could almost do it (and did once or twice), even when driven like it was stolen.

My MPG for driving around town seems to have settled around 35-38 mpg, which is near enough to Ford's quoted figures for urban driving, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Filled her up today, miles til empty shows around 280.7 miles but it stayed at that for the 20 odd miles that I drove around today. Went down to 280.4 then went back up to 280.7. I'm off down to London tomorrow, roughly a 240 mile round trip so I'll see what it's displaying after that.

#10 Hook

Hook

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Ford Model: Zetec
Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:43 PM

My MPG for driving around town seems to have settled around 35-38 mpg, which is near enough to Ford's quoted figures for urban driving, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Filled her up today, miles til empty shows around 280.7 miles but it stayed at that for the 20 odd miles that I drove around today. Went down to 280.4 then went back up to 280.7. I'm off down to London tomorrow, roughly a 240 mile round trip so I'll see what it's displaying after that.

That makes me glad I've got the diesel... even doing a lot of driving around Sheffield my MPG since I filled up last week is 57mph. I haven't done any motorway driving in that time, it's all around Sheffield and then out along the country lanes to Penistone for work!

#11 Michael P

Michael P

Traitor to Ford

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Name: Michael
  • Ford Model: Vauxhall Corsa
  • Year: 2011

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:41 PM

it's all around Sheffield and then out along the country lanes to Penistone for work!

seriously?!

#12 Hook

Hook

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:30 PM

seriously?!

Seriously... and I work at the school there too :-"

#13 Michael P

Michael P

Traitor to Ford

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:35 PM

Seriously... and I work at the school there too :-"

wow.

!Removed!.

#14 Hook

Hook

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:38 PM

wow.

We give out celebration pens, that the kids rub the letters off, so they say '!Removed! rammar'... haha

#15 Michael P

Michael P

Traitor to Ford

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:44 PM

We give out celebration pens, that the kids rub the letters off, so they say '!Removed! rammar'... haha

ohhhhhh i am going to penistone

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users