Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Pressure Observations

DanGull

I always like to experiment with the tyre pressures on my cars to try and get the best possible fuel economy.

I did a run from the Midlands - Southend last weekend with all the wheels at the recommended tyre pressures for when the car is carrying a low load (32psi on the front and 26psi on the back) and got an average (by the computer) of 44 mpg. I actually got 306 miles from the tank before the light came on.

Same run today, but with the tyres at the maximum load pressure (35psi on the front and 41psi on the back).

The difference? Average of 47mpg by the computer - but actually got 356 out of the tank before the light came on.

Yup - 50 miles different. Identical roads, identical style of driving as far as possible. My advice - top 'em up.

I'm on the X pack 17s.

41 on the back!! !Removed! hell thats a lot more than 26!

Ive got the X pack 17's too and always keep them on 32 and 26, will pump them up to the max tomorrow for my 50 mile work commute and see what difference I get.

Also, any difference in handling? I thought you get worse handling/cornering on higher pressures?

I didn't notice any difference in handling. 41 may seem like a lot more than 26, but in real terms they're both quite soft really.

I didn't notice any difference in handling. 41 may seem like a lot more than 26, but in real terms they're both quite soft really.

I agree that it does seem quite firm at the back but that's some difference isn't it?

I'll have to give it a go I guess.......

Brill way to boost economy :lol: how ever this increases tyre wear so its up to you with brains to trial it and work out if it proves better. basicly tyres will wear out faster.

Just my 2 pence:

I let my pressures slip a bit for a few months without checking (can't remember exactly what they ended up but it was high 20s all round). Conscience got the better and I decided to put an even 30 on all wheels the other week. I didn't really look at the fuel economy change (my driving style is erratic anyway), but I DID notice the handling get worse almost immediately, especially in the wet.

For me a car that feels right and not like its gonna dart off the road on the next bend or the back end is gonna end up in front far outweighs needing to fill up 1 or 2 times less per year.

Just my 2 pence:

I let my pressures slip a bit for a few months without checking (can't remember exactly what they ended up but it was high 20s all round). Conscience got the better and I decided to put an even 30 on all wheels the other week. I didn't really look at the fuel economy change (my driving style is erratic anyway), but I DID notice the handling get worse almost immediately, especially in the wet.

For me a car that feels right and not like its gonna dart off the road on the next bend or the back end is gonna end up in front far outweighs needing to fill up 1 or 2 times less per year.

1 or 2 times a year? An extra 50 miles per tank is a full tank every six tanks. As I've said, I've noticed no difference in handling and I drive hard.

Hendrix - you are of course correct, I shall keep an eye on the wear rates of the tyre - not that I have much to compare them to!

However, a full set of top spec tyres is around £400. If I'm getting 15% extra out of each tank, I would suggest that the fuel savings outweigh the increased tyre wear.

• 3 weeks later...

Hows the MPG these days?

I only got just over 300 miles out of the first tank or two and I'd really like to be able to do a 330(ish) mile round trip on one tank - especially since the tank is 10+ litres bigger than my Mk4 and that could almost do it (and did once or twice), even when driven like it was stolen.

Hows the MPG these days?

I only got just over 300 miles out of the first tank or two and I'd really like to be able to do a 330(ish) mile round trip on one tank - especially since the tank is 10+ litres bigger than my Mk4 and that could almost do it (and did once or twice), even when driven like it was stolen.

My MPG for driving around town seems to have settled around 35-38 mpg, which is near enough to Ford's quoted figures for urban driving, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Filled her up today, miles til empty shows around 280.7 miles but it stayed at that for the 20 odd miles that I drove around today. Went down to 280.4 then went back up to 280.7. I'm off down to London tomorrow, roughly a 240 mile round trip so I'll see what it's displaying after that.

My MPG for driving around town seems to have settled around 35-38 mpg, which is near enough to Ford's quoted figures for urban driving, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Filled her up today, miles til empty shows around 280.7 miles but it stayed at that for the 20 odd miles that I drove around today. Went down to 280.4 then went back up to 280.7. I'm off down to London tomorrow, roughly a 240 mile round trip so I'll see what it's displaying after that.

That makes me glad I've got the diesel... even doing a lot of driving around Sheffield my MPG since I filled up last week is 57mph. I haven't done any motorway driving in that time, it's all around Sheffield and then out along the country lanes to Penistone for work!

it's all around Sheffield and then out along the country lanes to Penistone for work!

seriously?!

Seriously... and I work at the school there too :-"

wow.

!Removed!.

We give out celebration pens, that the kids rub the letters off, so they say '!Removed! rammar'... haha

ohhhhhh i am going to penistone

Okay, just got back from London, haven't checked properly yet but I averaged 42.5mpg, have covered a total distance of around 280 miles and have about 60 odd miles remaining.

So according to my original displayed 280 miles remaining from a full tank, I've gotten 60 miles for free! :lol: That's even with driving quite aggressively, lots of stop start traffic in London. (leaving at rush hour is never a good idea) and reaching 80mph on the odd occasion on the motorway.

got my tyres filled with nitrogen the other day apparently lasts longer in the tyre keeping presure correct for longer also gives a harder ride and there seems to be less roll when cornering so we shall see how it does.http://www.uniflate.com/

You know that air is nearly 80% nitrogen anyway right? I hope you didn't pay to have 'nitrogen' pumped into your tyres. I will be amazed if you notice any difference.

You know that air is nearly 80% nitrogen anyway right? I hope you didn't pay to have 'nitrogen' pumped into your tyres. I will be amazed if you notice any difference.

no i did not pay and yes i do notice the difference on cornering and also in mpg have a read on that site i posted.

I did overinflate my tires but found it a harder, noiser ride and MPG did increase but have decided to go down to the norm.

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering if any of you guy's can tell me if increasing the back tyre pressure to 27 will make any difference? How does the car handle with the tyres o the maximum load pressure?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club